3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

January 2013 Racing Thread (Read 514 times)

J-L-C

Goseong 5k Race. Goal: <16:49 (PR)

Having a brutal winter here in S. Korea. Ice and white stuff everywhere. Definitely a hurtlocker situation for me to train in as I'm most unaccustomed to such weather malarkey. This race will hopefully be a good indication that it's paying off.

I am not racing (or running) this month HOWEVER my 11 year old son will be. Since he is doing all my running for me it's only fair that he not only race for me but that I put his I mean our goals out here in the racing thread.

Shiver by the River 5k second in the series Jan 13-Reading, PA His past 5k last month was a little over 35:00  I believe however given his current 2 mile time and the fact that when he did the 5k last month his last mile was 2.5 minutes faster,  we have encouraged he has decided to try for 30 minute chip time (there are no chips but will start his garmin as he crosses the starting line since he'll be far in the back.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

MrFinn

1/12

10 Mile
        NJ Winter Trail Series Race #3

Lewis Morris Park, Morristown, NJ

Goal: None, really.

HasherRick is the RD and I love running those trails, so this basically just to get some work in then hang out and have a beer or two with Rick afterward.

This was a 5 mile loop. My ass was hurting from the hills and I contemplated cutting it short after 1 loop but I hurtlockered myself and ran the other.  Actually negative split this thing.  No walk breaks either.  My ass did not like it tho, as it was throbbing the whole drive home.  Time was 1:49:05.

Got to chat with Hasher Rick over a couple of beers post race.  Good to see him again.

Not at it at all. 

#artbydmcbride

{{{Mr.Finn's throbbin' ass}}}

Runners run

kcam

This was a 5 mile loop. My ass was hurting from the hills and I contemplated cutting it short after 1 loop but I hurtlockered myself and ran the other.  Actually negative split this thing.  No walk breaks either.  My ass did not like it tho, as it was throbbing the whole drive home.  Time was 1:49:05.

Got to chat with Hasher Rick over a couple of beers post race.  Good to see him again.

Note to Finn:   when you go out on the trails with a bunch of other dudes you NEVER come out saying your ass is throbbing.

MTA - nice job on sucking it up and racing the 2nd loop.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

1/19 - Swampstomper 50k (actually, 32.6 miles) - 7 hours. If muddy then 8 hours.

Apparently the mud is horrible bad, with loads of standing water.  More than penance for last year being dry. Methinks it will be 8+ hours...

...of fun! EMBRACE THE MUD!

xhristopher

Disney World Half Marathon on 12 Jan. This is a goal race for me so hopefully I've played my training cards well enough to go for a PR (sub 1:22:52).

No PR for me but had a good race, 1:23:53. Humidity was at 96% so it was tough to shred my legs as much as I hoped due to not being able to breath as well as I had hoped. Still, I'm happy. I went after it and ran hard.

Glad to hear you hurtlockered the race and WOOHOOOO to negative splits Tim!

Nice job in humid conditions Chris!

Well Frankie kicked but. Since he started towards the end of the pack he didn't start his watch until he got to the starting line. His "chip" time was 27:48 I believe and the net time was 28:02 I believe. Very proud of him. 7 minute PR from last months race. I can't wait to see how he does once we incorporate speed work into his training and get his long run to 5 miles.

MTA: His splits

9:40, 8:55,8:24, and 7:08 for the last .12 MUCH better than last month!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

This is almost the same route I ran a trail 10 miler on in November, but throw in some snow and mud and it is really hard to predict what the conditions will be like.  There will be some good competition for me though.  I know 4 of the guys racing it and all are +/- 10 minutes or so of my marathon time so should help keep pushing the pace.  If I had to throw out a time, I would say <4:35.

The competition didn't really show up today.  They were there, but not pushing the pace.  The guys I was worried about were never in the front.  Oh well.  Ran the first 3 loops with a couple of guys and pace was a moderate effort.  Right before the 4th lap I decided to pick up the pace a little bit and never saw them again.  Course conditions weren't bad, a little snow but traction was generally ok, although there were a few downhills that were so steep and icy you basically had to slide down on your butt.  I think the course was a about a mile short unless my GPS was off.  Finished 1st OA and in 4:16:06.

#artbydmcbride

2:00:09

Runners run

2:00:09

Great job!   10 more seconds and you have 1:59.  You might have to give in and actually taper Big grin.

Note to Finn:   when you go out on the trails with a bunch of other dudes you NEVER come out saying your ass is throbbing.

MTA - nice job on sucking it up and racing the 2nd loop.

Heh.  And +1 to the MTA.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

X -- there's a PR in you for sure, you just need better conditions!

ilene -- so close!  Nice race!

flatfooter -- glad the course wasn't as bad as you'd expected, but bummer your competition wasn't there to force the issue more.  Still, 1OA is pretty sweet!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

Thanks guys!  I am kicking myself for stopping at so many water stations now!

Runners run

I've seen mention of "The Geetah Straw" and some other gizmo that you plop onto the top of the water cup.  Prevents spilling, and lets you drink more easily on the run.

Personally, I grab the cup(s) and drink at a slower pace or a brisk walk.  I wish I could drink 'em at race-pace, but it's never happened yet without either wearing the fluid or coughing/choking on it. Blush

-- Dick LeBeau