3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

January 2013 Racing Thread (Read 514 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Slo

Triple D 100k Snow Bike Race  Jan 20 2013

Goal was to finish under 8hrs. The official times are not posted yet but If I base it off of mt cell phone as to when I called my DW to tell her I was was safely in then I just squeaked under the 8 hour mark. I don't remember if I got my beer first or called her first...could swing 5 minutes eitherway.

Injured:

There was a tremendous amount of ice on this course. I honestly don't think any biker finished without going down. One of mine involved landing hard on my knee. Lots of swelling and has made running a little difficult. Although I think I'm fighting some runners knee as well. I was nursing this knee prior to the Triple D.

Here's one Mans take

It's long, 3 parts in reverse chronological order.

Trent:

Me too

Thanks, everyone.

My boy says he can run that far two weekends in a row .... he can run that far two weekends in a row!

Nader - 5:01.5 is great!  Congratulations.  I'm agreeing with Spaniel on the 800 and below - leave that for the fast guys.  I won't bother running shorter than 1mile or 1500 this Winter.  I used to try to run 400 and 800 too but I just plain suck (even more than I do at the mile) down there.

Some really good racing in the hurtlocker this weekend.

Dude, there are two types of 1500 runners...1500/5000 guys and 1500/800 guys.  And they are worlds apart outside of the 1500m.

I've run 4:33 for the mile but I can count on one hand the number of times I've been under 2:10 in the 800m and still have enough left over to pick my nose.  Last time I ran it I ran a 16:17 5K 2 hours before....got 3rd behind 2 national-class runners....got my ass handed to me in the 800m by half a dozen jokers who didn't even look like runners.

These are encouraging perspectives.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

mbehr - 1:18 eh?  Hard for me to relate to the fact that you may have been disappointed in this one cuz that is a very nice race result!  5th AG, not shabby at all.  Did I miss a RR?  I'd love to hear how your race played out (including the corral thing).

mbehr - 1:18 eh?  Hard for me to relate to the fact that you may have been disappointed in this one cuz that is a very nice race result!  5th AG, not shabby at all.  Did I miss a RR?  I'd love to hear how your race played out (including the corral thing).

No, I didn't post anything.  Got back home at about 1:30 in the morning and have been in and out of the office at work.  About all I time for was updating my log and updating the race thread.  I put most of the details in the log, although it's not a complete RR by any means.  It's copied below.  Shortly after I finished, they changed the course from Green to Yellow.  I'm not looking for excuses but the heat didn't help.  Looking through their info, this looked to be one of the hottest starts on record.  That and decent winds from the SE kept the furnace going.  I'm more concerned about my hamstring though.

Looking at my last marathon result, I went through the half in 1:18:40.  This was only 20 sec slower than yesterday and I feel like I'm in better shape than I was in October 2011.

From the log:

Bottom line - didn't run what I wanted to. There are a lot of other things that went on and by all means, I know I can run better than this.

Alarm went off at 4:15 am.  Out the door at about 4:40 to catch a cab to the start.  Noticed right off the bat that it was warmer and more humid than the other days.  Temps were 72° at 5 am.  Made it to the start, checked in the bag, hit the port-o-potty and then waited in a big, sardine-like group for the corrals to open.  They went through all the announcements, speakers, etc. and at about 10 min before race start, opened the corrals.  It was mass chaos as everyone was trying to get in.  After it all settled and the wheelchair athlete's took off, they allowed the corrals to move up closer to the start.  I squeezed my way up fairly close to the start.  I could hardly move, stretch or do anything else but stand there.

At start time, they started everyone about 2 minutes behind the elites.  We got going fairly well.  I was in the clear about 800 m in and just kept pace as I moved up.  Hit mile 1 in 5:45 and thought I would latch on to a couple of runners from there.  By mile three I was already drenched in sweat.  From there, it started to happen....5:55, 6:01, 5:40, 6:07.  Breathing was fine but legs were not wanting to move.  At Mile 8, the right hammy started twinging and not feeling too good.  Any left turn or slight incline, I could feel it more.  At mile 3, the one runner I was with started to pull away.  From there to mile 8, I didn't get passed.  I had picked off about 4-5 elite women during the 5 mile stretch but was pretty much in no mans land running my own race.  After 8, it was 6:05, 6:01 (58:46 for 10), 6:02, 6:13 and 7:21 for the final 1.1.  There were about 4 people that passed me in the last 4 miles.  Picked off a couple other elite seeded runners (one female and one male) during the final 4 miles.

Once I stopped and got through the finish area, I grabbed a water and tried going back around onto the course to look for Kerry and a few others we new.  I tried jogging and my hamstring was screaming back at that point.

Finished 28 OA out of 14,000 and was 5 AG.  Like I said, I know I have a better half race in me.  Aside from the poor race result, the trip was fantastic and it was nice being in 70°+ weather at the end of January.  The course was great with good scenery.  I'm sure all those that were leaving the clubs at 6:30-7am thought we were idiots out there running.

Feeling the growl again

Crap, mbehr.  Is this the same injury that was causing you fits before?  We're all so broken in here I have a hard time keeping track of who has what.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Crap, mbehr.  Is this the same injury that was causing you fits before?  We're all so broken in here I have a hard time keeping track of who has what.

My big crutch over the last couple of years have been the achilles (2007, 2009, 2012).  In 2011, I had a few hamstring issues that would "pop-up" unannounced.  This one started last Thursday when I did the first stride at the end of the run.  Took it easy since then to get to Sunday.  Felt it a little on Friday and it was much better on Saturday.

No, I didn't post anything.  Got back home at about 1:30 in the morning and have been in and out of the office at work.  About all I time for was updating my log and updating the race thread.  I put most of the details in the log, although it's not a complete RR by any means.  It's copied below.  Shortly after I finished, they changed the course from Green to Yellow.  I'm not looking for excuses but the heat didn't help.  Looking through their info, this looked to be one of the hottest starts on record.  That and decent winds from the SE kept the furnace going.  I'm more concerned about my hamstring though.

Looking at my last marathon result, I went through the half in 1:18:40.  This was only 20 sec slower than yesterday and I feel like I'm in better shape than I was in October 2011.

From the log:

Bottom line - didn't run what I wanted to. There are a lot of other things that went on and by all means, I know I can run better than this.

Alarm went off at 4:15 am.  Out the door at about 4:40 to catch a cab to the start.  Noticed right off the bat that it was warmer and more humid than the other days.  Temps were 72° at 5 am.  Made it to the start, checked in the bag, hit the port-o-potty and then waited in a big, sardine-like group for the corrals to open.  They went through all the announcements, speakers, etc. and at about 10 min before race start, opened the corrals.  It was mass chaos as everyone was trying to get in.  After it all settled and the wheelchair athlete's took off, they allowed the corrals to move up closer to the start.  I squeezed my way up fairly close to the start.  I could hardly move, stretch or do anything else but stand there.

At start time, they started everyone about 2 minutes behind the elites.  We got going fairly well.  I was in the clear about 800 m in and just kept pace as I moved up.  Hit mile 1 in 5:45 and thought I would latch on to a couple of runners from there.  By mile three I was already drenched in sweat.  From there, it started to happen....5:55, 6:01, 5:40, 6:07.  Breathing was fine but legs were not wanting to move.  At Mile 8, the right hammy started twinging and not feeling too good.  Any left turn or slight incline, I could feel it more.  At mile 3, the one runner I was with started to pull away.  From there to mile 8, I didn't get passed.  I had picked off about 4-5 elite women during the 5 mile stretch but was pretty much in no mans land running my own race.  After 8, it was 6:05, 6:01 (58:46 for 10), 6:02, 6:13 and 7:21 for the final 1.1.  There were about 4 people that passed me in the last 4 miles.  Picked off a couple other elite seeded runners (one female and one male) during the final 4 miles.

Once I stopped and got through the finish area, I grabbed a water and tried going back around onto the course to look for Kerry and a few others we new.  I tried jogging and my hamstring was screaming back at that point.

Finished 28 OA out of 14,000 and was 5 AG.  Like I said, I know I have a better half race in me.  Aside from the poor race result, the trip was fantastic and it was nice being in 70°+ weather at the end of January.  The course was great with good scenery.  I'm sure all those that were leaving the clubs at 6:30-7am thought we were idiots out there running.

Looks like the weather got you more than the hammy.  Still 28/14,000 plus beating two elites? That is a great day's work.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

Looks like the weather got you more than the hammy.  Still 28/14,000 plus beating two elites? That is a great day's work.

Agree.  Get that hamstring healed up.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Keep healthy, doc!

Ya. Got beat down, so taking a lil break before roaring again.

Now that January is well behind us, it's time to announce the coveted winner of Spaniel's beer.  Despite the time of the year, the month was still full of races.  Some hit their goals, some did not.  There must be a reason why the two efforts that stand-out the most to me top the list.  It must be that in order to do well in January, you must forget the shorter stuff and go for the 50k's.  Hat's off to Flatfooter for his overall win and rockin time and honarable mention goes to Trent for his new PR in the Swampstomper.

Flatfooter - here's your beer:

P.S. You can share with Trent if you want but you may want to check first if it's already on his list.

Now that January is well behind us, it's time to announce the coveted winner of Spaniel's beer.  Despite the time of the year, the month was still full of races.  Some hit their goals, some did not.  There must be a reason why the two efforts that stand-out the most to me top the list.  It must be that in order to do well in January, you must forget the shorter stuff and go for the 50k's.  Hat's off to Flatfooter for his overall win and rockin time and honarable mention goes to Trent for his new PR in the Swampstomper.

P.S. You can share with Trent if you want but you may want to check first if it's already on his list.

Damn!  I did not expect that.  But I'll take free beer any day  Big grin  There were some pretty amazing performances by all, so even being considered is humbling.  Speaking of free beer, anyone who is in the northern Illinois area can look me up for some free home brew.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Nice job Flatfooter! A win + beer is pretty sweet.

There was some pretty impressive shorter stuff too. Quite a few fast 5Ks and one not too shabby 1500m.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Super cool and worthy of a special spot in the house to hang and display it.

Nice job, Ilene! That all sounds pretty real to me.

Ran a benefit 5K Monday for special-needs kids. The organizers' inconsistent traffic control made me a little nervous....some of the kids participating can be a little unpredictable, and we had to share a stretch of road with traffic. But everything worked out.

More important: handmade winners' plaques created by the kids themselves! THIS was super cool and truly memorable. Better than any medal.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hat's off to Flatfooter for his overall win and rockin time and honarable mention goes to Trent for his new PR in the Swampstomper.

Congrats, flatfooter!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau