3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Bekele over Farah and Geb - truly Hurtlocker-worthy (Read 40 times)

Feeling the growl again

LINK TO VIDEO

It's worth 6 minutes of your life to see one of the most exciting finishes ever.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

LINK TO VIDEO

It's worth 6 minutes of your life to see one of the most exciting finishes ever.

Oh man!  Even though I knew the result that was unbelievably exciting.  Well done Farah and Bekele.  Thanks for posting that vid, Andy.

Talk about a kick in the last few seconds!

Feeling the growl again

Talk about a kick in the last few seconds!

I thought Mo was going to take it in the same manner he's won every major race the past couple years when he lit the afterburners 400m out and closed the gap.  Whether it was just a little far to the finish line to keep that up or Bekele's response was equally strong it was hard to tell, but it was a nail-biter.  Supposedly 58 (Farah) vs 60 (Bekele) over the last quarter.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

So, is this how you beat Mo on the track?

I like that Kawauchi and Fujiwara were running too.

And we run because we like it
            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

So, is this how you beat Mo on the track?

This is what I didn't like about the World Championships.  Mo has proven over and over that you can't sit on a slow pace and hope to out-kick him (now what, 3rd-fastest 1500m runner ever).  Here, Bekele took the pace out hard enough that he had that gap to work with and it took the sting out of Mo's kick.  Yup, I think this is exactly how you would beat Mo on the track.

#artbydmcbride

This is what I didn't like about the World Championships.  Mo has proven over and over that you can't sit on a slow pace and hope to out-kick him (now what, 3rd-fastest 1500m runner ever).  Here, Bekele took the pace out hard enough that he had that gap to work with and it took the sting out of Mo's kick.  Yup, I think this is exactly how you would beat Mo on the track.

Good to know!   (for when I am in that position)   Cool

Runners run

And.. This would require teamwork? I imagine its hard to set the pace yourself for sub 1255-ish.

The last few high profile races were interesting. Evan Jager tops my list and I cant wait to see what he does next year. Could Rupp always be the second best American in the 5k?

llene, Bekele doesn't have the slightest clue about the kind of hurtlocker hurt you would put down on him.

Yup, I think this is exactly how you would beat Mo on the track.

Feeling the growl again

And.. This would require teamwork? I imagine its hard to set the pace yourself for sub 1255-ish.

The Kenyans were expected to do it but did not.  They (and the Ethiopians) have a history of utilizing teamwork to take championship races, why they have not tried it with Farah is anyone's guess.

I remember that plan. Its like they didn't even try. I guess they all think they can beat MF.

kcam

I remember that plan. Its like they didn't even try. I guess they all think they can beat MF.

As I understand that tactic, someone on the Kenyan or Ethiopian 'team' has to be willing to sacrifice their own chances to win or place on the podium for a teammate to have a better chance.  Maybe no one wants to be the sacrificial 'rabbit'?

Feeling the growl again

As I understand that tactic, someone on the Kenyan or Ethiopian 'team' has to be willing to sacrifice their own chances to win or place on the podium for a teammate to have a better chance.  Maybe no one wants to be the sacrificial 'rabbit'?

Yes.  I'm completely guessing here but I wonder if there is less willingness to be the nationalistic sacrificial lamb.  Perhaps they are all so close now and want it more individually (have the individual financial equations changed?).

The other possibility I see is that, particularly Kenya's athletic federation has taken to treating their athletes like complete crap.  Perhaps that has killed the willingness to take one for the team.

C-R

Its been a while since I posted. Busy with work and trying to get my running back in place.

This was awesome. No give in either guy. What was really interesting to me was the gap between the top three and the rest of the field. These guys are at a whole different level.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Is the unwillingness to give yourself up for the team a byproduct of the racing scene in those countries? From what I've heard they all race for the top spot for the payday. Being consistent over a race series has limited benefits, no glory and still difficult to make ends meet.