3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

kcam

Pretty close to goal, Cecil.  Little competition might have pulled (or pushed) you to that 5:27.  Good one.

Walk-Jogger

Pretty close to goal, Cecil.  Little competition might have pulled (or pushed) you to that 5:27.  Good one.

Yeah, I'm thinking that also. f I had chosen to run with the elites at noon instead of my age group at 8:00 am,  I would have been in a battle for last place at about 5:28, instead of way off the front with no one to run with, and also nobody there to watch the first race of the morning. There was a decent crowd there to watch the noon elite race.

MTA: A few pics have been posted. Let's see if this works:

Start line - I'm in the white hat, black singlet:

Off the front right away; probably went out a bit too fast:

2 laps down, 2:41:

3 down, 4:09, and about to lap another runner:

4 down, finished in 5:30:

Retired &  Loving It

Date: 6/8/13

Event: Run for the Stars 5k

Where: Wheaton, IL

Distance: 5k

Goal: < 16:35

Need to start pushing it harder if I'm going to get <16 for the year.  This should be a good test to see where I'm at.

Blah!  16:43 (1AG, 6 OA).

Felt good at the start but that feeling went away about 1.5 mi in.  (5:13, 5:22, 6:06 (1.1)).  I'm going the wrong way with these 5k's.  Need to trust the training and keep moving onward.  I'll get there.

Blah!  16:43 (1AG, 6 OA).

Felt good at the start but that feeling went away about 1.5 mi in.  (5:13, 5:22, 6:06 (1.1)).  I'm going the wrong way with these 5k's.  Need to trust the training and keep moving onward.  I'll get there.

Still a decent run though mbehr, but I know how you feel.  I'm going to shift back to more stamina work (long & medium tempos) for a few weeks as I think I've eroded away some of my stamina doing more aggressive stuff recently.  I'm fading in races.

Nice run Cecil!

Cecil - competition might not have been there, but surely the roar of that "crowd" should have propelled you, no?

Seriously though, nice run. Last summer I ran two track miles, one like yours - very spread, and one with intense competition - the second was lightyears better (and more fun).

I don't get all the watches though for a mile on a track. Habit thing?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Walk-Jogger

Cecil - competition might not have been there, but surely the roar of that "crowd" should have propelled you, no?

Seriously though, nice run. Last summer I ran two track miles, one like yours - very spread, and one with intense competition - the second was lightyears better (and more fun).

I don't get all the watches though for a mile on a track. Habit thing?

LOL - yes, the watches - there was some serious confusion there. Ours was the first race of the morning, and there was no race clock on the track at the start of our race, and no apparent group of hand timers. I had taken my watch off and planned to run without it, but then put it back on when I saw there was no race clock.  Somehow or other, the race clock appeared at the start/finish line AFTER our race started, and apparently was even running with the official race timing. Somebody raced out there with the clock during my first orbit of the track . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Maybe the race clock was there all along ... and merely obscured by the crowd.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

Maybe the race clock was there all along ... and merely obscured by the huge jostling crowd.

Smile

Runners run

bhearn

Oops, another last-minute decision, Big Basin Redwoods 50k, 6/9, goal ??? -- thinking 5:20ish. Hard to tell from previous results what's appropriate.

Ran 4:53. I was happy with the time, but expected to place better (22 OA, 6 AG). Last year three people were under 5:00 -- maybe it was hot??

My quads are going to be recovering from this for a while. 3,200 ft. gain, 5,800 ft. drop.

I don't do hill training often, but when I do I run downhill. Wink

#artbydmcbride

I don't do hill training often, but when I do I prefer downhill. Wink

Big grin

Runners run

Roth Runner 6/12 Rosenheim League track London 3000 sub 5/29

9:56 yesterday.  But to be honest I did a 5 mile tempo before so I didn't expect to run my best.  I passed on the 1500m this week.

an amazing likeness

Let's throw this into the mix....

MilkTruck 6/23 Close to the Coast 10K
                            Freeport, ME
                            10KM 47:10    

Trying for PB on this tough little course -- constant sharp hills, mix of road, single-track and wood-chip paths.

Last 1/2 mi goes through a campground and there's usually people getting up, firing up the grill to cook their bacon and generally shrugging off the night in their tents or campers when a pack of runners come tearing through.  It's pretty funny.  Last time there's a guy working his bacon in an iron skillet with a Bud in hand as I'm coming along....he just stuck out his beer can towards me and nodded...the universal "wanna beer?" nod.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I DNS'd RUTS (car problems). To break the pre-registration jinx, I ran the RD Cola and Moon Pie 10 Miler, race day registration. Done. The time was not a PR but I finally got a race in this year, and I didn't hurt myself. Success. It's a good benchmark and tells me I need to work on losing weight and focus on tempos for the next 6-8 weeks.

6/15 High Cliff Half Iron Triathlon - Relay Run Portion (13.1) - Goal: <1:18

The wife is doing the full half iron and since they have a relay option a couple of other friends wanted to join in on the fun.  It just so happens that the only part of that event I'd do is the run, so they got to figure out how to split up the swim and bike.  It's a 2 loop trail run with a few hills (so I hear).  Should be a good stroll through the park.

1:18:09.  Our relay team got 7th out of 56.  Was happy to have the fastest run split of the day.  Got that one by about 4.5 minutes.

Oh so close!  Never looked at the cumulative time the entire way, so I'm sure I could have found a few more seconds here and there.  After taking us up a big hill in the first mile, the rest of the run (double loop) was through the park on a mix of trail surfaces.  It was all a solo effort passing people here and there.  Traffic got a lot worse on the second loop.  Ran into the DW on the second loop so I stayed with her for a few moments to see and hear how it was going for her.  She had a great experience with her first 70.3 tri.  She finished in 6:11 and executed what she wanted to a T.  Very proud of her.

The post race festivities back at camp got cut short due to an absolute downpour.  Water was up to the ankles right outside of our camper.  The winds and rain took care of our two awnings.  Fortunately it was sunny out in the morning which helped dry out everything we had.  Good times though!