3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I think I'm officially OLD (Read 397 times)

I diagnosed myself a few weeks ago with tibial stress syndrom so I've not run for what seems like forever.

I tweaked a muscle in back last thursday. felt fine friday and saturday. I fell asleep on the futon saturday night and woke up with a f'ed up back. I layed around all day yesterday because I could barely move. Today I took some aleve and went into work but am having a difficult time just sitting at the computer today. Even breathing hurts .

I think this is what happens when you get old.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Just a dude.

Shhh... yer barely older than I am.  It's surely something else...

;-)

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh!  Please!  Forty three old?  I think not.

steph  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Gah. I'm older than both of you, so I sure hope it's something else. Joking

I started this running nonsense to try and avoid all this getting old stuff. Hope you feel better soon BT.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

Clearly you must be young as you lack proper judgement ~ Self diagnosed?  You should ignore any pain and wait until it breaks into 2 pieces.  If you had done that you would not have been lying around on your ass on the futon ... Just kidding, I hope things turn for you.  I am 43 and feel really young.   

I diagnosed myself a few weeks ago with tibial stress syndrom so I've not run for what seems like forever.

I tweaked a muscle in back last thursday. felt fine friday and saturday. I fell asleep on the futon saturday night and woke up with a f'ed up back. I layed around all day yesterday because I could barely move. Today I took some aleve and went into work but am having a difficult time just sitting at the computer today. Even breathing hurts .

I think this is what happens when you get old.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Prince of Fatness

Cripes, all of you are young puppies.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Hope you get better but welcome to the experience after 40.

Now pull up your drawers and turn down that music!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

Ya know BT...I wouldn't say old. I'd say wimp. HTFU  (I'd stick a smiley here but I'm partly serious)

43 is not old...I hope to God that when I'm 55 I don't think I'm old. Hell, make that 65.

I will say though that when my volume falls below 50 mpw I feel like crap. Things start to hurt, I don't sleep as well, muscles stiffen up...maybe that's what you are experiencing. Sedentary pains.

When you got a goal and a 70 mile week planned out you don't have time to hurt or get sick. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, realize that 43 ain't old and go out and give your body a real reason to hurt...not because you took a nap and slept wrong!

C-R

Ya know BT...I wouldn't say old. I'd say wimp. HTFU  (I'd stick a smiley here but I'm partly serious)

43 is not old...I hope to God that when I'm 55 I don't think I'm old. Hell, make that 65.

I will say though that when my volume falls below 50 mpw I feel like crap. Things start to hurt, I don't sleep as well, muscles stiffen up...maybe that's what you are experiencing. Sedentary pains.

When you got a goal and a 70 mile week planned out you don't have time to hurt or get sick. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, realize that 43 ain't old and go out and give your body a real reason to hurt...not because you took a nap and slept wrong!

Now that's a Hurtlocker post!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

+1

Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Yeah, Baby! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Hell yes, this is my kind of post.  

(Although, I have had a twingy lower back for a couple days from sleeping on it wrong.  So I'm guilty too.)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slo....cocks back right hand.......arm accelerates forward.......SMACK

BT.....raises hand to chin and shacks it back and forth....

Thanks for that Slo, I needed it. You may be onto something. I was up to 50 mpw and feeling really good until the pain in my shin started to radiate outwards and hurt all day long. I was doing the "run through it" thing and usually do, but this time I decided to play it safe as I can handle skipping a spring race or two (at least I thought I could) because I really want to focus on getting some triathlons in this year. I'm also one that tends to stiffen up if I take a complete rest day so I usually opt for a very easy recovery day instead.

I rode my tri bike an hour on the trainer (back was okay because I was in the aerobars most of the time) last night while licking my wounds and swam 3000 yards today.

I just may try racing on Saturday just to prove to myself that I'm not a wimp. That is going to hurt like hell after very little running the past few weeks, but I'll try a run outside on the road Friday to test the tibia.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Thaks to the rest of the Hurt Locker for the pep talk and smack down. I needed it.

Was this similar to a marathon taper tweak?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

Thaks to the rest of the Hurt Locker for the pep talk and smack down. I needed it.

Was this similar to a marathon taper tweak?

I don't think we'd be as nice to someone who was just whining because they're afraid they can't get their shit together on race day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills