3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Go DB! (Read 285 times)

Feeling the growl again

Anyone running a 24hr race deserves their own thread.  Go get'em, Mike.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

WG is also running the same race

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Go WG & DB! I can't even imagine what it takes to run for 24 hours.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

Neither can I - I take a lot of walk breaks 

Go DB & WG! I can't even imagine what it takes to run for 24 hours.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Neither can I - I take a lot of walk breaks 

Are you moving the whole 24 hours or do you take breaks? Do you get any sleep?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

I hope I am moving the whole 24 - Unless I am using the bathroom or need to have work done on my feet. 

Are you moving the whole 24 hours or do you take breaks? Do you get any sleep?

DoppleBock

From an old SI article WG sent me 

I had looked into a mirror a few times the last day or so to see how rested I was and to see who it was who stared back. Was I a loon or a dark horse? I couldn't be sure. I would run steadily; let the speed boys run themselves out. The natural focus point for most people would be 100 miles, and then their psychological resistance would weaken. Very well. I would nurse myself along to 100 as easily as I could and then put the pressure on by remaining steady. I would stay aloof from dueling for position. Spill your limited energy too recklessly early on and the closing hours would be brutal. Go easy. Go relaxed. Save energy. Ignore the world. Forget the innate tendency to close up on the pair of heels in front. The 24-hour is a special monster. It required, I felt, obedience to special laws, or it would flatten one as indifferently as a hippo flopping down on a patch of grass. Those were the rules I had smoked out on long runs along the Hudson River. After seven or eight hours of pounding I would say to myself, "This is what the last eight will be like in London. Legs dying but keep the swing going. Keep going, you bastard, just easy now." And then when I had done what I had asked, I would ask a little more.

It speaks to my mentality in 24 hour races

Go DB and WG!

The King of Beasts

GO WG and DB !!

just another day at the office, yall know what to do

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

GO DB! GO WG! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Seanv2

GODBGOWG!

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Go WG!  Go DB!

(ladies first of course)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Go WG!  Go DB!  Good luck to you both!

steph  

Go WG & DB!

Something that always amazes me reading about these races here on RA is how much other stuff I do while they are going on. By that I mean I'll check in on a thread like this, go to bed and sleep all night, get up, check in again, go to work and work all day, come home and check in, eat dinner, do 10 other things, maybe run a few piddly miles, and it's STILL going on. They're STILL racing, all that time. Mind-boggling stuff.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Go WG!  Go DB!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau