Purdey

Self anointed title

Looks like they are both hurting.

DoppleBock

Sorry - I posted a short version in my blog

323 laps in 12 hours - Felt amazing

13 hours it went south

100 miles in 15:35 -

I could not manage the 143 miles I needed in the last 8:25 ~ Still processing my physical and mental weakness

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

That's a pretty good go at it for having the issues you did.  Do you think it would have been easier on a longer loop or was it just dealing with the pain/discomfort?

I really have no frame of reference to process your experience.  The closest I could imagine was a hike out of a wilderness area where we were weighed down heavy, beat up, and trying to slog out through serious sticky/slick mud into a 50mph crosswind.  Probably the physically/mentally hardest 4-5 hours of my life, had to keep my buddy moving so we didn't stop and die of exposure.  But it was only 4-5 hours.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title

Still processing my physical and mental weakness

That is 80 miles in the first 12 hrs.  I once ran 76 mi in 12 hrs and it nearly killed me.

The fact that you then managed to put another 44 miles on the clock whilst dealing with some serious issues does not speak to me of somebody who is weak, either physically or mentally.

24hr racing is a tough mistress.  You can be the best prepared you have ever been and factors outside of your control can lead to a poor performance.  Issues which you wouldn't even notice in a 10k / marathon come to play a major part.

That is 80 miles in the first 12 hrs.  I once ran 76 mi in 12 hrs and it nearly killed me.

The fact that you then managed to put another 44 miles on the clock whilst dealing with some serious issues does not speak to me of somebody who is weak, either physically or mentally.

24hr racing is a tough mistress.  You can be the best prepared you have ever been and factors outside of your control can lead to a poor performance.  Issues which you wouldn't even notice in a 10k / marathon come to play a major part.

It speaks to me of someone who is maybe being a little too hard on himself.  Come on, man, you covered 124 miles in 24 hours.  HULLO! 

Perspective.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

It speaks to me of someone who is maybe being a little too hard on himself.  Come on, man, you covered 124 miles in 24 hours.  HULLO! 

Perspective.  

+1

steph  

DoppleBock

I disagree - I am being fair and objective.  I need to shore up a few physical weaknesses - Lose some weight and re-find a mental place that is dark and scary to go to.

It would have been like you running a 20:39 5k when you goal was a PR, but for many reasons you were not going to run a PR, but still could have run a 19:15 5k, but bailed on it.

It's much more complex than that as the different issues that you face in a 24 hour race are at least a dozen of which most cause a lot of physical pain - but can be ignored and not be a limiter if you are mentally strong enough.  A few are limiters - but if you fight you can still maximize what you have left.

I am not wallowing in a pity party - I am just passing time until my body heals and I can work on what I have to work on to do better next time.

Perspective.  

DoppleBock

I have one more shot to make the 2013 US Team - That is my perspective - I want to make it a good one.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think that DB sounds pissed off with himself. This is a good thing. It drives him. Be afraid.