3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May 2015 Race Thread (Read 25 times)

Just a dude.

Did I see somewhere that you might be a DNS for this???

Yeah, and then someone else dropped out, so I am back in, with different legs. Now I am running 5.0, 5.8, and 4.8. It is supposed to be really hot. 86 tomorrow and over 90 Saturday. Should be really interesting. I'll probably run something like 5 pm, 2 am, and 12 pm...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Just a dude.

NameDateDistanceRaceLocationGoalResult
      Kelly Dodge 5/29-5/30 4.9, 5.5, 3.9 Reno Tahoe Odyssey Northern NV/CA Survive  

This is a 178 mile relay with 12 people each running 3 legs. It starts in Reno, goes around Lake Tahoe, through Carson City and Virginia City, and back to Reno.

I've been pretty messed up all year so I am way fat and out of shape. I pretty much just want to finish without re-hurting anything. I'm on a team that is about having fun and finishing, not running fast, so that will help some...

-Kelly

Ended up running.

First leg: 5 miles over 6000 feet elevation with about 200 or so feet of climb. 5:30 pm. Ran it well. Lungs were tired but the legs were good. 7:42 pace.

Second Leg: 5.8 miles at about 4500 elevation. 200 foot drop and then climbed it back up. About 1:45 am. Legs were tired but lungs were better. 7:39 pace.

Third Leg: 4.9 Miles at about 4300 elevation. 250ish foot drop overall. about 10 am and it was already warming up a lot. (roughly 80 degrees when I finished.) Hamstring complained a bit on the steeper downhills but I was able to work through it ok. Everything was tired. 7:42 pace.

Much faster than expected and survived ok.

-Kelly

Ended up running.

First leg: 5 miles over 6000 feet elevation with about 200 or so feet of climb. 5:30 pm. Ran it well. Lungs were tired but the legs were good. 7:42 pace.

Second Leg: 5.8 miles at about 4500 elevation. 200 foot drop and then climbed it back up. About 1:45 am. Legs were tired but lungs were better. 7:39 pace.

Third Leg: 4.9 Miles at about 4300 elevation. 250ish foot drop overall. about 10 am and it was already warming up a lot. (roughly 80 degrees when I finished.) Hamstring complained a bit on the steeper downhills but I was able to work through it ok. Everything was tired. 7:42 pace.

Much faster than expected and survived ok.

-Kelly

Can't imagine running at that elevation.  We're at a whole 650' elevation here.  Glad you not only survived it but put down a decent pace for each of the legs.

Great work Kelly!

kcam

Excellent work, Kelly!  That kind of a running weekend (and surviving without any damage) really has to build some confidence in your readiness and ability to get back to training.

Just a dude.

Can't imagine running at that elevation.  We're at a whole 650' elevation here.  Glad you not only survived it but put down a decent pace for each of the legs.

I live at 4300ish, so for much of that it was just like normal for me. I think being over 6000' was why my lungs were the limiting factor instead of my legs...

Thanks all.

-Kelly