3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

How Many Weeks (Read 765 times)

Prince of Fatness

I guess it just feels weird not to run a marathon, as it seems to be the peak of my running each year.

Why?  Dude, you're young.  You have plenty of time to run marathons.  You won't turn into a pumpkin if you don't run one this year.

If I ever dig myself out of this mess that I am in I am going to race one more marathon and that's it.  And that is only because I have some unfinished business to take care of.  After that, it's races from the 5k up to the half.  I'll be able to race more often and chase a few PRs that way, hopefully.  More fun.  And the mileage won't be all that much different.

I've only run a couple of marathons and training for both made running feel like a ball and chain.  I just didn't feel like I could miss any runs.  Yeah, stupid, I know.  With the shorter races if something personal comes up now and then it's less stressful.

Not at it at all. 

Would you go for a BQ at the marathon if you ran it?

I say run the distance of the goal that is more important to you. 1:29, or BQ.

If I ran it, I would probably shoot for 3:20. A BQ is 3:15 for me. Nice way of looking at it. 

You won't turn into a pumpkin if you don't run one this year.

With the shorter races if something personal comes up now and then it's less stressful.

Ha!

Yes, that's a good point. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hearing your goal makes me wonder what the F is wrong with me.

I can run a 3:09 marathon but I can't break 1:30 in the half? I mean...I probably can. Maybe. I just haven't.

Anyway...I think you could run 3:15.

The problem is not you, it's that McMillan calculator.  If I worked my ass off, I could run a 1:29.  Apparently I can also run a 3:07?  Yeah right!

DoppleBock

Only if you think you can - If you think you can't then you have already lost.

I am always of the mindset if I can run a 1/2 marathon at a certain speed I should be able to train my wide ass to run a marathon at 2x my 1/2 marathon time.

http://devoncrosbyhelms.com/2011/08/pretender.html

I appreciated this post

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Seanv2

I don't know if this is a very advanced-stage tweak, but I've been thinking a lot about dropping down to the half at Philly. That would mean no marathon for 2011.  

My Spring goal, 1:29 for the half, is still gnawing at me.

Ultimately, I would like to run the Boston Marathon. 

Even with a little under 12 weeks (not really a ton of time), I feel like I just don't have the miles in my legs this year. 

In the months leading up to BayState, this was my mileage:

Jan: 57.7 Mi
              Feb: 181.9 Mi
              Mar: 208.0 Mi
              Apr: 220.9 Mi
              May: 221.8 Mi
              Jun: 242.2 Mi
              Jul: 271.1 Mi
              Aug: 281.3 Mi
              Sep: 289.9 Mi
              Oct: 181.1 Mi

As you can see, it it quite lower this year:

Dec: 240.5 m

Jan: 260.5 mi

Feb.: 64.5 mi

Mar: 105.4 mi

April: 198.2 mi

May: 202.9 mi

June: 194.2 mi

July: 207.0 mi

August: 177.9 mi

I guess it just feels weird not to run a marathon, as it seems to be the peak of my running each year.  That's of course, no reason to run a marathon.  It's just something in my mind.

Yes, miles are cumulative and last year's miles are still "in my legs," but I dunno.  Maybe I'm just tweaking 12 weeks out. 

Your mileage this year is higher than mine and I'm doing the full. But I am also slow and stupid.

Whether you do the half or the full, we need to get a beer after.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

DoppleBock

Pretty much I have not had a marathon as a goal race since 2006 - Oh sure I have run a lot of suck-ass marathons since then.

For me I can not start serious marathon training without having a certain fitness level and fat level.  I am hoping to be able to start training for Houston Marathon October 24th.  This gives me 10 weeks of training and 2 weeks of taper.

If I were starting from scratch with fitness and fat - Say like August 29th That gives me 18 weeks to train and 2 weeks to taper.  But reality is I have 8 weeks of base building and de-fatting ahead of me.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Pretty much I have not had a marathon as a goal race since 2006 - Oh sure I have run a lot of suck-ass marathons since then.

For me I can not start serious marathon training without having a certain fitness level and fat level.  I am hoping to be able to start training for Houston Marathon October 24th.  This gives me 10 weeks of training and 2 weeks of taper.

If I were starting from scratch with fitness and fat - Say like August 29th That gives me 18 weeks to train and 2 weeks to taper.  But reality is I have 8 weeks of base building and de-fatting ahead of me.

I was just reading over all your help insights everyone.

DB, that's 20 weeks (including 8 base-building) to my 12.   

Whether you do the half or the full, we need to get a beer after.

True, that.