3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Strategies to tame this 10K beast? (Read 47 times)

an amazing likeness

I've taken 2 previous whacks at it...and this 10K's course has kicked my butt both times.  Fist time I went in running for even effort, under 10K redline...giving back lots of pace on the climbs and trying to stay on the effort. Second time, approached it with harder effort on the climbs -- pushing into aerobic redline on the 2-2.5 and the double hill 4.5 to 5.5.  That was faster, but by the hill @ 5.5 had to actually walk that hill as the quads were shot.

The two downhills at 2.5 and then 3.8 are so steep that I actually worry about stumbling and going down -- if that happens there's no recovery...it will be a face plant. I end up using up a lot of quad and loosing any aerobic recovery from the climb.

This year I'm thinking that turnover rate is the thing.  Keeping the turnover up and fairly constant to get the pace to recover sooner after the hardest climbs.  That, or use the 1 - 2mi section to bank every bit of time before the entry to hill hell between 2 - 3.

Basically I'd be pretty pleased with bringing this in within 3 minutes of my 10K PR (or 30 sec/mile off PR)  Anyone have any advice to offer?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

A 10K with 12 hills? It looks like the last mile of Beach to Beacon for the entire race so your guess is as good as mine. I guess one strategy would be to forget that it's a 10K and just focus on beating your previous times.

Having said that, here's my bad advice. Since you've tried even pacing and going hard on the hills why not try the opposite this time? I've got this strategy for rolling courses where I try to play mental judo with the hills. I dial back the effort going up just a tad and make believe I'm resting and catching my breath. Despite this I don't give up much ground to others. I then crest the hills strong and make hay on the flats and not so steep downhills. When I hit the next hill it's "rest time" again. At the end, knowing it's the last hill (or two) is it just empty the tank and go for broke.

When I do this rarely am I unsatisfied with my race. Watch one of my 5K stroller videos and you'll see me doing a very exaggerated version of this.

I'd run it as a 5.5 mile race, walk for a min if I have to on that last hill, and then run hard.  I know walking within half mile of the finish is tough on our psyche, but I am shameless that way

Feeling the growl again

I'd use the worst 2-4 uphills as rest time, and use that energy somewhere else like what looks like that long, steady climb.  You'll still have to work the smaller hills, it's only a 10K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hills are your friend!  Just keep telling yourself that.

Similar to was X said, forget about trying to run even pacing and keep it to effort.  You don't want to "charge" every hill as that will just end in a disaster.  This course reminds me of the BIX 7 in the Quad Cities (IA).  That's a tough, hilly course too, but the one you show looks to be tougher.  IMHO, to run well on hills, you have to train on hills.  Hopefully you've had some hilly routes that you've been building into your running.

My real advice would be to read the following article on tips4running.com:

http://www.tips4running.com/Hill-Running.html

#artbydmcbride

Pick a different race!!!!!!!!

Runners run

Pick a different race!!!!!!!!

Now where's the fun in that?  If he follows you MOO, you'd run that and then pick another and another and another....

#artbydmcbride

oh...yeah  Big grin

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Lots of good advice, appreciated all the perspectives. ILF, as usual, is the voice of reason, but I'm going to try and dial this in for an even effort try at something around tempo effort and really try not to cook the legs in the 2.5 - 4mi section...looking at my 2 past whacks at it, if I can stop the fade from 4 - 5.5mi, I'll get back more time than giving up 10 sec/mi in 2 -3 will cost.  Of course, planning and doing are totally different for me -- I suck (as in S.U.C.K.) at execution. I can not hold on when the legs start complaining loudly.

In closing, I know this isn't all hurtlocker-ish, but I'll share a few photos from this race, because it is so old school....

First, there's a tradition at this race (unspoken tradition...you just learn it from watching...) that the finishers line the road and cheer in those who follow. Here you can see all the finishers on the left, a good chunk of the island population and the old Grange hall on the right, and a runner heading to the chute where the balloons mark the finish:

Took some shots from my truck driving the course, this shots shows the quiet dirt roads through the trees (that's the 4mi marker in the road):

What the shot above doesn't show, is what you see when off to the side. This is a road along the shore of an island, so ocean is there for most of the course:

When there's no ocean or tree-covered roads, the views are of what we call saltwater farms -- this harkens back to the days when they would take advantage of frozen turf, and use oxen to cut grass from the salt marshes in the winter to have feed for cows that had salt from the ocean water in it:

But really what you see most of running this course is the road climbing blind hills into pine forest:

Feeling the growl again

Nice pics.  Time aside, that looks like a course I would enjoy running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I was thinking the same thing. $150 in gas for the trip is a big nut, but it  may be that this one makes next year's calendar.

an amazing likeness

Fail. Posted a time 12 sec slower than last year, just about 4 min over my 10K PR. But ran 11OA.

Per plan, gave up some effort in the 1 - 2 section to try and run stronger in the 2 - 3 hills. Settled in behind the 1OA Female somewhere near 3 and figured out I was out climbing her, but she was out running me down the back of the hill. Let her go on the long, sharp downhill heading to 4, then slowly ran her in on the flatter section heading into 5. We exchanged a few words and I figured out she didn't the course, so used the heavy double climb from 5 to 5.5 to push right to redline and try to gap her. Worked for a while, then on the last sharp downhill I could hear her coming. We crossed 5.5 even, and both walked a chunk of the last hill. Then she pulled away on the last section to beat my by 5 secs. I know I pushed her to the limit, she went to her knees in the finish chute. Not an M/F thing...it's just satisfying as a 52 year-old to make a 27 year-old person work that hard.

Next year...next year...

Fail. Posted a time 12 sec slower than last year, just about 4 min over my 10K PR. But ran 11OA.

Per plan, gave up some effort in the 1 - 2 section to try and run stronger in the 2 - 3 hills. Settled in behind the 1OA Female somewhere near 3 and figured out I was out climbing her, but she was out running me down the back of the hill. Let her go on the long, sharp downhill heading to 4, then slowly ran her in on the flatter section heading into 5. We exchanged a few words and I figured out she didn't the course, so used the heavy double climb from 5 to 5.5 to push right to redline and try to gap her. Worked for a while, then on the last sharp downhill I could hear her coming. We crossed 5.5 even, and both walked a chunk of the last hill. Then she pulled away on the last section to beat my by 5 secs. I know I pushed her to the limit, she went to her knees in the finish chute. Not an M/F thing...it's just satisfying as a 52 year-old to make a 27 year-old person work that hard.

Next year...next year...

Sounds like you both had a little competition going on and were pushing each other along.  Nice run.  Like the pictures of the course you posted too.  I wouldn't necessarily call it a fail.  Sure, you were ~13 seconds slower than last year's time.  BUT, look at what your week was.  You had a 5k and a 9+ mile run in the days leading up to the race.  To be able to hammer through like you did is impressive considering the workload your legs were carrying.

kcam

Looks like a really fun race - not PR'able but definitely a race to hunker down and compete against with other runners, which you did.  Also, I agree with mbehr, 13 seconds within your PR for that course is not a fail.  I call those races 'in-the-neighborhood' (of PR) races and on those days a slightly different combination of recovery / weather / phase of the moon could get you that course PR.  Good one, if you ask me.

#artbydmcbride

Great job, MilkTruck!!

Runners run