3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

DoppleBock

planned mid-week long run last night (I define as > 15 miles).  I trucked the younger one to Volleyball and then up to pick up the older one from Track and got her home.  6:30pm finally time to run ... by 4 miles by body did not want to do it ... silly body you have no choice.  17.2 miles of running slow that took a lot of focus.  Good mental training for the 24 hour race.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

nice DB.. cant imagine running for 24 hours.

Ive had a couple of workouts recently.. Monday did a four mile tempo.. followed it on Wed with 1 mile at moderate.. 2 miles MP.. 2 miles 10 mile effort.. It felt really easy. Im not sure why that second workout has gone so well recently. Even sometimes for my Wed workout.. I have come away feeling better after the workout than I did before.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

DoppleBock

Stupid is what stupid does.

I had a really nice 25 minute Tempo at lunch ... so I decided to do a nice 20 miler after work.  Both went well, but I am expecting unhappy legs in my recovery run today.

I do miss the days when I would do 20 mile warmup and then my speed work.

DoppleBock

Sadly the good based on how slow I am now ... I am excited to run 20 miles straight and do it at a fast speed for me right now.  20.2 @ 9:11 Pace.  Best long run in 2 years.

Village people

I have been sick most of the winter so yesterday was a great day. Spent the morning doing squats, lunges and stuff like that. Then I headed to the pool where I managed a full workout. That was 2600m give or take 25m.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

22 miles yesterday in Frozen Head State Park, just a few weeks after the Barkley marathons. I am good and sore, but what a great run! Sun and humidity, thunderstorms and torrential downpours, 6000 feet of overall climbing. Nice day.

Feeling the growl again

22 miles yesterday in Frozen Head State Park, just a few weeks after the Barkley marathons. I am good and sore, but what a great run! Sun and humidity, thunderstorms and torrential downpours, 6000 feet of overall climbing. Nice day.

Nice.  Can't remember my last 22 miler.

I got 16 last weekend, in the midst of dieting, raining, so the last 4 got pretty ugly.  Paid for it all week.  Need more of that.

I finally got serious this week, semi-serious got me down 3lbs over several weeks from my weight high and I'm down another 3lbs this week.  Slacking today and needed some leg recovery but on a good trend.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Good to see you at it again DJ.

Nice woods run Trent. Did you attempt Barkley this last time?

Kind of like spaniel - I haven't been posting in here due to, well, not really pushing things. Today was different. Hit the trails pretty hard today after actually racing yesterday. Back to back effort felt good. Legs are telling me I did something new. I like that feeling. I drop another 10lbs and I might have something to talk about.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There are two Barkleys.

There is the Spring race profiled in the killer great Netflix movie, where 40 people start each year and in most years there are no finishers. This one is incredibly hard to get into under the logic that if you cannot even figure out how to apply and get selected, you have no business problem solving on the course. Knowing the course as I do, this is entirely reasonable just as the race is entirely unreasonable. The course is not marked and there is really no on-course support other than water jugs dropped in two locations. No, I have not even tried to run this Barkley.

Then there is the newish Fall race, called the Barkley Fall Classic. The BFC covers a lot of the same features as the Spring race and is said to be 50k but is probably closer to 35-40 miles. The BFC is well marked and well supported throughout, and about 2/3 of it is on proper trails. Even so, only about 30% of starters finish the full race, and another 30% finish the "fun run", which is a consolation distance akin to dropping down from the full marathon you are running to the half marathon. Anyhow, the past two years I started the BFC and failed, though last year I was sick and had no business starting. Hell, I was super undertrained the past few years and had no business starting.

This year I am working hard to get my miles and trails in with the goal of doing better at BFC. So far so good, but there remains a lot of work (and time) left to go.

Did you attempt Barkley this last time?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also, CR, you need to come out and run in that park with us.

DoppleBock

Trent - 22 on the Barkley trails is a huge effort.

My 31.7 on the Ice Age Trail - Northern Kettle is less than the 22.  I was going for 50 miles pace (IA50 mile coming up in 3 weeks) and nailed it.  Felt awesome the whole way, although quads are sore (Good sore) today.  I did not bomb the downhills like past lives, just stayed in control.  It was a nice 6 hours to be in the woods ... High 50s to low 60s ... sunny, low humidity with a light breeze.

I thought about adding on another 9 miles the other way ... but decided (Correctly) to just be satisfied with what I had.

DoppleBock

For the IA50 ... This workout would point toward @ 9 Hour 45 minute Ice Age time.  Since it is on the much harder Northern Kettle = @ 9 hour Ice Age 50 Mile time.  My biggest goal for Ice Age 50 Mile is to run it at an easy tempo the whole way as my real goal is the FANS 24.

I will do the IA50 at whatever pace feels easy.  I do not want to go by time, but by feel ~ If I am honest with myself at the end of the run and the following days (For how sore I am), I will know if the effort level was correct.

My 31.7 on the Ice Age Trail - Northern Kettle is less than the 22.  I was going for 50 miles pace (IA50 mile coming up in 3 weeks) and nailed it.  Felt awesome the whole way, although quads are sore (Good sore) today.  I did not bomb the downhills like past lives, just stayed in control.  It was a nice 6 hours to be in the woods ... High 50s to low 60s ... sunny, low humidity with a light breeze.

I thought about adding on another 9 miles the other way ... but decided (Correctly) to just be satisfied with what I had.

Both of those are huge efforts!

I've been trying to keep things in focus here and keep building on where I'm at.  My glute/hamstring was not feeling best after the last 8k race a few weeks ago.  It was frustrating not knowing what the heck caused it.  I quickly learned about the piriformis muscle and after some rolling, stretching, and glute medius work, things are finally feeling good again.  I've still been getting some good miles in but did have a couple of good workouts this weekend.  Had a solid 40-mile bike ride on Saturday and then a good 12+ mile run yesterday.  This morning's run was slow as I needed the recovery miles.  Finished the week with almost 50 miles running and 90 on the bike.  Less than 55 days until the big race for me.  I'm competing in the Duathlon National Championships in June hoping for a Team USA spot for World's in Denmark next year.  If I keep I can keep things in check, stay healthy, and finish off the next 45 days with solid training, I'll be in a good spot.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks man. My quads are still a bit of a mess from all the downhill eccentric contractions! Worth every bit tho.

C-R

Also, CR, you need to come out and run in that park with us.

When ya thinking?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/