3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Running Form (Read 511 times)

Feeling the growl again

Any insight on this would be awesome...I find exactly the same.

It's also interesting about your smoothness when trying mbher's motion (dodgy as that sounds).  I guess that's something I'll be trying tomorrow although I guess I won't be able to maintain it for long.

Well, if you read the article on what McMillan did with that one lady you obsess over it for all 210,000 strides you run that season until it causes you to step on a rock and get frustrated.

But seriously, no good answer here.  I said arm carriage seems easier because with a few "hey, not like that, like this" comments to runners, it seems like they catch on pretty easy.  My guess is that this is because the smoothness it adds is very significant and to the natural memory mechanisms catch on quickly and make it second nature (hey, if Noakes can conjure the central governor I can create a mechanism too!).  Stride issues that make small changes in how running feels are harder to make natural.  For me, the only thing that changed my form was running more.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

+1.  I'm running about 5:30 pace in this photo from last weekend.  I guarantee I was not pounding on my heels like that for the race.

On arm carriage, I hear/read all sorts of things.  But flipping through the stills in this montage, these elites seem to be carrying their arms as mbehr described.

C'mon, you KNOW you're T Rex walking at 11mph there...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

But seriously, no good answer here.  I said arm carriage seems easier because with a few "hey, not like that, like this" comments to runners, it seems like they catch on pretty easy.  My guess is that this is because the smoothness it adds is very significant and to the natural memory mechanisms catch on quickly and make it second nature (hey, if Noakes can conjure the central governor I can create a mechanism too!).  Stride issues that make small changes in how running feels are harder to make natural.  For me, the only thing that changed my form was running more.

I struggle with this stuff.  On one hand I think that if it is comfortable, why fight it?  But then there have been times when I have worked on some things and while it felt uncomfortable at first, it eventually became natural.  An example would be my hands.  Years back I used to run with my fists clenched pretty hard.  When I first started running with my hands slightly clenched, but relaxed, it was awkward as hell.  Now it is second nature.

So I don't know.  I guess the answer is if you think that it is right keep working on it.

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

This is incredibly impressive.  I'm (unfortunately) a puker when I run really hard, but my whole body feels like it's going into convulsions. It would be awesome to be able to do that midstride and keep going.

Keeping good form late in a marathon.

Kalsarikännit

I wasn't even joking when I posted this.  Olympic Trials, horking, late in a race, AND putting distance between himself and the next guy.  Awesomeness.  

I always  feel bad that I have never thrown up during a race.  I wonder if I'm not trying hard enough.  Of course, I have been nauseous before.  Ask DB what happened when he tried to had me one of those tiny, itty-bitty plastic caps of pepto.  He won't be making that mistake again.  Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Scott W (shows up here from time to time) took 2nd at CMM last year. Puked the whole last couple miles.

Any insight on this would be awesome...I find exactly the same.

It's also interesting about your smoothness when trying mbher's motion (dodgy as that sounds).  I guess that's something I'll be trying tomorrow although I guess I won't be able to maintain it for long.

One thing to make sure you do is NOT force it.  Stay relaxed.  You use your legs to run, not your arm swing.  It's nearly impossible to say that your going to have the motion right 100% of the time during the run.  Every once in a while, I'll do a mental check to make sure I'm running tall with the shoulders square.  If you need to drop the hands and shake out the arms, do so, but stay relaxed.

Keeping good form late in a marathon.

I was wondering why that course looked familiar.   Almost all longer races in Charlotte use that road.

A good article on what tends to be the root cause of many lower leg issues.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/running-its-all-in-the-hips/

A good article on what tends to be the root cause of many lower leg issues.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/running-its-all-in-the-hips/

I'm not buying it until I hear from Sport Jester.

MTA: mbehr is blinding me with science.

What if I tell you it's been peer reviewed and there is scientific data to back up the theory and maybe there are a few pub med abstracts to show you that you're wrong and no one has been able to come up with any scientific proof that shows the author in the article is wrong.  Would you buy it then?

Whatever, princess.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau