3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Michael, good to see you post. And good luck in Oct.

3x1600 is brutal. Let alone in that sort of humidity. If you are running these at 520.. Sub 17 is walk in the park.

+1.  I ran a 10K last Saturday on the Des Plaines River Trail (I think you're a fellow Illinois guy) and suffered miserably.  I'm gearing up for Chicago in October and just hoping it isn't a repeat of Boston relative to normal temperatures and humidity.  I'm finding my shoes make an annoying squishing sound after ten miles or so due to all the sweat that pours down my body, ultimately collecting in my shoes.  Yep, that's super.  3 X 1600 tonight at 5K pace (~5:20) so naturally, it is another 80% humidity day today outside Chicago.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

+1.  I ran a 10K last Saturday on the Des Plaines River Trail (I think you're a fellow Illinois guy) and suffered miserably.  I'm gearing up for Chicago in October and just hoping it isn't a repeat of Boston relative to normal temperatures and humidity.  I'm finding my shoes make an annoying squishing sound after ten miles or so due to all the sweat that pours down my body, ultimately collecting in my shoes.  Yep, that's super.  3 X 1600 tonight at 5K pace (~5:20) so naturally, it is another 80% humidity day today outside Chicago.

Gearing up for Chicago, huh?  Given how your running has been going this year, you're going to be a force to reckon with at Chicago.  You're already at almost 2k miles for the year.  I'll be there too.  Assuming that you are starting corral placement will be the "A" corral?  If so, I'll probably see you at the start and then watch you slowly drift ahead of me.  52 days remaining and counting!  Nice work on the 3 x 1600 workout last night.  I did a fartlek run ( 2 mi, 1 mi, 800, 400, 200 w/ half as recovery in between) last night and a 5:40 pace felt hard.  I'm hoping that it's a combo of heat/humidity effect and tired legs.

Watching all the incredible Olympic performances was a nice catalyst for the workout.  Ended up running the 3 X 1600 at 5:18 pace with two minutes rest between reps.  That's probably the last of the speed workouts I'll do before Chicago...now it'll turn to 3 X 2 mile @ HMP and longer tempo runs.  I'm so mixed on the cooler temps scheduled for Chicago next week...part of me is grateful but the other part of me is unwilling to accept the end of summer being around the corner.  With football and school starting and fall marathons fast approaching, it's hard to believe 2/3 of the year is in the books!

That's a nice fartlek run and an awesome marathon workout.  52 days sounds both close and far at the same time.  I'm also corral A, shooting for something around 2:50.

Prince of Fatness

A quick check of the calendar tells me that my half is only 3 weeks from Sunday.  I just have no idea how this is going to go as I haven't raced in over 5 years and this heat has kept me from running much in the way of workouts.  Mileage has been consistent if nothing else and I've been getting out for at least an hour and a half once a week since late June.

Since this is sort of a running rebirth I thought that a good goal would be to beat my first ever half marathon time (1:47:57 in 2004, age 41). I am probably close to as fit as I was then, albeit 12 years older.  I just don't have any indicators.  We are supposed to get a break in this heat and humidity next week.  I am going to try a 30 minute tempo and see what is what.

Assuming that I can get a benchmark in the ballpark, I am hoping to catch a nice cool morning so all of the running that I have done in this miserable heat pays off.

Not at it at all. 

A quick check of the calendar tells me that my half is only 3 weeks from Sunday.  I just have no idea how this is going to go as I haven't raced in over 5 years and this heat has kept me from running much in the way of workouts.  Mileage has been consistent if nothing else and I've been getting out for at least an hour and a half once a week since late June.

Since this is sort of a running rebirth I thought that a good goal would be to beat my first ever half marathon time (1:47:57 in 2004, age 41). I am probably close to as fit as I was then, albeit 12 years older.  I just don't have any indicators.  We are supposed to get a break in this heat and humidity next week.  I am going to try a 30 minute tempo and see what is what.

Assuming that I can get a benchmark in the ballpark, I am hoping to catch a nice cool morning so all of the running that I have done in this miserable heat pays off.

The break in temps were sure nice this weekend.  Let us know how the fitness benchmark goes.

Had two good efforts since Friday.  Avg 5:40 for an 8-mi tempo.  Even though it was indoors, it was still a good confidence booster.  Then, yesterday, I had a great 18-mi run.  Temps and dew point was in the upper 50's.  It was great.  This was my longest run since April 2014.  Feeling a little better about 7 weeks from now.  Just need to keep things going well over the next 5 weeks.

Prince of Fatness

The break in temps were sure nice this weekend.  Let us know how the fitness benchmark goes.

30 minute tempo done. Managed just under 3.5 miles. Yikes. It didn't kill me but now I realize how much I am not in race shape. I've been running plenty of miles but nothing at any pace. I looked at my log and that's the first workout of any type that I've done since February 2012. So while finishing the half will be easy, a decent time may be difficult. And I can't really blame the heat. It was 80 but dew point was in the mid 50s. Gonna try to get one more of these in before the race.

It it did feel good to get out there and do something besides just slog along.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

Way to go Finn. That's a long road back.

I didn't really have a good workout (another slow run) but at the end of it I decided it would be fun to add another 1/2 mile. I haven't had that itch in a long time. I take that as a small but good sign.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

The half is in a couple of hours and at 4 AM the temperature is 79 and the dew point is 72. WTF? I may just jog this one and try to pick it up at the end.

Good news is that there will be a bunch of runner chicks from the LLR there, most I've never met IRL. So there's that.

Not at it at all. 

The half is in a couple of hours and at 4 AM the temperature is 79 and the dew point is 72. WTF? I may just jog this one and try to pick it up at the end.

Good news is that there will be a bunch of runner chicks from the LLR there, most I've never met IRL. So there's that.

Those conditions at 4 am?!  WTF is right.

Prince of Fatness

2:03:04.  It is what it is.  They were calling for a front to go through overnight and I was hoping that it would happen before the race.  As it turned out, it happened during the race.  It was really muggy at the start and it lasted for the first third or so of the race.  I was drenched in sweat a half hour in.  Then a nice breeze picked up and my body was able to purge some heat.  It was quite pleasant at the finish area after the race.

I went without a watch because I really wanted to settle on an effort level that I could maintain.  This worked out really well as I passed a bunch of people the last third of the race and was actually able to pick the pace up.  For not having raced in probably 6 years I was pleased that I raced this one pretty smart and all things considered got what I could out of it.

I met a handful of ladies from the LLR there, including Pam.  That was nice.  All in all it was a good morning.  I can't complain.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Finn, after all of your trials over the years, I think that's a stellar result.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Finn, after all of your trials over the years, I think that's a stellar result.

Thanks.  Probably the hardest thing for me is letting go of the old standard.  It made me think, why bother racing.  I think that this helped with that. Now that there is a target out there I may start racing a few times a year.  It helps keep me motivated.  I would definitely not have ran as much as I did in the heat these last couple of months if I didn't have this race.

Not at it at all. 

That is a great result. Impressive really. Unless we are winning Olympic medals.. we are all just racing to be our best on that day.

Thanks.  Probably the hardest thing for me is letting go of the old standard.  It made me think, why bother racing.  I think that this helped with that. Now that there is a target out there I may start racing a few times a year.  It helps keep me motivated.  I would definitely not have ran as much as I did in the heat these last couple of months if I didn't have this race.

Speaking of racing... I am going 6k this Saturday in the Rebels XC Challenge. Ran 20:52 (22 out of 37) last year on a really wet course where I slipped all over the place.

And we run because we like it
                            Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Brother.  This, I can totally identify with.  Just a couple years ago PaulyGram paced me to only my second marathon victory in a very moderate time, only able to keep up for a couple portions of it, and today I look at his long run and think damn, I couldn't RACE that.

I blame a lot of things, but it's all in my head.  The reset button is a big factor.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Couldn't agree more!  Great seeing that you're getting back out there. Hopefully you can keep building from here.

Spaniel, things settling down at all?  This is the best time of year to be getting out there and running.  Hit that reset button and get out the door!