3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

walking/rowing/lifting (Read 39 times)

I think the accepted method is to run for 2 minutes, then walk for a minute, run 2 minutes, walk a minute,  rinse and repeat.  And wear a heart rate monitor and make sure it doesn't go over 140 beats.   Do that for a week,  then extend your running times to 4 minutes....  Big grin

I feel hurt and offended.

Wink

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

#artbydmcbride

{{{Hoppity}}}   You did it right!

Runners run

My PT called me a little earlier and she wants me to go in for a  Vestibular evaluation, so I have a feeling that my running won't be getting the go ahead on March 13th. I knew I had balance issue's however I now know that my issue's are above what my therapist is used to and is  trained for.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nice.  That's why you fit in here so well.

You just made the cut to my sig line with that one.  Rarified air.

I feel honored!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Having in similar situations (time off due to injury, life, whatever it is) over the past decade I have had several "restarts".  You already have the right mindset and determination to get back where you want to be.  IMO, that is the most important piece.  For me, I don't necessarily forget where I was and what the times I was hitting before.  That is in part my motivation to get back where I want to be.  The challenge, however, is keeping the reins in check and being smart about it.  It will take time to build balanced strength but you are already well on your way to that with all the cross-training you've been doing.

All that walking you've been doing will certainly help you get back to running.  I'm a believer that physical activity promotes blood flow throughout the body and helps the body recover quicker.  Here's to hoping that you get the green light SOON!

you hit it right on the head. I really am worried that I won't be able to keep my running reined in.

Thanks!

I like spaniel's advice. Focus on moving forward. I have taken time off, I called it maternity leave, and I was always surprised at how quickly I improved. I did not have the fitness you had before your surgery or the crosstraining in between. I did have extra weight and I still didn't feel like I was starting from scratch.

Good luck and I think I need to do more planks Smile

See I never bothered worrying about my health until AFTER I had all my children. I had my first 3 so young that it didn't even occure to me and then I was too busy with them to worry about it

Thanks!

Prince of Fatness

Late to the game here.  When my problems started three years ago I originally took three months off.  I did not do nearly what you did during my time off.  Did some PT, yoga, and a little walking.

Anyway, when I started back I tried to run every day, but short distances.  Maybe 20 minutes is all.  For me, it was about getting back into the habit.  Over time I added minutes to each run.  I cannot remember how long it took me to get up to a decent amount of mileage, but it wasn't an unreasonable amount of time (a month or two?).

I know that what I am saying is vague but I guess what I am saying is what worked for me was to run frequently at first and not worry about hammering away long runs and hard workouts.

MTA: Nice job with the core work during your running layoff.  If nothing else you have laid a good foundation for your running.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

I don't have anything to add on getting back into running, I'm still trying to figure it out myself.  But I just checked out your log and that's a lot of time on an erg, nice work.

Also, how are you measuring your BF?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Late to the game here.  When my problems started three years ago I originally took three months off.  I did not do nearly what you did during my time off.  Did some PT, yoga, and a little walking.

Anyway, when I started back I tried to run every day, but short distances.  Maybe 20 minutes is all.  For me, it was about getting back into the habit.  Over time I added minutes to each run.  I cannot remember how long it took me to get up to a decent amount of mileage, but it wasn't an unreasonable amount of time (a month or two?).

I know that what I am saying is vague but I guess what I am saying is what worked for me was to run frequently at first and not worry about hammering away long runs and hard workouts.

MTA: Nice job with the core work during your running layoff.  If nothing else you have laid a good foundation for your running.

Sounds like solid advice! Thanks Tim!

I don't have anything to add on getting back into running, I'm still trying to figure it out myself.  But I just checked out your log and that's a lot of time on an erg, nice work.

Also, how are you measuring your BF?

Thanks Sean!

I use an Omron.  I don't expect it to be correct, it's just a tool that I know how to use  (trends) that has helped me throughout the past few years when I'm in bulking "season"