3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

November race Thread (Read 25 times)

kcam

Well I'd guess that stride length could play a part in slipping.  If you're a big strider maybe cut it down some to give you more stability.  I know that helps me (but then my stride is pretty short comparatively!).  The first time I ran the GG course it was super muddy and I tried the ole screw shoes thing.  Took a pair of ASICS Gel Banditos and put some sheet metal screws in them.  Didn't work at all.  I slipped all over the place and almost all of the screws were gone by the end of the run.  For reference these are the ones I bought after that fiasco  ASICS Hyper XC shoes (older version) and have been golden ever since.

It has been awhile since someone posted something as exquisitely Hurtlocker-worthy as goals prioritized in this manner.

I aim to please. 

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

I ran 41:53 for Sunday's XC race, more than a minute slower than I ran last year.  I ran OK and had a pretty good finish though I definitely ran too fast early.  Got suckered into a 6:09 first mile against an average pace of 6:42/mile.  You'd think I'd know better than that by now.

This course, on it's face, doesn't seem THAT difficult but it really is tough.  A friend compiled times for some of our competitors and compared their half marathon pace (recent enough that they could be deemed to be in the same 'shape' as Sunday's race) and found that only 3 of the 15 runners I looked at had a faster average pace for the 10K XC race than a road Half Marathon.  When is your 10K race pace SLOWER than your HM race pace?  Only on a tough XC race like this one!  My half marathon race from October was at 6:37 vs 6:42 yesterday, and I guarantee I'm in better shape than in October!

It was a gorgeous day to run in Golden Gate park and if we don't get too much rain the USATF Club National XCs course (same as this one) will be in great shape.  If I get some photos from club members taking photso I'll come back and post those, or a link.  Have to say that, at least here in Ca, the USATF XC races are the most competitive no-nonsense races out there.  And they're relatively cheap at $15 or $20 a race (though Sunday's Championship race was $35).  The race atmosphere is better than any road race I've ever done (yes, better than Boston).  Different vibe, I feel like this must have been what it was like to be road racing in the mid to late 70's in the USA.  No medal-seekers or bucket-listers, just racers.

C-R

Nice running Ken. Sounds like a challenging race.

Another one for me - Footlocker Midwest Championships in Kenosha WI. 5k so I have to say less than last 5k <21:12 but I've been traveling and not training. Its the Hurtlocker so I will either come home with my shield or on it.

The real reason I'm racing this is because kiddo is running with the thoroughbreds and they happen to have an old man race too.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

5:07 for Monkey.  My watch was auto stopping when it lost connections and pacing by that was a big mistake. I thought I was coming in at 5:00 (but was quite surprised to see the finish clock showing something else) Either way would have missed the goal either by 40 sec or 7 minutes.

C-R

Hah. 21:11 and I ran for all it was worth.

Course was hilly, muddy, full of standing water, it was 32 degrees and flurries. In short, perfect XC conditions. Loved it.

Kiddo finished 30th in his Fresh/Soph race in 17:28. Damn proud of him.

Not a bad way to finish off Nov.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

5:49:15, and it was uglier than the time would indicate. Legs tired by ~12mi, and the Galloway Method became increasingly walk-skewed from there. Should've dropped, but dammit, I did not want to DNF my first (only?) Monkey.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

C-R

November wrap up.

Virtual beer* goes to Ken for his XC Championship Race @ Golden Gate Park. That is one tough course. Wish I could come out for Club nationals this year.

*Beers to be paid if and when people actually are in the same town

kcam

Thanks for the beer CR!  I'm an hour away from the Club Nationals ... got a spare bedroom or two.  Just sayin'