3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who needs a hamster wheel (Read 974 times)

C-R

You need a Woodway.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

You need a Woodway.

I forgot to buy my Powerball ticket.  I think I need to finish my book and publish it to fund a treadmill.

It's just kind of comical at this point.  I mean, I haven't even got the refund processed on the last one (the fraud appearing on our credit card last week likely will delay that even more) and I've broken the one I replaced it with.

MTA:  One of these companies should hire me as a torture tester.  Back in college I knew a guy who kept breaking mountain bike frames, and eventually Trek started sending him prototypes to see if he could break them before they went into production.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Dooood.

You are never and I mean never allowed to use my treadmill. Just sayin.

+1

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Dooood.

You are never and I mean never allowed to use my treadmill. Just sayin.

Smile

steph  

Apologies if there's some mention of it in this voluminous thread and I missed it (or didn't bother looking) ...

I have an inside line on a Nordic Track Professional Series 3500, perhaps 5-ish years old.  Should I grab it?  Run away as fast as possible (given the not-yet-fully-healed injury)?  Guide me, ye who are wise in The Ways of The Belt.

Lame review HERE.  Specs and stuff from HERE:

Nordic Track Professional Series 3500 treadmill - is a residential treadmill with the look and feel of a commercial grade model. An over engineered frame gives it a very solid feel and the ability to withstand the most rigorous workouts - this is a very stable treadmill.

The large (20" x 60") running surface is extremely comfortable to run on due to the Nordic Track "DuraSoft" shock absorption, which results in less stress on ankles, knees and hips.

The Professional Series 3500 is driven by a very powerful 3.0 HP commercial "DurX" motor which has been dynamically balanced to ensure that it is both smooth and quite in operation.

Specifications:

Motor: 3.0 CHP

Belt size: 20'' x 60''

Speed: 0 - 12 MPH

Incline: 0 - 15%

Rollers: 3.5"

User weight: 350 lb

Folding: NO

Warranty: Lifetime (Motor), 3 yrs (Parts), 1 year (Labor) 

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

IMHO, a used treadmill is a used treadmill.  There will be no warranty so you have to be comfortable dealing with whatever breaks.  And  it will break, it is simple a function of time and the amount of punishment you put on it.  What are they asking for it?  I'm guessing a few hundred dollars?  A new motor would run you $300-$500...decks, ~$200.  So don't over-pay for a used machine.  Although you can save money buying used  parts on eBay or the pile of used Nordic Track crap in my house.

Treadmills are all put together very similarly; any semi-handy person can replace about anything on them.

FWIW, for anybody who will really use the machine I have nothing good to say about any brand under the Landice price point.  I am on my third $1000-$2000 treadmill and this one broke the third time I ran on it, and has been sitting for 2 weeks waiting for a new console.

Apologies if there's some mention of it in this voluminous thread and I missed it (or didn't bother looking) ...

I have an inside line on a Nordic Track Professional Series 3500, perhaps 5-ish years old.  Should I grab it?  Run away as fast as possible (given the not-yet-fully-healed injury)?  Guide me, ye who are wise in The Ways of The Belt.

Lame review HERE.  Specs and stuff from HERE:

Nordic Track Professional Series 3500 treadmill - is a residential treadmill with the look and feel of a commercial grade model. An over engineered frame gives it a very solid feel and the ability to withstand the most rigorous workouts - this is a very stable treadmill.

The large (20" x 60") running surface is extremely comfortable to run on due to the Nordic Track "DuraSoft" shock absorption, which results in less stress on ankles, knees and hips.

The Professional Series 3500 is driven by a very powerful 3.0 HP commercial "DurX" motor which has been dynamically balanced to ensure that it is both smooth and quite in operation.

Specifications:

Motor: 3.0 CHP

Belt size: 20'' x 60''

Speed: 0 - 12 MPH

Incline: 0 - 15%

Rollers: 3.5"

User weight: 350 lb

Folding: NO

Warranty: Lifetime (Motor), 3 yrs (Parts), 1 year (Labor) 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Initial thought was $300, but his wife negotiated him down to zero.  I like her.

I'm halfway handy, but I'm also really hoping it doesn't break.  And so far as I could tell, they were made by Icon Fitness and ran about $2400 new.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Initial thought was $300, but his wife negotiated him down to zero.  I like her.

I'm halfway handy, but I'm also really hoping it doesn't break.  And so far as I could tell, they were made by Icon Fitness and ran about $2400 new.

Well, the price was good but you did better, not much to lose but the sweat to move it.  Big grin

Icon is Nordic Track's parent company.  One and the same.  Treadmills do not hold their value, even for the used Landice I looked at (which has some obvious issues so I passed) I was not going over $1000.

We all hope they don't break.  Smile  But they are a high-wear machine.  Lube regularly.  As our redneck autopsy demonstrated, the decks are nothing but compressed cardboard with a 1/16" shiny layer on top.

Rhe NT Commercial 1750 is still working fine here.

Spaniel, I'm curious as to what maintenance/lubrications you found that needs to be done. I've looked in the manual I got and it doesn't highlight anything. I know something should be done regularly but I just don't know what.  Of course, I'm sure I could spend the time making phone calls or doing research but I just haven't done that yet.

Feeling the growl again

Rhe NT Commercial 1750 is still working fine here.

Spaniel, I'm curious as to what maintenance/lubrications you found that needs to be done. I've looked in the manual I got and it doesn't highlight anything. I know something should be done regularly but I just don't know what.  Of course, I'm sure I could spend the time making phone calls or doing research but I just haven't done that yet.

Lube it every ~500 miles.  Now the manual will tell you it doesn't need it, because coat racks don't so they put that in there as a selling point.  But those that actually run on them, it does and if you call them they will tell you that.

As the lube gets low you can tell the belt is getting hotter at the end of a run.

Other than trying to keep the sweat cleaned off, that's about it.  The bearings are sealed.

Lube regularly.

Oh, I do.  But getting back to the machine ...

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I just installed console #3 in treadmill #3.  Apparently "sweatproof" is not a literal claim.

I just installed console #3 in treadmill #3.  Apparently "sweatproof" is not a literal claim.

Treadmill killer!

Feeling the growl again

Treadmill killer!

They should really pay ME to torture test prototypes.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I feel like such a wimp. I haven't been able to kill a single treadmill.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.