3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

What is December without a challenge? (Read 25 times)

Feeling the growl again

Sadly the chest-hair-growing challenges have been absent from here for quite awhile.  Though the facebooks recently reminded me of when I almost soiled my marriage by carrying on a December mileage challenge with WhoDat and C-R while my 9-month-pregnant wife tolerated my stupidity.

IIRC I staggered to a win with a 30mile treadmill jaunt hours after my son was delivered.  FFS.  Two 140+ weeks that month.

So being fat and out of shape but with vacation to use, I've embarked on a personal challenge this December.  While the prior one ushered in 2 years of sciatic injuries, I'm hoping this one breaks a solid year of sloth.

Doubles are annoying.  So I've decided the challenge here is to see how many days in a row I can crank out a long run, which I define personally at 15 miles or longer.  This is not an average, but a minimum of a single run of 15 miles or more each day.

Recognize I've done like 2-3 real long runs in the past year.

My goal is a full week, though I don't return to work until January 4th so this could stretch on a bit if the body is able.  So far I'm two days in (16 on the treadmill yesterday, 15 on paved trails today) and feeling surprisingly good for an out-of-shape fatass.  I'm not sure I've ever run two singles that long back-to-back.

I have something monumentally stupid lined up for Day 3, if the weather and body cooperate....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Go get it Spaniel! If you start to slack off I'll be here to lend my encouragement heckle and shame you into another long run.

My goal since November has been to run at least 30 miles a week. So far so good. If I can maintain that through 2016 that will get me a yearly mileage PR.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Very Hurtlockerish spaniel

No stunt for me but I am trying to stay over 40 miles per week through Dec. Now January may be a different story.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Go get it Spaniel! If you start to slack off I'll be here to lend my encouragement heckle and shame you into another long run.

+1

Wouldn't you know December is shaping up to be my most miles month of 2015.  Since early August I have run at least 20 miles every week but 2, and those were due to my trip down south.

Similar to Whodat, I am shooting for a regular dose of 30 mile weeks.  Hopefully the hip can take it.  Losing some weight would help.  Was making some progress with that this quarter until my trip down south.  Damn Asheville has a shit ton of good beer.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Heh.  The swagger lasted right up to my first step running today.  My legs were not sore or anything but totally depleted.  I had to cut it a few miles short and was 30+ seconds per mile slower than yesterday.  I figured fail small today so I can regroup and get back on the horse tomorrow, instead of falll on my sword today and be totally SOL tomorrow.

Kinda sucked running by some kid and hearing him refer to me as a "jogger".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Kinda sucked running by some kid and hearing him refer to me as a "jogger".

Welcome to our world.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Well, boys, too bad this one came a day late and a dollar short, for me or I'd be in on it.  Good luck to you knuckleheads on this challenge but I have my own stupidity planned!

Yesterday, in a fit of optimism maybe brought on by eggnog buzz, I signed up for a 50K.  The race shuffle is tomorrow.  Not some 50K with 3 or 4 or 5 loops that pass by the car (so I could bail out at the flimsiest excuse, which I most definitely would come up with) but a trail 50K that is out and back.  This bad boy  I haven't ever run so much as a single step past the finish line of a marathon so I consider this one my December Hurtlocker challenge.

Here goes nuthin ....

Just a dude.

Wow, I'm looking outside at 4-6" of snow, with probably over a foot on the trails around Tahoe. I wouldn't have even considered a trail race this time of year. That one looks kinda fun.  Good Luck!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

Well, boys, too bad this one came a day late and a dollar short, for me or I'd be in on it.  Good luck to you knuckleheads on this challenge but I have my own stupidity planned!

Yesterday, in a fit of optimism maybe brought on by eggnog buzz, I signed up for a 50K.  The race shuffle is tomorrow.  Not some 50K with 3 or 4 or 5 loops that pass by the car (so I could bail out at the flimsiest excuse, which I most definitely would come up with) but a trail 50K that is out and back.  This bad boy  I haven't ever run so much as a single step past the finish line of a marathon so I consider this one my December Hurtlocker challenge.

Here goes nuthin ....

If only I could claim credit for inspiring stupidity.   Very nice.

my bravado broken by my body, and Christmas turning into a fully enjoyable day with family lacking running, I haven't exactly followed through. But this week will be at least my biggest week since January, and I plan better for next week.

kcam

Success!  4:57:08, 11th overall, 1st in 50-59 and most importantly, two falls!

The second one was rough, at very close to the end of the race both calves decided to cramp.  Went down like a sack of those boiled potatos I was eating during the race.  Just a few scrapes on my leg and was able to get up and crank it in to the finish.  Way back in the day I used to ride some of those trails on my mountain bike (before running totally pushed that hobby out of the way).  It was a little nostalgic.  Just like back in the old MTB days - "The mountain always takes a little blood".  It was a very cold day for us Californians, <29 deg at the start, but still a gorgeous day for a trail run.

Damn..

stupid streaking long runs... and a stupidly long race.

Love you guys. Nice work out there.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land