3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Good Riddance to 2012 (Read 297 times)

Seanv2

I've only been at this running game for a couple of years, but 2012 was my most frustrating year yet.  I spent most of the year injured and then when I could finally run again, trying to build back a base of fitness. I'm running pain free now for the first time in ages and looking forward to a year with a lot of time on the roads and (hopefully) a bunch of PRs.

Hope you all are feeling as optimistic as I am.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

agreed. 2012 (at least running-wise) sucked for me as well.  Got injured on Dec 30th of 2011 and spent half the year figuring that out before having a bunch of knee issues the rest of the year.

I finally got something going now, trying to keep it rolling.

Seanv2

agreed. 2012 (at least running-wise) sucked for me as well.  Got injured on Dec 30th of 2011 and spent half the year figuring that out before having a bunch of knee issues the rest of the year.

I finally got something going now, trying to keep it rolling.

You and me both, dude.  Good luck out there.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

I'm running pain free now for the first time in ages and looking forward to a year with a lot of time on the roads and (hopefully) a bunch of PRs.

Hope you all are feeling as optimistic as I am.

Great to hear!  The optimism you carry now is a great feeling.  My only two cents from being there one too many times is to be patient as you grow your running.  It's easy to go out there and overdo it when you feel good.  Knowing when to keep things in check is the hard part.  I hope you can find that balance and keep things healthy for 2013.

Seanv2

.  Knowing when to keep things in check is the hard part.  

This is the lesson I think I finally learned in 2012.  Lets hope I am not so stupid that I make the same mistake again.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

kcam

mbehr said it well.  I'll add that it might help to get the thought of a bunch of PRs out of your mind completely.  Just concentrate on good, solid training and, when you race, concentrate on racing to the best of your ability and training on that particular day - not so much on PR'ing.  Have a great 2013.

C-R

Great to hear!  The optimism you carry now is a great feeling.  My only two cents from being there one too many times is to be patient as you grow your running.  It's easy to go out there and overdo it when you feel good.  Knowing when to keep things in check is the hard part.  I hope you can find that balance and keep things healthy for 2013.

Very wise words. This running thing is a marathon not a sprint. Yeah I went there.

Here's to steady progress in '13. Hurtlocker style.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Glad to hear things are on the upswing!

I have to say, one thing that's really helped me with training balance has been working with a coach.  I make note of how the run went, how I felt, and any physical issues; he log-stalks; and I get a (much more experienced) second set of eyes reviewing things and making sure I'm not doing anything too stupid.  Getting a schedule that prescribes easy stuff and workouts also helps me keep in mind the purpose of each day's run, so I don't get carried away and start pushing that "6mi easy" workout just because I feel frisky.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'm in the same boat - injuries all through 2011 and 2012 and I'm ready for some consistent healthy running in 2013.

Went back this morning to really look how bad 2012 was.  It's pretty sad when the total mileage for the last four months of the year are almost greater than the prior 8 months.  And I really only had one real race (February).  There were only 3 others I "participated" in throughout the year.  Had no business being there but I did them any way.

All I know is that where I'm at now in the first 10 days of 2013, I'm already ahead of where I was in 2011.  This is the year to put some hurt in the hurtlocker.  Legs feel good and there's been NO pain in the morning!

Prince of Fatness

I'm in the same boat - injuries all through 2010, 2011, and 2012 and I'm ready for some consistent healthy running in 2013.

Fixed for me.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

2012 was a year of over-racing and mediocrity for me ... Good riddance.

But on a happy note - With the amount of time and effort put in and the lackluster results, it has pushed me to make changes to by training goals.  I have come full circle from 2005 ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !