3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

July 2016 Race Thread (Read 15 times)

Wow, the last race thread we had was January!?  Temps are higher and track season is in full swing.  Who is out there racing this month?  Let's post 'em.

NameDateDistanceRaceLocationGoalResult
     kencamet 7/23 5000m WVJS Track 5k Saratoga, CA 19:10  19:30
    kencamet 7/30 1 mi Miracle Mile San Rafael, CA 5:30

WhoDatRunner 7/30 13.1 mi Eagle Creek Trail HM Indianapolis, IN

Goal 1: Show Up

Goal 2: <2:30

Sorry.. not for me in July / August. It was 107 outside this week! On multiple days!

But, I appreciate the enthusiasm.. and looking at your log, I can see why.

When are you racing Mbehr?

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

kcam

kencamet   7/23   5000m   WVJS Track 5,000   Saratoga, Ca    19:10

kencamet   7/30   1 Mile     Miracle Mile              San Rafael, CA  5:30

Feeling the growl again

Happy to see this back.  Though I am 15lbs from being a participant.  But I'm busy getting serious about that particular encumberment.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Me too.  Glad to see that you're getting the time to train again, spaniel.  Don't let 15 pounds keep you away, I'm 10 over my best weight and I can really feel it out there when I'm racing.  Getting beat by guys I used to beat by a minute at 5K. That's racing though.  Still finding great satisfaction from getting out and racing and training to the best of my ability/situation! 

Ken is the only taker so far?  July was a busy one overall where running to back seat to life.  Let's see, July consisted of a work trip to Kansas at the beginning of the month, 2 week family vacation filled with camping and lots of travels around Oregon and Washington, and a work trip to Mexico.  We did lots of hiking on our vacation and I ran when it allowed and didn't interfere with plans/activities of the trip.  Now that July is almost over, I'm a month away from an Olympic distance tri and two months away from Chicago.  Seeming that the single longest run I've had in the last few months was around 12-13 miles, I'm feeling pretty confident about this fall...NOT.

kcam

Track 5K was 19:30.  Very ho-hum but I've never, ever run well on the track.

Nice work Ken... not bad for the middle of July!

I've heard that running in circles takes a bit of practice.

kcam

Thanks Ben.  I do get better the more I do it but I just have never ran really well there.  Next up fo rme is Race for the Arts in Sacramento.  Very flat and fast.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

WhoDatRunner 7/30 13.1 Eagle Creek Trail HM Indianapolis, IN

Primary Goal: Show Up  

Secondary Goal: 2:30:00

My list of excuses for why I might not show up. I tweaked my back last weekend. It's better, but still not 100%. I'll have family in town. This is more of an incentive to get out of the house, but it complicates logistics. It may be raining or hot. My running has slowly declined ever since signing up for this race. I'm a wuss.

My best time for this race is 2:39:00. I have no reason to think I can finish in under 2:30:00, but what the hell. It's the Hurtlocker.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

That is always a great race. Im waiting for XC in September at Golden Gate Park.

Thanks Ben.  I do get better the more I do it but I just have never ran really well there.  Next up fo rme is Race for the Arts in Sacramento.  Very flat and fast.

WDR.. It sounds like just an opportunity for a nice run.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

WhoDatRunner 7/30 13.1 Eagle Creek Trail HM Indianapolis, IN

Primary Goal: Show Up  

Secondary Goal: 2:30:00

My list of excuses for why I might not show up. I tweaked my back last weekend. It's better, but still not 100%. I'll have family in town. This is more of an incentive to get out of the house, but it complicates logistics. It may be raining or hot. My running has slowly declined ever since signing up for this race. I'm a wuss.

My best time for this race is 2:39:00. I have no reason to think I can finish in under 2:30:00, but what the hell. It's the Hurtlocker.

Showed up, went out too hard, blew up after mile 10. I always forget how hard this course is. 2:43:03

Knifey blew by me shortly after I blew up.

Looking forward to drinking some sour beers this afternoon.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

5:53.  Weird day.  The race was at 5:45PM (I guess they were trying to make this great event for the city of San Rafael with bike criterium races on the same course).  Traffic getting up there was horrible at this time of day and I know several people that missed the start of their race.

The bike races were first and to be honest it was great watching those guys fly around the ~1000m city street loop.  4 90 deg right hand turns.  The first couple bikes would absolutely fly by and then the pack (or is that peloton? not sure) would come and these guys were going so fast you could feel a pretty significant breeze that they'd kick up.  Amazing how fast they were going.

After that they started the mile races.  It was kind of chaotic as I think we were an afterthought, no one knew for sure where the start was until the Masters women were lining up.  OH SO THAT'S WHERE IT IS!  Uphill start (fairly steep too) then rh turn for a downhill for a bit, rh turn then another rh turn back up the hill for another loop then finish on the uphill (big, 1000m square. We did 1.6 laps basically).  I felt like I could have gone much faster if I'd run this course before.  I had no idea where to hold back and where to push.  Couldn't run the course ahead of the race because of all the people and the bike races going on.

Like I said ... weird day!  Still we had a great time just wish they'd bring it back to 8AM, please.