3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Feeling the growl again

Here's the thread for all the things which come out of left field and ruin/set back an otherwise valiant attempt to hurt yourself.

In other words, here's your injury thread and place to generally whine about whatever has derailed your training.

Vent, whine, cry, whatever you have to do to feel better.  I'm sure someone will be along really shortly to tell you to stop being a pansy, dust off those chaps, and get back on that horse.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

This is a trap, right?  'Cause "this is not a 'you can do it!' group."  Ah, so what?

I'm tired of stupid shit popping up in my races.  Trying to break 20 for the 5k, Clive?  OK, you bust out 4min/km pace while I misplace this turn-around cone and make you run 5.54km.  Looking for 70min in your 10-mile race?  Here's a nice side stitch -- have fun breathing!  Oh, you're back to try that sub-20 thing again?  How 'bout some nausea, because who doesn't mind throwing up mid-race?

I knew a LOT of golfers who were really good at the range, but they weren't able to bring that game to the course.  I'm starting to feel like that as a runner.  Not that I crank out elite workouts, but I think they evidence a better fitness than I'm seeing in my race times.  And I don't like that.

Enough.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

C-R

Do we have any artisan cheeses in here?

You know to go with the wine.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TripleBock

I have been struggling with and not attempting to do something about my hamstring since November - Well I stopped running fast in November - Which helped a lot.  But the last 4 miles of Saturday's marathon when I ramped up the pace - Twang - bark - bark.  I have myself to blame as I have done absolutely nothing to try and fix it.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

10 year old very sharp (VS) chedder.

C-R

10 year old very sharp (VS) chedder.

Nice.

Due to my German heritage, I will be happy to bring some limburger. Sardines are of course optional.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I have this godawful blood blister that will not go away. It sounds stupid, and if someone told me about it, i'd tell them to suck it up and quit being lame. Actually, I probably have said that to someone with a blister before so this is probably what I get. But seriously, it's actually a problem. I've had it for at least 2 weeks. For the first week it kept filling up on runs, so I kept popping it. I cut all the skin off of it but the footpad part is hurting now, and has been most of last week. We're going on the third week...I keep running on it, it keeps hurting, but I can ignore the pain after a few miles. The worst is walking around on it.

I don't know how to make it heal. Basically there's a giant hole now between my big and 2nd toe.

Also, i'm working myself through all of my socks, staining them pink since it bleeds every run.

suck it up and quit being lame.

You said it yourself.  Wink

TripleBock

I drain them - but that is all.  I never shave skin etc.  I usually get them under my toe nails ... then a few months later the nail falls off.  Usually my right foot big toe.  Not really painful ... Just waiting for it to start to detach.  Likely it will wait until some big race and do it in the middle of the race. 

I have this godawful blood blister that will not go away. It sounds stupid, and if someone told me about it, i'd tell them to suck it up and quit being lame. Actually, I probably have said that to someone with a blister before so this is probably what I get. But seriously, it's actually a problem. I've had it for at least 2 weeks. For the first week it kept filling up on runs, so I kept popping it. I cut all the skin off of it but the footpad part is hurting now, and has been most of last week. We're going on the third week...I keep running on it, it keeps hurting, but I can ignore the pain after a few miles. The worst is walking around on it.

I don't know how to make it heal. Basically there's a giant hole now between my big and 2nd toe.

Also, i'm working myself through all of my socks, staining them pink since it bleeds every run.

INJINJI'S Black ones!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

and +2 on the sucking it up. Something about high mileage and nice feet don't go together. If you only have one blister bothering you, you're pretty lucky

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I have myself to blame as I have done absolutely nothing to try and fix it.

As somebody who's pretty much in that same hamstring boat, I'm curious... If you were going to do something to try and fix it, what would you do?

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

TripleBock

Lunges + foam roller + Leg weights + Core work. 

As somebody who's pretty much in that same hamstring boat, I'm curious... If you were going to do something to try and fix it, what would you do?

and +2 on the sucking it up. Something about high mileage and nice feet don't go together. If you only have one blister bothering you, you're pretty lucky

I didn't say it was bothering me because my feet aren't pretty. If that was the only thing making my feet ugly i'd be pretty lucky. I get blisters all the time but this one is different.

Injinis bother me because they're all cottony. Thanks though. Er wait, are the black ones made of a different material? I've never seen those.

Obviously i'm sucking it up. I just want it to heal so it'll stop bleeding and oozing everywhere. And then there's the limping and walking thing.

Hawt and sexy

Injinis are superwash merino wool. As far as I know, that's all they ever were. If all else fails, knit your own socks. It ain't hard. Superwash wool is cheap and easy to find.

PS- I had a blister that wouldn't heal earlier this year. Turned out to be an infection that could have killed me. Good times.

PSS- Did Flounder change his name again?

I'm touching your pants.