3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

MrFinn & rest of the NJ contingent (Read 294 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm fucking having flashbacks here.

This shit sucks.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My daughter lives on Long Island

Where?

My wife is from Lido Beach / Long Beach. Most of that area is totally decimated.

Prince of Fatness

This storm was all about surge and wind, not rain for the most part.  I was watching the news Monday morning and it was high tide and they were flooding.  The storm was stiill out to sea.

The next high tide was that evening.  When the storm made landfall.  And a full moon.  I have never seen a storm take a path when it stayed out to sea then hung a left right at NJ.  Ever..

While watching the news Monday they were interviewing people out on the barrier islands and they were saying that they rode out other storms and this one is no different.  I was thinking that some of those people were going to die.  Really sad.

All I remember is that right about the time the power went out the whole house was shaking and I was too.  And I am about 80 miles inland.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I'm fucking having flashbacks here.

This shit sucks.

I am still waiting on local intel.  A third of the people I support in my company are in Manhattan, the office is ~29th Street.  They are HOPING they can be back on Monday, but nothing is certain.  So far, all I know is that the people I have emailed back and forth with are "ok".  I have seen photos from the area online after the storm and there was more water than I would have though possible at that location...but I think their building was high enough to escape direct damage.

Apparently the news is too busy focusing on some silly footrace.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

This storm was all about surge and wind, not rain for the most part.  I was watching the news Monday morning and it was high tide and they were flooding.  The storm was stiill out to sea.

The next high tide was that evening.  When the storm made landfall.  And a full moon.  I have never seen a storm take a path when it stayed out to sea then hung a left right at NJ.  Ever..

While watching the news Monday they were interviewing people out on the barrier islands and they were saying that they rode out other storms and this one is no different.  I was thinking that some of those people were going to die.  Really sad.

All I remember is that right about the time the power went out the whole house was shaking and I was too.  And I am about 80 miles inland.

The approaching low sucked it in.  Forecasted and shitty luck, especially coinciding with high tide on the coast.

I will step aside from the conversation on people in high risk areas who did not evacuate or have rebuilt after being hit before. Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

kcam

Where?

My wife is from Lido Beach / Long Beach. Most of that area is totally decimated.

Nesconsett.

Prince of Fatness

I will step aside from the conversation on people in high risk areas who did not evacuate or have rebuilt after being hit before. Smile

I totally get wanting to stay with your stuff, but there was at least 24 hours notice saying that the storm surge would be unprecedented.  My ass would have been out of there.  The decision was too easy.

It really was disturbing listening to those people saying that they would ride it out.  And I am hearing that the death toll is understated.  Don't know how true that is.  Sad,

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

My ass would have been out of there.  The decision was too easy.

This.  

Prince of Fatness

The office that I work in still has no power so that is my big issue right now.

Power was restored last night, so in an hour or so I need to go help move the equipment back from the backup site to the office.  We should be open for business with no issues tomorrow morning.  We did OK at the backup site and learned a few lessons in the process.

So, I am hoping that by the end of the week things will be starting to get back to normal for me.  As I have been saying, I am one of the lucky ones. 

Not at it at all.