3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Question about possible over training (Read 838 times)

I have nothing to add other than I hope it's nothing serious and you get it resolved quickly.

Thanks Tim! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

I would guess you are directing that effect into your running - Where as my wife does not run ... 

well so far no effect on my libido (hope dh isn't too dissappointed) however another great run this morning though at 8 miles I was starting to get hungry and a bit tired so I stopped at 9.

Good idea Clive

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ostrich runner

I would guess you are directing that effect into your running - Where as my wife does not run ... 

I'll hope for your sake she doesn't channel it into 24 hour training like you.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

My understanding is that mono or EBV is related to many of these types of things as well as quite a few autoimmune issues. Also, the virus can reactivate throughout ones life when immunity is compromised by stress and such. 

Honestly, that was my first thought when I read Rockers first post.

I'm pretty sure I contracted Mono in early May and felt like crap for most of the summer. I never got tested, just tried to let it run its course and take it a little easy. My oldest daughter was diagnosed in March around the time for HS track season which totally screwed up her whole season. It never knocked me out, but serevely compromised my training and ability to withstand the heat and humidity of summer.

I didn't get an increase in resting HR, although I did notice my HR would rise rapidly as fatigue began to set in while running. I could barely get in a simple three miler without huffing and puffing. My cycling and swimming was not affected as much so I tried to supplement my running with those two activities.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Honestly, that was my first thought when I read Rockers first post.

I'm pretty sure I contracted Mono in early May and felt like crap for most of the summer. I never got tested, just tried to let it run its course and take it a little easy. My oldest daughter was diagnosed in March around the time for HS track season which totally screwed up her whole season. It never knocked me out, but serevely compromised my training and ability to withstand the heat and humidity of summer.

I didn't get an increase in resting HR, although I did notice my HR would rise rapidly as fatigue began to set in while running. I could barely get in a simple three miler without huffing and puffing. My cycling and swimming was not affected as much so I tried to supplement my running with those two activities.

I will be asking the doctor about this.

I have other issue's other than stamina and hr changes. I've dealt with night sweats since my early 20's. Raynauds since I was a kid though it's getting to the point that sitting in my house with temps at 72  and it still happens as well as at the grocery store. I've had problems with hypoglycemia for years however it used to be it was easily controlled. Now not so much. I also have sensory issue's big time especially when I'm stressed. I can literally feel my body chemistry change during times like that. Like toxins are running through my system, it's really weird and it SUCKS! Course it could just be wishful thinking that I actually might get rightfully diagnosed (was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder though I don't think it's a correct one) and get on the path to feeling healthy 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ran a half marathon today. Starting temp was 27 degrees. Ran it 4 minutes faster than last weeks (temps in the high 30's may have been very low 40's) half marathon which was flat by the way. Todays race was NOT flat and it finished uphill. Heart rate average was lower by 3 beats and I didn't even hit the high of last week. And like last weeks race today's effort was very even.  In fact come effort they were pretty darn close though hard to compare flat vs hilly. Anyway think the licorice root is helping because I had no "flat" feeling when it came to my legs and stamina. Anyway just thought I'd share

Feeling the growl again

Ran a half marathon today. Starting temp was 27 degrees. Ran it 4 minutes faster than last weeks (temps in the high 30's may have been very low 40's) half marathon which was flat by the way. Todays race was NOT flat and it finished uphill. Heart rate average was lower by 3 beats and I didn't even hit the high of last week. And like last weeks race today's effort was very even.  In fact come effort they were pretty darn close though hard to compare flat vs hilly. Anyway think the licorice root is helping because I had no "flat" feeling when it came to my legs and stamina. Anyway just thought I'd share

So what changes have you made?  What do you think was responsible for the turnaround?

I get an ad for iodine supplements now based on this thread.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Great news about the  improvements in how you're feeling. That's a big change in a week, and interesting that it correlates with when you started taking the licorice.  Did you change anything else?   Well, whatever it is that us causing the improvements, it's great to hear.  When do you have your next appointment with the Dr?

Unlike Spaniel, I'm getting adverts for the "National Accident Helpline". 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

The only change I made was taking licorice root. I only started it to placate my husband, however I'm having a hard time believing that it's just a coincidence that things started to turn around not long after I started taking it.

MTA: today's doctors appointment has been canceled and will be rescheduled. Doctors office has no power. It works out better for me cause I've got 2 sick kids home and since I am feeling better I'm not as "desperate" if that makes sense.  I don't expect  the licorice to make the diagnosis per say but it should help the doctor narrow things down

The only change I made was taking licorice root. I only started it to placate my husband, however I'm having a hard time believing that it's just a coincidence that things started to turn around not long after I started taking it.

It does seem as though that was the turning point, especially as things had been getting worse, rather than even being stable or going in obvious quick phases.  I hope it didn't come across that I was doubting the licorice as having an impact on everything. (I work in a group who are interested in sulfurophane from brocolli on cartilage health and also diallyl disulphide from garlic, as well as a few other "nutraceutical"-style compounds (anthrocyanins are one).  The main thing always seems to be the issue of bioavailability, something they are specifically addressing in patient studies, whereas the in vitro work defintely shows promising effects in protecting cartilage and cartilage cells...and other groups are seeing cool stuff when looking at lung cell health too.  So I certainly agree that "natural" compounds can be effective.  My work, sadly isn't as "sexy" or media-friendly, and ends up with me being nicknamed  "dickhead girl", and no, I don't work on male parts.

I hope the kids get better soon, and that you continue to get these improvements (with or without improvements in libido).  Good luck with everything, and I hope the Dr appointment is soonish as even though you're less desperate I'm sure it would be nice to get more clues on a diagnosis etc. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

It does seem as though that was the turning point, especially as things had been getting worse, rather than even being stable or going in obvious quick phases.  I hope it didn't come across that I was doubting the licorice as having an impact on everything. (I work in a group who are interested in sulfurophane from brocolli on cartilage health and also diallyl disulphide from garlic, as well as a few other "nutraceutical"-style compounds (anthrocyanins are one).  The main thing always seems to be the issue of bioavailability, something they are specifically addressing in patient studies, whereas the in vitro work defintely shows promising effects in protecting cartilage and cartilage cells...and other groups are seeing cool stuff when looking at lung cell health too.  So I certainly agree that "natural" compounds can be effective.  My work, sadly isn't as "sexy" or media-friendly, and ends up with me being nicknamed  "dickhead girl", and no, I don't work on male parts.

I hope the kids get better soon, and that you continue to get these improvements (with or without improvements in libido).  Good luck with everything, and I hope the Dr appointment is soonish as even though you're less desperate I'm sure it would be nice to get more clues on a diagnosis etc. 

Oh no it didn't come across that way, even if it had it wouldn't upset me because like I said I only took it to placate my husband. 

Sorry to hear your work isn't as "sexy" and media friendly as the other stuff .

Thanks!  I'm hoping to be in the doctors by next week. I'd like to have things figured out and a plan set by end of November course we all know how plans like this go