3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who needs a hamster wheel (Read 974 times)

Ostrich runner

It must have lots of juice.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

I couldn't resist

hamsterwheel

MTA: Spaniel - open the link and read about 3/4 way down the page. Bullet Proof frame. Heh.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

MTA: Spaniel - open the link and read about 3/4 way down the page. Bullet Proof frame. Heh.

Sounds like a challenge to me.

But yeah,it was the deck design that was shit.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

The fourth electronic console was installed on the NordicTrack Commercial 1500 about 3 weeks ago.

Very early in my 33 mile treadmill run, I thought I felt something odd lengthwise along the center of the deck.  I stopped it, holding my hand to the deck while jumping, but could not feel anything.  I've often thought I felt it since then but kind of dismissed it.

I never told my wife about it and tonight she brought up the same thing.  So I folded up the machine and stuck my hand under the belt on the bottom....

The damn deck is cracked in half lengthwise nearly from end to end.

Angry

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Spaniel - Treadmill Killa

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WTF?  Another problem with the 1500?  Maybe you need to run more miles outside or at the new fitness center at work.

The 1750 is still going strong here.

Spaniel - Treadmill Killa

Feeling the growl again

WTF?  Another problem with the 1500?  Maybe you need to run more miles outside or at the new fitness center at work.

The 1750 is still going strong here.

I don't run any more miles on it than daddy duty dictates (which has been at a peak lately, due to taper off in a few months).  Work was a PIA today, some asshole ran the 30min busy time limit on one (I watched him hit it), left his towel on it and wen to the bathroom, then bitched at me when he came back and I'd thrown the towel off and taken his machine.  So it took me 90min to do a 53min run and I had to stay late.  Sad

Three more days and enough snow will melt off the unplowed trails that I can run outside at work again.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them at what point they would rather buy the machine back than keep injecting money into parts and tech visits.

Why not just do those 30+ long runs on the roads?  Doesn't solve the treadmill problem but 30+ on a treadmill has got to be brutal.

Feeling the growl again

Why not just do those 30+ long runs on the roads?  Doesn't solve the treadmill problem but 30+ on a treadmill has got to be brutal.

1) Roads here have a pretty steep crown

2)  Very open and flat and prone to constant wind, so at current temps it is much more brutal than the machine

3)  Greatly simplifies fueling

4)  Can still watch over older 2 kids while running

5)  Most importantly, if my back lets go on me or hip locks up (what doomed some of my longer efforts) I can simply step off instead of finding myself 10 miles from home, in wet clothes, in sub-zero temps, relegated to a limping walk.

I don't run any more miles on it than daddy duty dictates (which has been at a peak lately, due to taper off in a few months).  Work was a PIA today, some asshole ran the 30min busy time limit on one (I watched him hit it), left his towel on it and wen to the bathroom, then bitched at me when he came back and I'd thrown the towel off and taken his machine.  So it took me 90min to do a 53min run and I had to stay late.  Sad

Clearly some other asshole went over the 30 min busy time limit.

Feeling the growl again

Clearly some other asshole went over the 30 min busy time limit.

Nope...I got off at 30, went to the bathroom (went back to the end of the line), and came back to 3 empty machines to finish up.  Smile

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The damn deck is cracked in half lengthwise nearly from end to end.

Angry

Maybe you need to loose some weight.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Maybe you need to loose some weight.

Heh.  I read this while eating carrots and an orange for lunch while on hold with Customer Service.

So they are out of stock on the deck (huh, that sounds familiar) with no idea when they might get more....so trying to keep the mileage up just got a bit harder.

Prince of Fatness

Spaniel, how do you think that your treadmill would be with light use?  I have been toying with the idea of getting one but would probably only use it say, 5 or so hours a month tops.  Given that it does not make sense to buy a top of the line expensive treadmill.  But I don't want to just throw money away, either.

I suppose that another option would be to wait until the weather gets warmer and keep an eye out for a used one.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, how do you think that your treadmill would be with light use?  I have been toying with the idea of getting one but would probably only use it say, 5 or so hours a month tops.  Given that it does not make sense to buy a top of the line expensive treadmill.  But I don't want to just throw money away, either.

I suppose that another option would be to wait until the weather gets warmer and keep an eye out for a used one.

A used one is not a bad idea, as long as you don't mind rolling the dice on as-is and taking it apart to transport etc.  HEAVY.

The $1000-1500 treadmills, from my experience (n=2), I got 1500-2000 miles before I started having imajor ssues (I'm excluding the console issues).  Go slower on them and you should get more...drink too much beer and you should get less.  So run the math and see if you are happy with how long it should last you, if you believe my small data set.

Of course others on here have not had my issues.

For reference, the Sole was getting a consistent 1000 miles/year.  The NordicTrack has gotten closer to 1500-1800 in 10 months.