3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

October Racing Thread (Read 676 times)

As the dew point drops, it must only mean one thing....OCTOBER!  Let's see who has what.

NameDateDistanceRaceLocationGoalResult
    WhoDatRunner 10/6 15k DINO Trail Series 15k Avon, IN <1:30:00  Cancelled
    WhoDatRunner 10/6 5 mile Wine at the Line 5 mile Bargersville, IN <44:00 (PR) 42:23!!!!
    flatfooter 10/6 26.2 Lakefront Marathon Milwaukee, WI <2:50  2:56:33
    MilkTruck 10/6 13.1 Applefest Half Hollis, NH

(A) - Finish

(B) <1:43

1:47:46
    Obsessor 10/7 5k "Spirit of Survival"   18:50

18:46*

what was that first mile???

TeaOlive 10/7 50k F.A.T.S. Sumter Natl Forest, SC <7 hr  DNF Black eye
    CliveF 10/13 15k Lungstrong Cornelius, NC <63 min  62:47*
    CEIE 10/13 13.1 Monument Half Marathon Scottsbluff, NE <1:50 1:52:10
    MrFinn 10/13 10k  LGNC More or Less a 10k Trail Run  Slatingon, PA <60 min  ~57:35*
    Obsessor 10/20 50k Palo Duro 50k   Top 5, 5 hr  
    Spaniel 10/20 50M Des Plaines River Trail Races 50-miler Lincolnshire, IL <6 hr  DNF - ~38 miles
    Greg C 10/21 26.2 Baystate Marathon Lowell, MA Sub-3  3:10:12
    TeaOlive 10/21 10 mile Army 10 Miler DC 1:22  1:22:20
    TeaOlive 10/27 10k Broad St Ramble 10k August, GA <50:00  49:18*
    WhoDatRunner 10/27 5k Drag Strip Dash 5k Indianapolis, IN <24:45 (PR) 24:05*

Prince of Fatness

WTF, I'll bite.

Race: Lehigh Gap Nature Center More or Less a 10K Trail Run and 2 Mile Scamper

Distance: 10K (more or less, heh)

Place: Slatington, PA

Date: 13th

This is a trail race, but it is really two different races.  The first two miles are canal towpath, flat, wide, easy running.  After that is single track and hills.

So I guess that I need to run pretty hard early to avoid being stuck in traffic.  I have run this route before and will go back in a week or so for a refresher.  I know what to expect.

Goal is < 63 minutes.  For now.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive     Oct 7        F.A.T.S.  50K   Sumter National Forest, SC   <7:00  Just for fun.  

Oct 21     Army 10 Miler  DC    1:22  Husband wanted to do this one so...

steph  

obsessor

October 7th, "Spirit of Survival" 5k, goal of 18:50.

Then

October 20th, Palo Duro 50k. Goal, who knows, .... top 5? 5 hours? something like that.

CliveF 13OCT2012 15k Lungstrong Cornelius NC sub-63?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Oct. 21'st

Baystate Marathon

Lowell, Ma.

Throwing all good sense right out the fucking window, gonna see if I can pull a sub 3 out of my ass. My now 2 year old PR is currently 3:14:26, so either way, this is gonna be entertaining for somebody.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

WTF, I'll bite.

This is a trail race, but it is really two different races.  The first two miles are canal towpath, flat, wide, easy running.  After that is single track and hills.

So I guess that I need to run pretty hard early to avoid being stuck in traffic.  I have run this route before and will go back in a week or so for a refresher.  I know what to expect.

If I can I'm going to show up to watch and cheer!! WIsh I could run this!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

If I can I'm going to show up to watch and cheer!! WIsh I could run this!

Hope to see you there!

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

WTF, I'll bite.

Got my refresher in.  Sort of.  The course runs along a mountain ridge about a third of the way up, so while there are some hills it's not all that bad.  Ascents are steep, but not that long.  Well yesterday we decided to do some exploring so we took one of the trails that goes to the top of the mountain, then came down the other side along the Appalachian Trail.  We ended up taking a wrong turn or two which tacked on some mileage, but it was a lot of fun.  Lots of nice views from up there.  It turned into a two hour adventure of running, walking, and climbing.

Anyway, I re-familiarized myself with the course.  Please change my goal to < 60 minutes.  Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel -- 10/20 -- Des Plaines River Trail Races 50-Miler -- Lincolnshire, IL -- sub-6

It is official with the entry.  Gulp.

I really should set an primary goal of finishing given some of the issues I've had on longer runs, but it seems to only happen if I stop running and it looks like I'll have a good crew so I should not have to stop.

I am glad they post the entry list up ahead of time.....one of the names looked vaguely familiar so I Googled him to learn he is a 5:30 guy.  So when he shoots off at the gun I will make sure I am well behind him and don't get tempted to think I can win it.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

obsessor

Spaniel -- 10/20 -- Des Plaines River Trail Races 50-Miler -- Lincolnshire, IL -- sub-6

ballsy. doable, but a challenge. Trails can throw wrenches in pacing plans, though.

Feeling the growl again

ballsy. doable, but a challenge. Trails can throw wrenches in pacing plans, though.

I try not to set goals any other way.

FWIW calling this a "trail" race is really, really stretching it.  The trail is ~10ft wide, flat, dirt/limestone packed so hard that it is no issue to ride a road bike on it at full speed.  Elevation change, there is a bit there but mostly a few small rises to go under a road and back up, or a glacial bump here and there.  Total elevation up/down probably a few hundred feed.  Lots of turns but not the kind that tire you.

IMHO, it's actually faster than the road as it's easier on the legs than pavement, but not soft enough to slow you down at all.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

ballsy. doable, but a challenge. 

I did some research today and realized that a woman who finished ~3min behind me in my spring marathon ran a 6:00:XX 50-miler a week later on a favorable course similar to what I will be running on.

So I figure if she can run 6-flat so close to a marathon slower than mine...this is a fair goal and I feel more hopeful.

However, she probably trains better than me.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

10/6 -- DINO Trail Series 15K, Avon, IN -- 1:30:00

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

10/6 -- DINO Trail Series 15K, Avon, IN -- 1:30:00

WOW, another race!  You're an animal this fall.  10k on 9/3, 1/2 marathon on 9/22, 10k on 9/29 and now this....