3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

July Racing Thread (Read 619 times)

Yes, neither 10 nor 12 hours was correctSmile !

13:28:00.   Last OA.  I actually ran 52.42 miles due to missing a turn towards the end.   Ran the first 25 a little too fast.  

The second 25 miles was much hotter than the first 25 requiring stops every two miles for water refills and ice for bandana.

Temps in the low 90's by afternoon.  But it was fun and I'm glad to have finished.  

Thanks every one for your advice!  Especially DB, Pam and Wriggly Girl.  And WG you were so right about the Ice in the

bandana!  I think for sure that I wouldn't have made it without it!

CONGRATULATIONS Steph! Great job!

The first time I ran 50 miles it was in the brutal heat (heat index over 110) in the middle of July in downtown Philadelphia. The fire marshal's tried to close the course however they did have a really nice place for all the runners to cool off for a bit. I have to say I did NOT have fun that day. Glad to see you managed too! 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

Hey Tea. I know you didn't huit your goal but a 50 miler in South Carolina in August is hardcore racing. Period. You know its gonna be brutal. Well Done.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Hey Tea. I know you didn't huit your goal but a 50 miler in South Carolina in August is hardcore racing. Period. You know its gonna be brutal. Well Done.

+1.  Nice one Tea.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks Pam, C-R and Spaniel!

steph  

Congrats TeaOlive not easy to run 50 Miles on Blacktop in the heat. I am running in Houston this week in similar weather to S Carolina, and can fully appreciate how hard it is to run in high humidity. My 6 mile runs are leaving me completely spent.  I though Charlotte temps were bad, but this is worse, slightly lower temps but much higher humidity.

Feeling the growl again

Congrats TeaOlive not easy to run 50 Miles on Blacktop in the heat. I am running in Houston this week in similar weather to S Carolina, and can fully appreciate how hard it is to run in high humidity. My 6 mile runs are leaving me completely spent.  I though Charlotte temps were bad, but this is worse, slightly lower temps but much higher humidity.

My wife is from Houston.  It is absolutely the worst place to run I have ever encountered. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hey Tea. I know you didn't hit your goal but a 50 miler in South Carolina in August is hardcore racing. Period. You know its gonna be brutal. Well Done.

+2.  Extrapolating from Charlotte heat/humidity, that must've been brutal.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

+2.  Extrapolating from Charlotte heat/humidity, that must've been brutal.

Believe me, WrigleyGirl's ice in the bandana trick made all of the difference!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Sorry for the delay.

Damn.  What a sad bunch of saps we were...of course it was like the hottest month ever recorded so....

Beer selection is pretty dang easy when only 1 person hits their time goal for the month.  Congrats to WG.

It bothers me that your beer mile PR is faster than my mile time.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

It bothers me that your beer mile PR is faster than my mile time.

Wait until I run one on a real track vs a rough grass one and use bottles instead of cans.  Big grin