3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Advice needed (Read 389 times)

So I've got this half marathon I signed up for in less than 3 weeks and a full marathon 3 weeks after that. I wasn't able to do my workout yesterday morning due to the crap that's going on in my hands/arms is going on fully in my left leg (feels like I got a shot of novacain in my leg (ankle up to upper calf). Anyway I did a 3 mile slog instead. Went to the beach and walked on the board walk and can't count at how many times I almost fell flat on my face (DH at one point refused to let go of my hand) and my legs felt really really tired. Anyway just wondering how bad taking the next few days (will be in DC and doing a lot of walking anyways) will affect my training. I'm only going to be missing 1 VO2 max workout and a bunch of miles. I'm still planning on trying to get my marathon paced workout on Sunday in.  I know I'm over thinking and it will be what it will be but I'm really trying to hang on to my goals for the races. 

I guess I need to hear about people who ended up having the race of their lives. If no one has any of those then feel free to tell me that I should not even worry about a time goal for either of those races and any other until I get what's going on figured out and settled.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Daniels, which I don't have in front of me, says you'd lose less than 5% of your current fitness. And personally, I'd run by effort instead of time-target anyway. AND ... I really hope this stuff clears up for you.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Pam, I don't know any thing about the running question but damn!   I very much hope that you get this thing

cleared up soon!

steph  

Prince of Fatness

feel free to tell me that I should not even worry about a time goal for either of those races and any other until I get what's going on figured out and settled.

OK.  You should not even worry about a time goal for either of those races and any other until you get what's going on figured out and settled.

I don't know if running will aggravate what is wrong with you but I do know that it is awful hard to run with a numb leg.  I have a scar on my arm to prove it.

Seriously if it were me I would focus on getting whatever is wrong figured out and resolved.  It's a tough pill to swallow be there will be other races (unfortunately I know that too).

Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

There is no question that you are a tough and determined lady.  Some day I will buy you a beer and toast to that.

At the risk of being the bad guy, I'm going to suggest some perspective on things.  This is not an easy problem you are dealing with; did the docs give you any insight into whether trying to train hard through it is wise or not?  Training aside, if you are almost doing face-plants while walking I am concerned about you putting pressure on yourself to run the races....much less try to PR them.

I know it is really hard to let go of the goals you've worked so hard for...been there done that.  Especially now it is probably something to hold onto as you deal with this frustration.

If you have one major goal right now, I hope it is to figure out what this injury/illness is and make it your bitch so you can get back to rocken it in races.  Marathons are a PIA, and I would not want to see one set you back with this.  Not that I know that it would as I have no idea.

MTA:  Finn types faster...well, at least if I'm the asshole I'm in good company.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

OK.  You should not even worry about a time goal for either of those races and any other until you get what's going on figured out and settled.

I don't know if running will aggravate what is wrong with you but I do know that it is awful hard to run with a numb leg.  I have a scar on my arm to prove it.

Seriously if it were me I would focus on getting whatever is wrong figured out and resolved.  It's a tough pill to swallow be there will be other races (unfortunately I know that too).

Good luck!

Thank you Tim! Very tough pill!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

There is no question that you are a tough and determined lady.  Some day I will buy you a beer and toast to that.

At the risk of being the bad guy, I'm going to suggest some perspective on things.  This is not an easy problem you are dealing with; did the docs give you any insight into whether trying to train hard through it is wise or not?  Training aside, if you are almost doing face-plants while walking I am concerned about you putting pressure on yourself to run the races....much less try to PR them.

I know it is really hard to let go of the goals you've worked so hard for...been there done that.  Especially now it is probably something to hold onto as you deal with this frustration.

If you have one major goal right now, I hope it is to figure out what this injury/illness is and make it your bitch so you can get back to rocken it in races.  Marathons are a PIA, and I would not want to see one set you back with this.  Not that I know that it would as I have no idea.

MTA:  Finn types faster...well, at least if I'm the asshole I'm in good company.

Andy this is the locker room I got what I asked for which is exactly what I needed! My regular doctor is a runner and knows the kind of running I do. I am making an appointment with him next week to get some perspective since things are getting rather progressive. I'm also hoping that he can speed things up with the Neuro though I know for the most part that is out of his hands now.

Pam, I don't know any thing about the running question but damn!   I very much hope that you get this thing

cleared up soon!

Thanks Steph! 

Daniels, which I don't have in front of me, says you'd lose less than 5% of your current fitness. And personally, I'd run by effort instead of time-target anyway. AND ... I really hope this stuff clears up for you.

time target is out the window. Deep down inside I knew I'd have to give it up however I'm too freaken stubborn for y own good sometimes.   IF I run those races it will all be about effort. At least is something I know I can do. Thanks Clive!

Hawt and sexy

I would like to point out that you don't have syphilis. I don't know why, but this seems important. Now, if we only knew what you did have. House is dead, but we might find him on a motorcycle somewhere.

Race? Human race. Rat race. Life man. Way more important than a silly marathon. But if you need the distraction, have at it.

I'm touching your pants.

I think the others have said it all.  I'd err on the side of putting your body first and being an arsehole like Spaniel and Mr Finn, but I know your body needs a happy head.

Either way I really hope you get answers soon.  Thinking of you.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

+1 for what's been said already. I hope your issues are quickly and easily resolved so that you can get back to running at the level your passion demands.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Just piling on but others have said it better in previous posts. Focus on getting healthy. Races and running will be there waiting for you once your healed and then you can go punch those races with passion and pent up emotion.

All the best.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

time target is out the window. Deep down inside I knew I'd have to give it up however I'm too freaken stubborn for y own good sometimes.   IF I run those races it will all be about effort. At least is something I know I can do. Thanks Clive!

That is usually the root of the problem.  Being a little late to the party here, all the good advice has already been given.  I'll give my two cents anyway...having bombed the last two of three marathons, getting to the start line healthy is so much more important than getting that last workout in.  I've been injured going into two of those marathons and it's my stubborness that gets me into trouble. I  finished both walking it in and was way off where I wanted to be.  Despite that, once the pressure of time goals went out the window, I just relaxed and had a great time of it.

That said, your stubborness may take you to the starting line.  If that's the distraction you need to keep you sane while you wait for questions to be answered, then have it.  As you said, time goals are out the window.  Have fun with it.  That's why we're out there anyways, right?  I'd rather be out there doing something I love rather than sitting on the sideline wishing I could do it.  Best of luck and I hope you get this thing figured out soon.

DoppleBock

I really did not know how to respond - But ... How do you balance the needs of the body with the needs of the mind.

Your body needs to he healthy and fit - Running is a great way to acheive this ... but there are other way to stay healthy and fit.

As you have battled this crap for awhile and tried stubbornly to keep training - I think this is more the need of your mind to win.  But I do not underestimate the mental victories to keep you strong in your battle - Sometimes something like running can be the glue that holds you together strong in battle.

I would just say that to continue to run and train as best possible (Maybe with some non running) is a huge victory in your fight.  I would let making it to the race your victory dance and not the race results until you get the other battles fought.

Just my 2-cents

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !