3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

How (Read 397 times)

much should I cut my mileage this week since I have 2 5k's this weekend (well I'm signed up for 2 but obviously I can't really race both.) I've never been really good about cutting my mileage down however I really really would like to do well and go sub 22 for at least 1 of them.  BTW I have my thoughts however I'm not good at acting on them. I do much better on other's advice. Thanks 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hey Rocken,

I'd do a mini-taper, starting Thursday.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hey Rocken,

I'd do a mini-taper, starting Thursday.  

Hmmmmmm. I have a double on Thursday and a double on Friday. Maybe I should combine the double into one run on Thursday and just do the 13 miler that's planned on Friday and drop the second run. Is that enough of a taper for my 5k on Saturday? 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

Well, how important is it for you to really put out a max performance for this race?  

If you want to do the best you can right now, the race should be dictating your training.  In that case, you need at least two days of good rest (ie Nader's advice), meaning at most a very easy and short double Thursday and only a shorter easy run Friday.

If you care about longer-term training goals more than a few seconds in this 5K, just make sure you don't do any workouts the last couple days and do whatever mileage you had on the schedule.

If you don't give a damn about the 5K and it's just a workout, don't treat the time leading up to it any differently than any other workout.

If you have a double planned on Friday and ONE of the runs is a 13-miler....sounds like you wouldn't really be resting up for the race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm more focused on next month so I'm not looking to do the best I can. Saturday's 5k just came up not long ago and I'm teaming up with a fellow RA'R and Sunday's race is part of a 4 month 5k series that I do every year. I've never ran 5k's while doing  90 & 100 mile weeks. I did some switching up to my weekly training and think I've got it figured out. 

Thanks Nader and Spaniel!!

Feeling the growl again

In that case I'd do your Thursday double and a single on Friday (assuming Saturday race) with some short accelerations.  Unless you REALLY don't care how you do.  Wink  I've done okay in 5Ks with just one easy day of running before.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

In that case I'd do your Thursday double and a single on Friday (assuming Saturday race) with some short accelerations.  Unless you REALLY don't care how you do.  Wink  I've done okay in 5Ks with just one easy day of running before.

Yep I switched the 13 mid long and 5 mile to Thursday and shortened Friday's run to 8 miles. I PR'D last month at my last 5k with a similar schedule. 

much should I cut my mileage this week since I have 2 5k's this weekend (well I'm signed up for 2 but obviously I can't really race both.) I've never been really good about cutting my mileage down however I really really would like to do well and go sub 22 for at least 1 of them.  BTW I have my thoughts however I'm not good at acting on them. I do much better on other's advice. Thanks 

If you do high mileage, cut your mileage to about 2/3rd.  Do a hand full of moderate quarters (not too hard) 2 days before race day.  This activates muscles making you more efficient.  Don't static stretch before your race.  Do active stretches and/or 20 second pickups 5-10 minutes before the gun.  

Make sure you warm up for at least 20 minutes prior to doing your pre-race pickups.   

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes.

Feeling the growl again

If you do high mileage, cut your mileage to about 2/3rd.  Do a hand full of moderate quarters (not too hard) 2 days before race day.  This activates muscles making you more efficient.  Don't static stretch before your race.  Do active stretches and/or 20 second pickups 5-10 minutes before the gun.  

Make sure you warm up for at least 20 minutes prior to doing your pre-race pickups.   

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes.

Whooo-yah, Goodman in the Hurtlocker...welcome aboard (and good advice!).

Since he didn't give an introduction, Goodman is a great runner (and former teammate of mine).  

Question is, can I draw him down for the Beer Mile???  Wink

Hey Rocken-  I don't have much to add as the prior posters have already covered it.  IMO, you can use this weekends events to continue to build yourself for what you're looking to do a month down the road.  Spaniel already asked the most important question for you to consider - "How important is it for you to really put out a max performance for this race?"  You've already adjusted your plan accordingly.  On Thursday, looks like you have a key workout and a "recovery" double.  I like what Goodman suggested with the quarters although I prefer a handful of 200's with full recovery to activate the muscles.

Good luck!  You've had a solid 2-1/2 months now.

Welcome to the Hurtlocker Goodman. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Mike! I'll be doing the quarters like Goodman suggested on Thursdays run, probably on the 13 miler.

Anyways why I sign up for these short races while training for an ultra who knows. Guess it's the Gemini in me.  One of these 5k's will be a fun run the other a fitness check. I'm hoping after this summers 100 miler of settling down and actually focusing on training for the fall 5k season. Leave the long races alone for a bit. We shall see