3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Boston 2013 (Read 601 times)

I would say to focus on the second and not worry about cramming in 2000 miles for the year and risk you progress on the achilles.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about hitting that 2000 barrier.  April is the larger goal.  If I run out the rest of the year keeping the same mileage as the last 30 days, I'll be at 1997.  That is very attainable without putting myself in harms way.  Besides, it will be a slight mental victory for me to finish out the year on a positive note with knowing what's to come.

Feeling the growl again

This thread makes me happier than a pantry overflowing with beer.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Consistency.  It's all about consistency.

Pretty much another month in the books and for the most part, right on track.  I haven't done a hill workout for the past two weeks but I have been more consistent on weights and core.  Achilles is fine but for some reason, it seems like something moved up my leg and is giving my hamstring some issues.  Hence the reason of no hill work recently.

To sum up the last four weeks:

-  All weeks >50 mpw (Avg = 55 mpw)

-  61 days and going strong....30-day total = 235.

-  Consistent weight/core work.

-  Two long runs >90 minutes

-  Achilles = good, hamstring = so-so

I'm happy that I've been pushing things through and keeping consistent.  A November goal of hitting 257 miles was set.  I'm a little behind but all is good.  For the next month, I need to do the following:

-  Stretch out the long runs.

-  Incorporate hills in runs as much as I can.

-  Build that weekly mileage to the next step.

-  Keep up with the weight and core routine.

-  Stretch frequently.

I know this is nothing crazy, fancy nor exciting for many but it's helping me through.  Happy running and Hapy T-day!

kcam

Consistency.  It's all about consistency.

Pretty much another month in the books and for the most part, right on track.  I haven't done a hill workout for the past two weeks but I have been more consistent on weights and core.  Achilles is fine but for some reason, it seems like something moved up my leg and is giving my hamstring some issues.  Hence the reason of no hill work recently.

To sum up the last four weeks:

-  All weeks >50 mpw (Avg = 55 mpw)

-  61 days and going strong....30-day total = 235.

-  Consistent weight/core work.

-  Two long runs >90 minutes

-  Achilles = good, hamstring = so-so

I'm happy that I've been pushing things through and keeping consistent.  A November goal of hitting 257 miles was set.  I'm a little behind but all is good.  For the next month, I need to do the following:

-  Stretch out the long runs.

-  Incorporate hills in runs as much as I can.

-  Build that weekly mileage to the next step.

-  Keep up with the weight and core routine.

-  Stretch frequently.

I know this is nothing crazy, fancy nor exciting for many but it's helping me through.  Happy running and Hapy T-day!

Crazy, fancy, exciting isn't how you build fitness.  You are so on the right track to getting back to where you were or even better.  Keep it up.

DoppleBock

I have failed to keep any of my committments for a long time in the Hurtlocker, so I have stopped making them.  So all I can say is I am registered for Boston, I am currently fat and out of shape.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

#artbydmcbride

I have failed to keep any of my committments for a long time in the Hurtlocker, so I have stopped making them.  So all I can say is I am registered for Boston, I am currently fat and out of shape.

Hey, me too!  Smile

Runners run

bhearn

Hi all -- I see many of the usual suspects here!

I'm in for Boston; this will be my 9th consecutive. I may or may not race it. If I don't PR at Tucson this weekend I probably will try to make Boston a goal race. However, I have Rocky Raccoon 100 in February, which will throw a big wrench into training.

I've always used Pfitzinger plans for goal marathons, but I'm considering trying a Hansons plan next time.

xhristopher

Hey, me too!  Smile

Ditto!

We should start a forum for fat out of shape people running Boston?

Feeling the growl again

Hi all -- I see many of the usual suspects here!

I'm in for Boston; this will be my 9th consecutive. I may or may not race it. If I don't PR at Tucson this weekend I probably will try to make Boston a goal race. However, I have Rocky Raccoon 100 in February, which will throw a big wrench into training.

I've always used Pfitzinger plans for goal marathons, but I'm considering trying a Hansons plan next time.

I am sure you will have another fine Boston either way.  If anybody has that course's number, it is you.

So are you going to modify Hanson's?  I know you had some reservations about the long run length.

I wish I were running it again this spring.  My relatives that lived conveniently close now moved, so that has made it more difficult than it has been the last couple times.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Yeah, I would be interested to see how you tweak it Bhearn. I've considered just tweaking Pfitz to do marathon pace on Thursdays instead of during the weekend long run. I was going to try it last time but was just having to many general issues with IT band/hip/hamstring.

We should start a forum for fat out of shape people running Boston?

You're already here- welcome.  We can all take notes from bhearn on how he's going to tweak his plan and follow in suit.  He obviously has the # dialed in on Boston.

xhristopher

You're already here- welcome.  We can all take notes from bhearn on how he's going to tweak his plan and follow in suit.  He obviously has the # dialed in on Boston.

I'm curious to see what he comes up with.

I have a self made up plan in my head but could a little more structure. I've followed (best I could schedule) the Pfitz plan twice in the past and am a believer in the value of MP long runs. I'll probably still want the 20 miler.

Last spring I averaged 40mpw (only hit three four 50 weeks) from Jan-May, while cautiously coming back from injury and 5 months off. I did no speed work and just focused on long runs and a logical progression of tune up races. My legs were always fresh and rested. That got me 3:09 while weighing 185.

This year I want to average  50+ (hitting 60 now and then), build upon my modest base from this year, run a weekly midweek workout (tempo or interval), keep the same long run and tune up race progression, and get my weight down as close to 170 as possible. Also, I've been racing monthly and think I've improved that skill.

So, key changes are bigger base, 10 more miles per week, mid week workout, and lower weight. The goal is to see if this makes me 10 minutes faster than last year.

#artbydmcbride

I'm curious to see what he comes up with.

So, key changes are bigger base, 10 more miles per week, mid week workout, and lower weight. The goal is to see if this makes me 10 minutes faster than last year.

This is already perfect!  I want to do the same.   I think I can get my weekly miles up to 55 to 60.   The mid week workout is my biggest goal.  I want intervals one day and at least an 8 to 10 mile Wednesday run tempo-ish  run

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

This is already perfect!  I want to do the same.   I think I can get my weekly miles up to 55 to 60.   The mid week workout is my biggest goal.  I want intervals one day and at least an 8 to 10 mile Wednesday run tempo-ish  run

When I got to train as I should not not work training around everything else, I can tell you what worked for me:

M - recovery

T - intervals

W - recovery

R - mid-week long run with tempo, 12-14 miles

F - recover

Sa - easy/moderate

Su - long run, often with integrated workout

Now as I get old, I would probably either a) skip the intervals every other week, or b) do the mid-week workout on Friday instead for more recovery after intervals.  Or some combo thereof as I can't recover as quickly anymore...especially from intervals.

The mid-long run with tempo work in it was, for me, far more important for success in the marathon than the long run.  Really.

kcam

When I got to train as I should not not work training around everything else, I can tell you what worked for me:

M - recovery

T - intervals

W - recovery

R - mid-week long run with tempo, 12-14 miles

F - recover

Sa - easy/moderate

Su - long run, often with integrated workout

Now as I get old, I would probably either a) skip the intervals every other week, or b) do the mid-week workout on Friday instead for more recovery after intervals.  Or some combo thereof as I can't recover as quickly anymore...especially from intervals.

The mid-long run with tempo work in it was, for me, far more important for success in the marathon than the long run.  Really.

Good points about managing recovery - it's at least as important as the quality work itself.  I would also mention that, if you're only interested in performing well at the marathon distance, the intervals don't need to be run at 5K pace or even close to 5K pace.  I know Spaniel didn't advocate any particular pacing or length on the intervals but I think most of us would try to run these too fast.  As I've gotten older, paces just on the 'harder' side of comfortably hard combined with short recovery jogs has seemed to strike the right balance of quality without overdoing it.  As well, the higher your fitness level it seems the recovery becomes easier (although it may just be because I'm not over-running my quality workouts).  3650 miles, or an honest attempt at it, will help.  Just some random thoughts on the aging marathon runner.