3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2014 (Read 69 times)

Goals?  I don't need no steenking goals.

I'm old, bitter, disillusioned and I just don't give a shit and I'm just gonna run this year.  It'll be the best year ever.

+ 2

actually I'll put some stuff down. My biggest goal is to nail down exactly what's up with me and get some sort of plan in place. Still looking like an autoimmune disease/s (myasthenia gravis is what the doctor is thinking and I have a blood test I need to get done as soon as I get new health insurance member id/numbers ) . I think the biggest challenge for me this year  will be to figure out how much I can do WITHOUT over doing it. I have to keep myself OUT of the hospital!  More than likely I'll be keeping running low key. It truly is the thing that tires me out the most. Nothing like needing a 3 hour nap after running 5 miles. Sooooooooooo far away from where I was just a couple years ago. I'll be focusing  a lot on strength training! I really believe that has been my saving grace.

2014 will be the year I get off the roller coaster and move on with life!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Had a big mileage year for me in 2013 with 3737 miles.  I will try and stick in the 3500 to 4000 mile range this year.  But I can't help feeling that improvement for me is more likely to come from getting stronger and improving technique than chucking loads of miles at it.

Goals for 2014:

<34 10k - this one is starting to bug me like sub 17 for 5k did for a couple of years.

<2:40 fall marathon

<1:15 half marathon

Get less shit at track!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

5min mile, 3hr marathon

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

5min mile, 3hr marathon

I was going to make some sarcastic comment about how these two are not congruent but after log-stalking, DAAAAAYAAAAM, 5:03?!!!  I'd blow off that marathon goal and concentrate on the sub-5 mile.  But, yeah, yeah I know - there's no money in the mile and the marathon is where all money is now and you gotta get yours while the gettin's good, I suppose.  Good luck on both, Perry!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks Ken!

I gotta admit, running is not really working as a revenue producer for me. The shoes alone make it a big loser....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks Ken!

I gotta admit, running is not really working as a revenue producer for me. The shoes alone make it a big loser....

Even when I WAS making some money running, I was also running more and was never quite able to equal shoe expenses...much less anything else.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Had a big mileage year for me in 2013 with 3737 miles.  I will try and stick in the 3500 to 4000 mile range this year.  But I can't help feeling that improvement for me is more likely to come from getting stronger and improving technique than chucking loads of miles at it.

Goals for 2014:

<34 10k - this one is starting to bug me like sub 17 for 5k did for a couple of years.

<2:40 fall marathon

<1:15 half marathon

Get less shit at track!

Where's the "like" button here?  Good set of goals and you are well on your way to getting achieving these.  Your training is there, you just need the right weather conditions on race day to be on your side.

Minus the 10k, this is about right where I'm at with what I want to hit for 2014.  Instead of the 10k, I'm still shooting for a sub-16 5k.  I'll be dipping my toes in the triathlon scene this summer, so we'll see how things come around.

Feeling the growl again

Man, have a dug myself a hole on that one.  But I'm still clawing at the walls.

I'm still shooting for a sub-16 5k. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Man, have a dug myself a hole on that one.  But I'm still clawing at the walls.

Heh, seems like everytime I start clawing my way back out of the hole, I slip and have to start over again.  Screwed up my left calf on a long run last weekend and it hasn't been the same yet.   I'm suppose to be racing a mile tomorrow...good grief.

I'm still shooting for a sub-16 5k.

I've thought about this one, but I think its a stretchier than stretch goal at this point - I'll enjoy watching you and spaniel vie for this one!

Good luck in the mile - if you don't have a track cough afterwards you haven't tried hard enough 

Good luck in the mile - if you don't have a track cough afterwards you haven't tried hard enough 

Thanks.  I was just going to post that I think I like morning races better.  Less time for the jittery nerves to act up.  T-minus 7.5 hours to race time.  Did a "little" workout on the treadmill last night to test out the calf.  I was happy it held up.  I've stretched, iced and massaged the damn thing all week, so I'm relieved it came around.  If it all goes well tonight, I just might have to lace 'em up for another track event next week.

As the year is quickly come to an end, it's been interesting going back through this and the racing threads to see how we all did.  Not many posted goals in here for 2014 but for those that did, it was a pretty good year.  Hats off to you!  Here are some results that I found in going through:

Goals and Progress:

C-R: Goals included 5k < 19, Marathon BQ, HM <1:25 and finish 1st ultra.  Results:  With C-R Jr keeping him on his toes, he had a pretty good year.  He nailed that BQ time in the Carmel Marathon and had fun with USATF XC racing in the fall.  Although he didn't get that 5k time of <19, he flirted with some solid XC 5k times including a 20:11 for a personal course PR and a 19:41 at the IN Masters XC Championship.

Milktruck: Goals: PR at 10 mi, 21:59 5k, 1:37:59 HM and marathon PR.  Results:  Came close in his February attempt at the 10 mi and just missed his PR by 27 seconds.  Nailed his 5k PR in May with a 21:41.  He ran seven HM's en route to chasing that HM PR.  Although he came up short, he still ran some solid races and had a year best of 1:41:22.  Not listed but he also nailed a 5 mi PR of 36:14.

Ntown Kevin: Goals: PR @ Boston, <1:20 HM, <16:30 5k, <27:30 5M, <47 8M.  Results: Overall Ntown had a solid year of running and racing.  Nailed PR's in the 5k, HM and Marathon.  The 5 mile PR would have been a breeze if it had not been for a winter wonderland type race.  He had an awesome showing at Boston and knocked nearly 5 minutes off his PR with a solid 2:53:42.  A month prior, he walked away with the Hurtlocker Beer award for his HM PR of 1:18:21.  After Boston, he recovered and kept a solid racing season going with his 5k PR coming in June (16:47) and a bonus of winning some cash.

Roth Runner: Goals: <34 10K, <2:40 Mar, <1:15 HM.  Results: Being one of the few people here that have managed to stay ahead of the pace bunny, he has not only gotten the miles in but has gotten in a lot of fast miles.  For such a fast guy that puts his fair share of track racing in throughout the season, I'm surprised he hasn't cracked the 5 min mile barrier.  With a 5:00.52, he was soo close.  I guess we need to get him and AmoresPerros together on a track and let them race each other to that mark.  In February, he put the hurt to a 10k and cracked that 34 barrier with a 33:58.  With the speed and the miles he puts in, that should transfer over to solid HM and Marathon times.  Unfortunately, he didn't crack the barriers he was hoping for but sure tried along the way.  He still ran a solid marathon in October putting down a 2:41:34.

So for those that put goals down, nice job and great progress towards those goals.  Here's a brief recap from the monthly racing threads:

Jan - Rothrunner brewed his first beer and knocked down a 16:22 5k.

Feb - GregC ran a solid 10 mi PR of 1:09:20.  KellyDodge ran a welcome back 5k in 21:36 and gave everyone a scare with his pacemaker.  Rothrunner continued the fast running and nailed his 10k with a 33:58.

Mar -  Racing really took off this month.  Ntown Kevin nailed his HM PR of 1:18:21 en route to 2nd place OA finish.

Apr - C-R nailed his marathon BQ and was suckered into the Blame Spaniel 5k series just coming off a marathon.  Milktruck put a solid effort in at one of his 7 HM's for the year with a 1:42:48.  Pcharrier ran 60 miles in 24 hours, of which I still can't comprehend what that means.  mstuart nailed his 5k PR of 19:59 ONE WEEK AFTER BOSTON!

May - Spaniel traveled to the Chicagoland area and decided to put a hurt to the young, inexperienced runners and WON the Chicagoland Marathon en route to solidfying a solid BQ time.  Milktruck ran a 5k PR of 21:41 and Kencamet cracked the sub-20 mark in a 5k with a 19:41.

June - The monthly racing scene was overtaken by the amazement of bhearn in the Western States 100.  He got his BUCKLE!  It's an amazing feat.  Ntown Kevin ran his way to a 5k PR of 16:47.

July - KellyDodge went sub-5 in the mile with a 4:58.2.  We don't need to know the elevation change here, it's still a sub-5 in the books!  Many others made their goals times: CR 24:19 for 4.5 vs a goal of 25:30.  Ileneforward 57:21 for 10k vs a goal 58.  Ntown Kevin 16:58 5k vs a goal of 17.  mstuart 19:13 5k vs goal of 20.

August - Quiet month around here but still saw a solid performance by milktruck with a 48:01 10k vs a goal of 49:00.

September - Ahh, this is when the fall weather starts to roll around.  Get that humidity out of here and let's get to some prime racing.  Spaniel took 1OA in the North Salem 10 with a 34:53.  C-R was chasing Spaniel's tail and came in 41:24 for 1AG.  Rockenmamaof5 got out there and nailed her HM PR with a 1:46:12.  Spaniel continued a solid month of racing with a (short?) HM effort of 1:13:23 and Joann Y came through with a BIG 5k PR of 23:15.

October - Still prime for racing with those crisp, cool temps.  Only nine fickle beasts lined up to race and only one came out under goal.  Congrats WhoDatRunner for a 5 mi PR of 41:59.

November - Let the XC championship racing begin.  There were some marathons (including Monkey), some Turkey Trots and everything else in between.  WhoDatRunner ran a 10k PR en route to running a HM.  CR tore up the XC racing scene with two solid performances.

December -  Not quite done yet....

Feeling the growl again

Nice review, thanks for putting that together.

I have mixed feelings on the year.  My big goal was a very solid fall marathon, but after a ton of travel and the coldest start I've ever done, my body just wasn't there for it.  But even compensating for the likely short course my September HM was >2min faster than I have run one since 2007.

I'll probably be just short of 3000 miles for the year after a slow start.  So I'm coming off the year faster than I have in quite awhile....Boston 2015 here we come.

C-R

Nice review Mike.

1 for 4 makes me an average second base guy who hits in the 7 or 8 slot.

I have one more shot at sub 19 next weekend. Hahahahaha. I do plan to run a 5k but who knows what mother nature will toss into the mix.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Nice review, thanks for putting that together.

+1. A good read - some overall great racing by the group.

Personally, wish I could have sustained the great first half of the year I had into the second, but I think I was just a bit overcooked.

And now I enter the age group purgatory year of 39...still hoping for some PR's in '15 though, before I become a running club's most prized asset in November...a decently fast 40 year old.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes