3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

DB the Hurtlocker Poser (Read 70 times)

Feeling the growl again

So, I wasn't going to, but those words did it. I left a msg for animal control.

Good for you.  Having been the kid on the bike back in the day and nearly needing new pants after a couple encounters...and having witnessed a near-attack on my daughter by loose dogs a few years back (only stopped because my avatar has the sprint speed I lack!)...this is what comes to my mind now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Luckily I was a tennis player and I used to ride my bike teh 18 miles into town all summer to play tennis with my friends ... a tennis racket to the nose is a great deterant.

Good for you.  Having been the kid on the bike back in the day and nearly needing new pants after a couple encounters...and having witnessed a near-attack on my daughter by loose dogs a few years back (only stopped because my avatar has the sprint speed I lack!)...this is what comes to my mind now.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I was lazy this morning and paid for it.  I did not hit the trail until 11 am.  The 1st section was a little mushy, but reasonable ~ 98% snow.  The second section was 50-50 snow and bare .. so that was OK.  But that 1st section had got so muchy by the time I got back to it, that it was like running in really slick mud ... but 40F+ and sunny for 3 of the hours ... priceless.

On a sidenote - The Frozen Otter 32/64 mile race started @ 10:00am heading away from me @ 7.5 miles up the trail.  There were a lot of people at the start as it has a 16 out and back then the other way a 16 mile out and back.  So I went over to chat with the colunteers / race director as they would not be seeing runner for another 4-5 hours.  They were the most unfriendly bunch of people I have ever seen at an ultra.

Nice job getting out there DB!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

It was good for the soul - Just like I knew it would be.  Now I am a poser for not running ourside at lunch in the sunny ... The rule is suppose to be if it is sunny and I am running at lunch to get some sun on my face.  I hate cold and it was -1F with a Wind Chill of -19F ... but sunny.

Nice job getting out there DB!!

Feeling the growl again

It was good for the soul - Just like I knew it would be.  Now I am a poser for not running ourside at lunch in the sunny ... The rule is suppose to be if it is sunny and I am running at lunch to get some sun on my face.  I hate cold and it was -1F with a Wind Chill of -19F ... but sunny.

Sunny would not stop your face from falling off.  Same here but I have no trees/hills to block the wind.  Off for my second treadmill run soon...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

kcam

Sheeit!  We've been on a 'cold' spell here in the Bay Area where it has gotten down into the 30's every, single night for what seems like an eternity.  I just need to think of -1F  with -19F WC to realize life's not so bad for me right now.

Feeling the growl again

Sheeit!  We've been on a 'cold' spell here in the Bay Area where it has gotten down into the 30's every, single night for what seems like an eternity.  I just need to think of -1F  with -19F WC to realize life's not so bad for me right now.

Apologies for off-topic, but it's good to learn you are in the Bay Area -- I didn't know.  I have family in the area and average a trip there every other year...so I'll remember to look you up.

Seanv2

I can't talk.  Now that I have a comfy treadmill setup outside tends to seem either too cold or too hot.  

Me too, I keep telling myself I'm going to get out in the cold, but then I succumb to the siren call of sportcenter and the treadmill.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Quick update: Animal control picked up the dog today and quarantined it for however long they're supposed to. It was up to date on its rabies and all other inoculations (which I kind of knew or I wreckon I'd already be dead or infected). The officer made a point of telling me it was the most well written report of a dog bite she'd ever read. I was so proud. It must have been the complete sentences and proper grammar. Anyway, case closed - stay safe out there.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Quick update: Animal control picked up the dog today and quarantined it for however long they're supposed to. It was up to date on its rabies and all other inoculations (which I kind of knew or I wreckon I'd already be dead or infected). The officer made a point of telling me it was the most well written report of a dog bite she'd ever read. I was so proud. It must have been the complete sentences and proper grammar. Anyway, case closed - stay safe out there.

Sounds like one owner who will learn a lesson.  I wish our Animal Control worked as well as yours.

lagwagon

Me too, I keep telling myself I'm going to get out in the cold, but then I succumb to the siren call of sportcenter and the treadmill.

a few runs outside this week.  snowing now, already an inch, so it'll be 11 on the treadmill tomorrow am.  no good hoops on rewind tomorrow, so I just re-subscribed to netflix (streaming).

its funny, treadmill sucks, and netflix sucks, but somehow they make each other suck much less.  the only open question is, will it be breaking bad or battlestar galactica tomorrow?

A tiny 4 miles late this afternoon in 24* and windy weather.  But on icy roads.  Our CEO walked around the building around 2PM today, kicking people out (his own words)!

I'm hoping the roads have enough traction by tomorrow for me to either run or drive to the office (to use the treadmill there).

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

Apologies for off-topic, but it's good to learn you are in the Bay Area -- I didn't know.  I have family in the area and average a trip there every other year...so I'll remember to look you up.

Please do.  That goes for any of you people, know a lot of cool places to run and tip a cold one afterwards!

bhearn

I am now in Portola Valley, BTW.