3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2013 Racing Thread (Read 278 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It was cold & blustery (by our standards) this morning, and I was thinking about excuses for missing my time goal. But really, this was the first race in the club series, and my real goal was to beat Dave, who I battle out the club series with, so temperatures and times didn't really matter to that anyway - insomuch as we're all suffering the same conditions.

I had a good stop at a gas station enroute, and I donated a roll of TP from my car to some people who found some extra port-o-potties at the race--intermission, while I go *right now* and replace that roll, so I again have that emergency supply (it's primarily so I have it when I direct races, but it is great to have been able to donate it this morning).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Most of the regulars and my AG competition was there. I waved Dave over, as I was in start position before he was. The race took off... and recapitulated the previous year. Dave led the first half, nearly powering away from me on the downhills, but I kept contact, and then moved into the lead in the second half, and opened up several seconds gap in the last mile.

One difference this year was that a girl I know was running, who is just about my speed or a bit faster. We chatted during the race, and she stayed with me to the end, and then outkicked me over the last crest into the chute.

We're both shooting sub-3 for next month's marathon, and I will be happy if I can stay with her and only get outkicked into the final of that.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

17:04, 2OA at Big Chili 5k this morning.

Roads were a bit of a mess (good stretches with about a two inch gray/brown slush), so feet were a bit soaked. Time trail too, as 1OA was 15:56 and 3rd was 19xx.

Ran with no watch, and there were no mile splits, and couldn't see the finish clock with the sun glare. So this was all feel. And the feeling was good. I will take this and then some. Got a little ceramic chili bowl for the effort.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

17:04, 2OA at Big Chili 5k this morning.

Roads were a bit of a mess (good stretches with about a two inch gray/brown slush), so feet were a bit soaked. Time trail too, as 1OA was 15:56 and 3rd was 19xx.

Ran with no watch, and there were no mile splits, and couldn't see the finish clock with the sun glare. So this was all feel. And the feeling was good. I will take this and then some. Got a little ceramic chili bowl for the effort.

Nice run!  It's hard to keep focused when you're out in no man's land like that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My very first walk "race" . I hadn't planned on doing this but I ended up walking the 5k  that my sun and husband ran  today. Time was 37:03 give or take a second or two. I'm actually contemplating doing it next time and trying to break the 36 minute mark. Maybe I should just forget running and work on speed walking lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

My very first walk "race" . I hadn't planned on doing this but I ended up walking the 5k  that my sun and husband ran  today. Time was 37:03 give or take a second or two. I'm actually contemplating doing it next time and trying to break the 36 minute mark. Maybe I should just forget running and work on speed walking lol

Walking 12 minute miles?

Damn girl, that's hauling...

It's good to see you out there, I hope you enjoyed it.  Your recovery speed is amazing.  How did the boy do?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Walking 12 minute miles?

Damn girl, that's hauling...

It's good to see you out there, I hope you enjoyed it.  Your recovery speed is amazing.  How did the boy do?

I enjoyed myself considering.  Rowing 30+ a week and walking 20+ a week is doing something I guess.   As far as Frankie? He crashed and burned. He had a time goal which was probably about around the best he could do for this course and he even had a plan however his shoe came untied going up the hill during the first mile. He stopped tied his shoe and then picked up the pace finishing his first mile under the time goal he had it. He never did get a good breathing rhythm after that and ended up with a side stitch for the last mile or so. He pushed through and finished in 29 and change. He said it was the hardest run he's ever done. Lesson's were learned and I have a feeling he's going to kick ass and pass the time goal next month.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

Nice. No moss on you.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

1:15:22 for me, knee held up, felt pretty good.  Ran quite a lot of this in a pack of about 8 - it felt weird, the little surges and movement of the pack made it feel very fluid - out with the wind and back against (14mph).  It was raining throughout and about 40 degrees but to be honest the conditions were ok.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Okay, spaniel.  Change #2.   Goal 50 laps / 85.65M  for a finishers medal.  Thanks.

Ha-ha.  Not quite.   24 hours, 43 laps, 73.66 miles.

I spent most of the time thinking that 24 hours is a long fucking time so just what the hell was I doing?

The day time weater was wonderful but it was much colder than the predicted mid 40's during the night.

I had to sit in my  car for 45 minutes trying to get warm just after 4:00am.

Queazy stomach from 6 to 24 hours.  Lots of Pepto taken.

It was nice to meet heather, sorry that it didn't work out for you.

And great to meet Buzzie and PerfesserR as well.  A couple of little speed demons they are.

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow!

steph  

bhearn

I spent most of the time thinking that 24 hours is a long fucking time

Yes it is. Great job.

kcam

1:15:22 for me, knee held up, felt pretty good.  Ran quite a lot of this in a pack of about 8 - it felt weird, the little surges and movement of the pack made it feel very fluid - out with the wind and back against (14mph).  It was raining throughout and about 40 degrees but to be honest the conditions were ok.

Previous PR was 1:18sumthing and you take close to 3 minutes off AT THAT LEVEL?!  I would say that qualifies as a breakthru race.  You are running at a new level.  Congratulations.

bhearn

Damn! That is awesome.

Feeling the growl again

Previous PR was 1:18sumthing and you take close to 3 minutes off AT THAT LEVEL?!  I would say that qualifies as a breakthru race.  You are running at a new level.  Congratulations.

So I'm not the only one to make that note.  Awesome race!