3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Looking for a place to brag (Read 64 times)

Ok, so I haven't posted here in a long time, except to enter my "maybe" for Spaniel's beer mile... but I have some news that's post-worthy.

My twin nephews are high school seniors, and they both PR'd tonight in a track meet.  One ran a 15:20 5k, the other a 4:33 mile.  I ran with them some when they were younger, so I probably had a lot to do with their running success. Haha! Dang, them boys can run.

Feeling the growl again

Tony!!!

And, WHOA....15:20!?!?  He's in DI recruiting territory.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Village people

That is cool. Good for them!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Awesome. Definitely brag worthy!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Just a dude.

Nice Grats to both of them!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Thanks folks! I talked to them both after the race, and Zac, who did the 4:33 is coming off an Achilles injury, so hopefully he has a lot more. Chase's 5k was a 25 sec PR.  That's pretty huge at that level.

They're both talking to a few colleges about scholarships and they seem to be leaning toward University of Kansas.  The kids are feeling a lot of pressure right now because they're literally running for college money, or could be.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks folks! I talked to them both after the race, and Zac, who did the 4:33 is coming off an Achilles injury, so hopefully he has a lot more. Chase's 5k was a 25 sec PR.  That's pretty huge at that level.

They're both talking to a few colleges about scholarships and they seem to be leaning toward University of Kansas.  The kids are feeling a lot of pressure right now because they're literally running for college money, or could be.

So the big point is to make sure they match up what college opportunity to take, with what direction they want their career to go.

Lots of college kids take the most shiny scholarship opportunity/best team they get offered.

Few go pro afterwards.

Most miss a good cheap route towards the best school for the degree they need/want.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

My twin nephews are high school seniors, and they both PR'd tonight in a track meet.  One ran a 15:20 5k, the other a 4:33 mile.  I ran with them some when they were younger, so I probably had a lot to do with their running success. Haha! Dang, them boys can run.

BOOM!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just a dude.

So the big point is to make sure they match up what college opportunity to take, with what direction they want their career to go.

Lots of college kids take the most shiny scholarship opportunity/best team they get offered.

Few go pro afterwards.

Most miss a good cheap route towards the best school for the degree they need/want.

I second that. Figure out what kind of training the colleges are doing. Make sure they can get along with the coach and like the team. Cross reference that with good offerings for the major they want. My biggest regret in running was going to the wrong college and feeling like I was never really wanted. I barely improved, and didn't enjoy my college running career much...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

That's awesome Tony.  I'm sure it's very exciting seeing their progress and for you to be a part of it.

I'll second and third what Spaniel and Kelly say.  I had the opportunities for scholarships at several D3 schools but passed them up as they didn't offer what I wanted from an educational stand-point.  As a result, I went to a D1 school (Iowa State) that had the strength in Engineering programs that I wanted.  I didn't think I would ever run for a D1 school but after my freshman year, I walked on and ran for the Cyclones the rest of the time I was there.  Had a great time with it and enjoyed the aspects of the training and team environment.  To compliment the degree, running instilled determination and many other transferable skills in life.

Good luck to them in their search.

Thanks for the advice. Chase ran a 9:23 2 mile a week ago I think it was.  Zac is struggling with an Achilles problem so hopefully he'll end up with a good season. It's a lot of pressure on him because his twin brother is running faster times right now.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for the advice. Chase ran a 9:23 2 mile a week ago I think it was.  Zac is struggling with an Achilles problem so hopefully he'll end up with a good season. It's a lot of pressure on him because his twin brother is running faster times right now.

Wow, that is smoking...just wow.

I was doing 200s the other day, and on the last one I decided to run fast since it was the last of 14.  I ran it in 35 seconds.. which is about the pace he ran for 2 miles. That just don't seem right.

Wow, that is smoking...just wow.

kcam

No doubt about it those boys are fast!  I raise my glass to the TonyP youngsters!

My nephews both decided to go to Texas A&M and run for them.  Seems like a good choice all around, even though they didn't get a scholarship.