3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April 2013 Racing Thread (Read 72 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

4/6 - WhoDatRunner - 500 Festival Training Series 15K - Indianapolis, IN - <1:17

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

4/13 -- CliveF -- Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k (Richmond VA) -- sub-40

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

4/20 -- spaniel -- Indiana 100 50-miler -- 6:20; finish, damnit.

Scratch.  This would be about the absolute dumbest thing I could do right now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Tough to do and accept but it's probably the right thing at this point.  How are things coming along?

Feeling the growl again

Tough to do and accept but it's probably the right thing at this point.  How are things coming along?

The gluteus medius or whatever that was the root of the pain is more or less OK...I can feel it, especially if I sit too long, but even running it no longer limits me.

Now that I force myself to run with correct form, it is blindingly obvious how weak this hip flexor is.  Here I was doing 20-30+ mile runs not all that long ago, and now all I can do is 6-7 every other day with good form before that left hip flexor is exhausted and starts to get sore.  So I am going to slowly build back up as quickly as its strengthening allows me to.  It will be a process but I still plan to run the Indy Mini in May with whatever fitness I have left.

I saw the chiro yesterday and have one last visit next week.  He claims he can see the improvement already.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Now that I force myself to run with correct form, it is blindingly obvious how weak this hip flexor is.  Here I was doing 20-30+ mile runs not all that long ago, and now all I can do is 6-7 every other day with good form before that left hip flexor is exhausted and starts to get sore.  So I am going to slowly build back up as quickly as its strengthening allows me to.  It will be a process ...

As you well know, recovery is an integral part of the training process.  We all seem to be driven in our various ways, so I'll state the obvious: you were having a GREAT training cycle, hit a big pothole, and now you've found a road back.  Make sure the car's alright before you stomp on the gas pedal again.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

Make sure the car's alright before you stomp on the gas pedal again.

This is such a hard thing. If only we had bodies that could be analyzed as easily as cars. Hmmm.... I'd like to call up a running analogue of Click and Clack: "well the left hamstring hurts, but only for the first half mile, or if I do speedwork. That's more on the upper, medial end. Oh, and if I sit too long, it gets really uncomfortable, but on the lower, lateral end."   "Oh, you need ultrasound and Graston on the semitendinosus, and extra strengthening and stretching on the adductor magnus."

Granted this is not unlike what we hear from PTs, chiropractors, massage therapists. But in my experience it's a wild guess as often as not, and deciding when an "issue" rises to the level of an "injury" is a very fuzzy thing. If I waited until I had no issues to stomp on the gas pedal again, I would never stomp on the gas pedal.

This article (Rethinking Running Health) said it well:

There isn't a fine line between health and injury: There is no line. We are all, at all times, on a continuum between being unable to walk to running freely without pain -- the closest we can come to being "injury-free" -- yet even then we're managing defects, weaknesses, imbalances, scar tissue and the stresses of the activity itself.

Feeling the growl again

Good thoughts, Clive and bhearn.

Yes, I am focused on building up again...the right way...getting that foundation of strength in the needed muscles before I hammer again.  I have written off all serious goals for the spring.  I just want to get back to where I can leverage what I did before it fades and carry it into a good fall season.

It is really hard to know when things are "right", which is why I ended up so bad off before I did something about it.  I've probably been building this injury for 2-3 years.  But now that I know what it is the path forward is pretty clear.

Done. Bummer. Sounds like you're getting a handle on it, though. It'll happen.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Kalsarikännit

4/27  Kings Mountain Marathon Clover, SC  Goal: sub-3:51

It is just a long run where I get to knock off another state, and in my experience races with "mountain" in their name tend not to have fast courses (exception: Green Mountain Marathon).  I will run it faster than my last Monkey jog.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xhristopher

Done. Bummer. Sounds like you're getting a handle on it, though. It'll happen.

Same thoughts here. I'm sure the scratch was the right thing to do and I'm sure you will be back at it sooner than you initially thought.

kcam

bhearn, that quote from the article is spot-on.  l know this to be true but I've never thought about it in quite that way.

spaniel - tough one.  Sounds like you're doing it right.

There isn't a fine line between health and injury: There is no line. We are all, at all times, on a continuum between being unable to walk to running freely without pain -- the closest we can come to being "injury-free" -- yet even then we're managing defects, weaknesses, imbalances, scar tissue and the stresses of the activity itself.

Thanks for sharing that piece bhearn, so true.  I far too often view the aches and pains signs of training and progress and as a result, just keep hammering away.  The time blurs along that continuum.

DNS for me.. No SacTown 10 on April 7th.

Pacing AR50 instead. The training has been a mess recently, so this seems a better option.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

4/6 - Double Oak Duathlon (Qualifier for Age Group World Championships in Ottawa, Canada in August) - 5k run/12.5mile bike/2.5k run - There are 17 in my AG and 5 are out of my reach. Last slot to make Team USA is 6th place and that's my goal.  It's a long shot and it'll take my best, but I have a chance.