3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Race thread (Read 25 times)

Name Date Race Location Distance Goal
    CliveF 8/22 Southern Biscuit Soldiers Reunion Newton NC 5km <22:30

May as well dip a toe again.

Let's hope I've improved my fitness a little since April.

DNS. The parenting schedule was changed recently, and the ex freelanced -- I wasn't kid-free FRI-into-SAT as expected/required.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

23:21 for me. (MTA: New course about 45s slower than old course)

Was a new course, so the pre-race plans / research went out the window.

New course was two 2-mile loops. First .25 up a slight hill. Next half mile pretty level. Last 0.25 (or so) up a gd mountain. Second mile is downhill to the start.

Got out easy enough, and tried to keep it controlled on the uphill. Hit the level section a little harder than I should have. And destroyed the downhill. After the first loop I was chasing two guys, about 50m and 60m ahead. Finally started gaining on them going up the mountain. Caught one about about the 3.5 mark for 5-10 seconds before he surged ahead. Finally reached the last 400m still chasing both guys by 20m. Dropped the adrenaline and crushed past one guy (actually heard him give up). Running the last 200m all out and step-for-step with the second guy. We must have gone back and forth 5-6 times. Finally, I ran out of room and he had the half step on me.

Just need to learn to run xc. I may have been fitter than both those guys.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

New course was two 2-mile loops. First .25 up a slight hill. Next half mile pretty level. Last 0.25 (or so) up a gd mountain. Second mile is downhill to the start.

Got out easy enough, and tried to keep it controlled on the uphill. Hit the level section a little harder than I should have. And destroyed the downhill. After the first loop I was chasing two guys, about 50m and 60m ahead. Finally started gaining on them going up the mountain. Caught one about about the 3.5 mark for 5-10 seconds before he surged ahead. Finally reached the last 400m still chasing both guys by 20m. Dropped the adrenaline and crushed past one guy (actually heard him give up). Running the last 200m all out and step-for-step with the second guy. We must have gone back and forth 5-6 times. Finally, I ran out of room and he had the half step on me.

Sounds like a great run to me!  Well done!

Yeah.. thanks. I was no 1608 (still.. really.. That was amazing).. but I was mixing it up with that type of runner. Felt good.

Whoa wait...you're challenging sub-16, and you're 42?

I've got zero excuses not to get my ass in gear, you've got 5 years on me...

You said it!

Good effort out there.  XC racing is the best.  It's not always about who has the best foot speed.

Finally reached the last 400m still chasing both guys by 20m. Dropped the adrenaline and crushed past one guy (actually heard him give up). 

Getting to hear the precise moment of capitulation is very fun. Nice work.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                kcam

Nice one Ben!  You ran pretty competitively in the Open division though you're almost a Jedi Master.  You beat some pretty good runners out there.  I bailed on the RFA because my attempt at a 2mile TT on Thursday told me all I needed to know about my fitness!  I didn't go to SC for the race cuz, well, I suck ass right now!

Santa Rosa?  I'm already reg'd and going up and I may camp up there the night before.  Gotta see if the boss will sign-off on that one.

23:21 for me....

Got out easy enough, ... destroyed the downhill.... Dropped the adrenaline and crushed past one guy (actually heard him give up).... Running the last 200m all out and step-for-step with the second guy. We must have gone back and forth 5-6 times. Finally, I ran out of room and he had the half step on me.

Great work! That must have been a really fun second half of the race.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Santa Rosa should be fun. Esp. if you have a team. Good Luck!

Santa Rosa?  I'm already reg'd and going up and I may camp up there the night before.  Gotta see if the boss will sign-off on that one.

kcam

Empire (Santa Rosa) was great!  First time I've run that one, I'll definitely go back again.  Very technical, lots of single track, strewn with rocks/boulders and steep downhills.  No blood spilled that I saw.  I ran OK and competed only OK.  There was only one guy for me to try to beat near the end and I actually passed him going down a super-steep rocky section with 1/2 mile to go and got about 3 or 4 strides on him but he came back and beat me by 2 seconds.  Props to him, dude was 61 Sad  Our 50's team probably won, maybe 2nd at worst.

Ben, seems like you guys (Golden Valley Harriers) had a team out there but they would have done better with you running for them.

haha. .Thanks Ken. Im not sure what happened to them. At least two of those guys are faster than me.

Im glad it went well for you. Next time you will get that guy. Just need a little better luck.

I'm going to try and get a permission slip for Garin Park in a few weeks.

kcam

I'll be at Garin but I must warn you that it's a boring course.  Pretty much all fire roads, exposed to the sun 100% and of course hilly.