3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Ultra Fueling (Read 269 times)

Kalsarikännit

#truestory

#gdmttrentthisisrunningahead

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Bit of a tangent here, but it might lead to info that isn't. As we know there are a ton of books/training plans etc. for marathons. Hansons, Pfitz, etc. etc. Since I too am diving more into the ultra pool next year I've done a bit of poking around for similar books relating specifically to ultras, without much luck. So, you more experienced types, know any good ones to recommend? Any that you've gotten useful stuff out of? Not necessarily so much for a training plan, though that would be good too.

Seconded. My ultra training is always pretty haphazard.

Kalsarikännit

Bit of a tangent here, but it might lead to info that isn't. As we know there are a ton of books/training plans etc. for marathons. Hansons, Pfitz, etc. etc. Since I too am diving more into the ultra pool next year I've done a bit of poking around for similar books relating specifically to ultras, without much luck. So, you more experienced types, know any good ones to recommend? Any that you've gotten useful stuff out of? Not necessarily so much for a training plan, though that would be good too.

I've only briefly flipped through it, but Byron Powell's Relentless Forward Progress is probably the closest to what you describe.

Here is the bad news... Just like here, any advice will be to try something out and if it doesn't work try something else. Ultrarunning is a lot of screwing up until you see what works, then once you find what works for a bunch of races, it will make you puke all over yourself and give you monster blisters at your next race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

RFP is the only book I'm aware of as well.  It's an ok read, but there's not much THERE there if you come at it from the Daniels/Hudson/Pfitz perspective.  The thing is, that's probably fine.

Weird side note... turns out the dude's name is Bryon.  I called him "Byron" for a long time.  Once to his face.  Ooops.

Huh. I wonder if it's too small a niche market to have an audience a publisher would consider big enough to publish for? Anyway, I just ordered RFP from Amazon. My fiance got a cool little monkey necklace out of the deal, too, since I needed to spend a little more to get free shipping. Everybody wins.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I have another ultra question though not fuel related.

I am fairly certain that I haven't run much more that marathon distance with out

adding walk breaks.

In training, at what distance do each of you incorporate walk breaks, if at all?

steph  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I almost never use walk breaks in training, and do them all the time in ultras, especially trail ultras, on inclines.

bhearn

Same here. Except that running trail 50ks is a big part of training for 100s, and I will often walk the uphills then.

xor

For me it depends on where I'm doing the training run.  And I may select a few training runs because of similarities to the race's course.  I never intentionally walk something I could run, but I do incorporate some nasty inclines/declines into summer training that I have to walk.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks once again!

steph  

I  never use walk breaks in training, and do them all the time in ultras, especially trail ultras, on inclines.

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I almost never use walk breaks in training, and do them all the time in ultras, especially trail ultras, on inclines.

+1

Me2.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Me2.

Some day I will learn fancy nested quoting.