3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Training thread (Read 63 times)

Yes.. I know.. Its terrible. Im not sure you are aware.. but rain is wet! Don't worry, the treadmills in my building should be back soon. Just for the record, I do run in the rain. It was more the wind that I am worried about. At least when I'm trying to run fast. Today its pretty still out there. Calm before the storm and all.

And we run because we like it
    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Hey!  I resent the intended meaning of that statement. 

C'mon, you know I had to cheese a bit for making a comment like that in the Hurtlocker.  Big grin

Once I had a treadmill in my house, I admit I started spending a lot less time running in nasty weather.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ha.  Haha. Hahahaha.  You Californians.  Wink

I wouldn't do anything Friday then, but you can do any sort of additional moderate workout on Saturday, assuming you typically take 2 days between workouts.  Heck I used to do my two hardest weekly workouts on Tuesday and Thursday, but then typically took 2 days recovery until another workout on Sunday.

It's all about recovery over a timespan.  You can get away with workouts closer together than normal as long as you catch up on recovery before you push it too far.

It's a little way, but the only thing I would have done to supplement the short tempo is to add recovery miles and strides to the session.  I agree in that you should keep it easy today (Friday) and look to do a workout on Saturday.

If you look at what Spaniel used to do, the only 2-day recovery was before the Sunday long run.  It was one day recovery between Sun, Tue and Thu workouts.  The pattern I've been trying to follow is similar.  Long run, recovery, Tempo, recovery, Economy, 2 day, VO2 max, 2 day, long run....

Yesterday I just finished my last planned long run for the Nov 23th race, but since my mileage was very low this year and not many long runs over 10 miles, wondering if I can squeeze in one more bigger workout.  Don't feel too much fatigue in the body requiring a 3 week taper.  Should I try for another 16-17 miler or a faster 12-13 miles (at what I think is my current HM pace) this coming weekend?

Feeling the growl again

Yesterday I just finished my last planned long run for the Nov 23th race, but since my mileage was very low this year and not many long runs over 10 miles, wondering if I can squeeze in one more bigger workout.  Don't feel too much fatigue in the body requiring a 3 week taper.  Should I try for another 16-17 miler or a faster 12-13 miles (at what I think is my current HM pace) this coming weekend?

Is 11/23 a marathon?  If so I'd probably opt for the longer run.  3 weeks is plenty of time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Yes none other than the monkey.

Was afraid the suggestion might be another long run Smile  Will see if can push a couple of miles in there just to get that out of my system

Yes, I'd go long instead of shorter and faster.  Time on feet will benefit you more at this point versus trying to do a tempo that might leave you completely wiped.

Feeling the growl again

Ah.  You're one of THOSE people.  Wink

Sorry I can't make it this year.

Yes, the hills can take a toll.  Run long and get tired, that will help a lot more than anything speed-related.

Yes none other than the monkey.

Was afraid the suggestion might be another long run Smile  Will see if can push a couple of miles in there just to get that out of my system

Everyone who tries the HIIT or other similar methods probably does not know what a 20 sec ultra intense followed by 10 sec recovery and repeat for 4 minutes (12 X 100), feels like to get the benefits from such workout. I once tried a 16 X 100/100 and it was intense, and I was taking about 30 second recoveries there and not running ultra intense .

MTA - My math sucks.

Feeling the growl again

I miss Nobby.

I did until I learned how he screwed Eric Smile out of a bunch of money by not paying him for work completed. 

Variations of that workout are pretty popular.  A college teammate who took his last year of eligibility to Va Tech in grad school to run a 31:19 10K said they did the track straights hard then eased off for the curves....but easing off was relative, about tempo pace.

I never did it on the track but I did a lot of fartleks where the "recoveries" were MP or better and kept the lactate elevated.

heh.. not cool.