3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pfitz vs Hanson vs vs Lydiard vs Daniels vs Canova (Read 353 times)

It's all so damn confusing and causing too much conflict on what to do.  Sure, there are a lot of good sound principles and approaches to each but each has their own unique twist. No wonder many hobby joggers like me just forget it and end up doing our thing.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Actually, I have trouble even figuring out a plan from just Daniels.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I heard Pfitz has a mean left hook, but Daniels punches below the belt. Still, my money is on Lydiard.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Daniels gives plenty of example plans in his book. I prefer Daniels because it seems to be the most conservative. Not as intense as McMillan, not as many miles as Lydiard. Everything in moderation.

Hawt and sexy

Interesting. Starting with Daniels' second Edition, Pfitz,, Daniels, and Lydiard are very close to the same. It's easier to point out the differences with those three. I don't know much about Canova, so someone give me a link on that one. Hanson needs to mention which book. I don't have the new one yet.

I am really good at comparing and contrasting this stuff.

I'm touching your pants.

Hawt and sexy

Daniels gives plenty of example plans in his book. I prefer Daniels because it seems to be the most conservative. Not as intense as McMillan, not as many miles as Lydiard. Everything in moderation.

Daniels was once the most aggressive, but that changed with the second edition. McMillian is another Lydiard follower.  Lydiard might be famous for 100 mile weeks, but it is not exactly what he put his cardiac patients/runners up to do. Lydiard coached everybody, but in his home country his fame comes from taking heart attack patients and getting them to run and try to live a healthy lifestyle in addition to the Olympic stuff. Lydiard followers would be Daniels, Bowerman, Mcmillan, and Pfitz.

I'm touching your pants.

I am really good at comparing and contrasting this stuff.

So is Bhearn.  He put a good comparison together between Pfitz and Hanson on the main boards.

I really never heard of Canova until recently.  I googled the name and did some reading on his stuff over the weekend.  I like much of the Lydiard stuff as well.  I'm a big proponent of hill work.  Had plenty of that when I lived in Iowa, now that I'm in the flatlands of Illinois, the best I can do for hills is the TM.

So much to fit in and consider...leg speed, hills, tempo, moderate distance runs, long runs, etc. etc. etc.  Why make it so complicated?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

C-R

Willa - let me just say your signature line is disturbing. It's probably been there for ever but hey I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I tried following Lydiard and I always read it as time intensive and mileage independent until you reached a certain level of performance. This helped me be able to use the periodization and not get stuck in trying to get to 100 miles (which is about as likely as me hitting the lotto right now).

I never really studied Pfitz or Daniels but there sure are plenty of people here that swear by both and have had success. They seemed to complicated and that's coming from an engineer.

I'm with mbehr on trying to keep it simple and Lydiard seemed best for that. Although having spaniel to help is a plus. I guess I need to sit and read through the others and listen to more of you all's comments.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Heh.  You should try being coached my McMillan directly.  That was an experience. Angry

It has been so long since I havstudied them all that I will leave it to bhearn and those who have studied more recently.  In the part I think I tried about everything and just kept th pieces that seemed to work best.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I tried following Lydiard and I always read it as time intensive and mileage independent until you reached a certain level of performance. This helped me be able to use the periodization and not get stuck in trying to get to 100 miles (which is about as likely as me hitting the lotto right now)....

I'm with mbehr on trying to keep it simple and Lydiard seemed best for that. Although having spaniel to help is a plus. I guess I need to sit and read through the others and listen to more of you all's comments.

You could always get a Running Wizard plan from Nobby ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

C-R

Interesting that you mention a running plan from Nobby. He was kind enough several years ago to run one for me based on the beta version of the program. I had to have spaniel help me to explain the reasoning behind each workout set (physio) and it seemed pretty good. 

With my schedule, following a rigid schedule becomes a chore that takes away from the fun of running for me. Perhaps I should give that a re-read and see if it can help.

My issue really fell to recovery. I can run two good workouts per week. Three leads to a FAIL for me. So it makes things pretty simple. Long run workout and something on Wed. Everything else is base or recovery miles. It's those two workouts though that need some focus for me. After this month of a decent base, I will get back to the two workouts per week routine.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

It's all so damn confusing and causing too much conflict on what to do.  Sure, there are a lot of good sound principles and approaches to each but each has their own unique twist. No wonder many hobby joggers like me just forget it and end up doing our thing.

I'll throw Brad Hudson into the mix just to add to the confusion. I think he does a good job of explaining how the pieces of his training process fit together. I'm not exactly sure how his approach stacks up against the others, but I'm able to build workout plans that are fun, challenging and productive, so I'm happy to stay with it.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Interesting. I need to start on an HM training plan after the first of the year for a goal HM in April. I was planning on using a Pfitz plan, but now I'm not sure. Guess I need to do some more reading.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Interesting. I need to start on an HM training plan after the first of the year for a goal HM in April. I was planning on using a Pfitz plan, but now I'm not sure. Guess I need to do some more reading.

Next April? I thought it was next Sunday. Sheesh.