3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2013 Goals Summarized (Read 617 times)

Hey, relatively new to RA, and just started checking out the User Groups today.  Ahh, this is where everyone hides!

OK, 3 goals for me:

sub 2:40 marathon (will try at Yakima River Canyon in early April, and then again at a TBD fall marathon)

sub 5:00 mile (gonna try racing some all comer track meets this summer)

3000 3650 miles running (this will likely be the toughest.  Hard to be that consistent for the whole year!)

Cheers!

Jason

Walk-Jogger

So is this where we come to get our three wishes granted??

I'm still trying to figure out my specific goals for the year, but for now, let's just use these:

1) I want to run a huge yearly mileage record for me of 2013 miles in 2013.

2) I want to push all my age-graded road race times as far over 80% as possible.

3) 12K goal race (Bloomsday) <47:00

MTA -  Extra Credit Goal: 

4) I've decided  this will be the year I surrender my marathon V-card. Aiming for a July race, and  <3:20. 

Done:   First marathon - 7-14-13,   3:08:34

Retired &  Loving It

J-L-C

I've given up on figuring out just what exactly is going on in the swamp. This place seems a bit less...mental. So I'll jump in, too.

My 2013 goals:

1) 5k <15:49

2) 10k <32:59

You know, seeing ...

Clive M < 3:00 5K < 19:00 10 K < 40:00

... makes me realize I'm either incredibly arrogant or only barely in touch with reality.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

It is January - So that is OK.

It is amazing what I believe in January I am capable of in August ...

You know, seeing ...

Clive M < 3:00 5K < 19:00 10 K < 40:00

... makes me realize I'm either incredibly arrogant or only barely in touch with reality.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I look my best blurry!

So good just to see all if your names again!  I know it's mid feb and I've been lost but I'm back.

My goals are:

1. I'm partially into 13 half marathons in 13 months.  I would like to finish in Sept with a Sub 1:30 PR

2. Boston- Would like to run a sub 3:20. I have had more stresses and injuries than I care to recount but everything is currently going well.  I'm optimistic.

3. Run healthy and run happy in 2013

bhearn

You can add me for M < 2:55, 100M < 20:00

Well 2013 is still young, but I don't think 100M < 20:00 is going to happen. That was supposed to be Rocky Raccoon, last month, but I ran just under 22. M < 2:55 was supposed to be Boston, but that won't happen either. Can't get over this hamstring thing.

There's a chance for both in the fall, marathon more likely than 100M. If I run another 100 this year it will probably be Cascade Crest, and no way will I run that under 20 hours.

Walk-Jogger

HappyFeets, I love your optimism about my potential 12K time, but I don't have a snowball's chance in heck of running <42. Brian Pilcher is the only one that can do that in the M55-59 age group. Bastart showed up at my race last year too, and took an A/G place away from me. Bastart. I'm shooting for <47:00 again.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Here are my top 3:

1)  >3300 miles for the year (that would be 10% more than any other previous year)

2) PR at any distance longer than 5K and shorter than the marathon

3) Sub 2:50 Marathon

I'm thinking that those are probably in order of importance.  For me to get to sub 2:50 I have to be able run a 10K/10mile/HM faster than I can now and to do that I'll need better general fitness via stringing together steady, higher volume weeks/months.  

Technically I hit goal #2 this morning with a 26-second PR in the 12K.  Previous PR was on the same course 3 years ago.  I want more though.  10miler coming in two weeks and I should be able to threaten that PR as long as I stay healthy.

4/7 - Bagged that 10mile PR!  Took it from 1:02:53 to 1:02:17.  Both courses were flat but the 1:02:53 was run on cold (~40deg), perfect day.  Today was a little warmer, though nothing to write home about, with a little breeze to mess with you at one point in the race.

Next up:  That darn 10K PR.  It's a stubborn one that doesn't want to go away.  I'll be running the same race & course as my current PR race.

I'd like to make mine a little more specific:

< 3:10 marathon

< 1:29 HM

Thought I'd chuck this in, just to have my progress in one place and for motivation/inspiration ...

CliveF's Path to Goal Achievement:

Dist. Event Notes Time Epilogue
                        5km GOAL   sub-19  
                        09MAR2013 A+B Corp. Cup Near-perfect weather. 19:32 Windy; long; bad first-mile pacing
                        04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Quick folks abound DNS Scheduling snafu
                        10MAY2013 TWAM Quick folks abound 20:48 Crappy first two miles, shuffled home
                        17MAY2013 Right Moves For Youth Quick folks abound DNS Worked late, missed evening start
                        25MAY2013 Bare Bones Fast course! 19:08.n Wish I'd been challenged late.
                        31MAY2013 Office Party Jus' practice, man DNS Worked late, missed evening start
                        07JUN2013 China Grove Fast/flat/quick peeps. 19:42 Ran the plan, didn't have legs for it.

10km GOAL   sub-40  
                        13APR2013 Ukrops Monument Ave.   42:01 I had to pee.  Bad.  Real bad.

Marathon GOAL   sub-3  
                        17NOV2013 [Philly or Richmond] RAWR! DNS G-g-groin injury.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

So, got the sub 17. Reckon I need to come up with a Goal 2 now...

I throw out sub 4:50 mile and sub 1:20 half. Why not.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

So, got the sub 17. Reckon I need to come up with a Goal 2 now...

I throw out sub 4:50 mile and sub 1:20 half. Why not.

I would say if you're in sub-17 shape, those two should be easy goals for you.  Just a quick look at McMillan, that 5k effort puts you at a 4:51 mile and a 1:18:10 half.  Go get 'er done!

Walk-Jogger

So is this where we come to get our three wishes granted??

I'm still trying to figure out my specific goals for the year, but for now, let's just use these:

1) I want to run a huge yearly mileage record for me of 2013 miles in 2013.

2) I want to push all my age-graded road race times as far over 80% as possible.

3) 12K goal race (Bloomsday) <47:00

MTA -  Extra Credit Goal: 

4) I've decided  this will be the year I surrender my marathon V-card. Aiming for a July race, and  <3:20. 

<sigh> Goal 3 is supposed to happen on May 5th, but the chances of it are now slipping away  as I recover from a tibial stress fracture, probably caused by long run training for goal 4...

Retired &  Loving It

I hit goal #1 with a 1:27:27.

Time to start working on the 5K.  First try is on May 15th.  Hope my legs are recovered from that stupid 50K by then.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek