3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Slo

After a full week or more of nothing but easy runs I was ready to do something but I have the Monkey this weekend.

This mornings run wasn't a hard workout but left me wanting more and was one of those good confidence boosters.

Just a 6 miler that started with a 1 mile warm up. Mile two was at Marathon Pace followed by a 1/2 mile recovery, Then did 1 mile at HM pace followed by 1/2 mile recovery with the last 1 mile at 10k pace with 1/2 mile recovery. The last 1/2 mile is on a 3% grade which I ran at HM pace.

Like I said, not a tough workout but one of those that has that little voice inside your head saying..."Damn, nice run!" at the end.

Prince of Fatness

No good workouts but I have gotten out the door and run the last 3 days after 12 days off due to the hurricane.  I feel a few extra pounds around my mid section .... definitely let things go for a while.  I am back in a routine this week finally.

My first run was up on the trails near home.  I did not get far ... many trees down and the trail was impassible.  Big trees.  I run around a reservoir and the section of trail downwind was hit extremely hard.  Seeing all of that damage confirmed to me how bad the storm was.  I won't be running there for the time being.

Not at it at all. 

C-R

That kind of suck Tater. Hopefully the clean-up crews can get to those trees in due course. Lots of firewood for next season.

I had an accidental good workout yesterday. Went to the gym for a double (upper body workout - good grief I am weak + run). Usually I keep the run to 4 or 5 but managed to talk myself into running another just to make six. Mind you this is an indoor track 8 laps per mile. Some youngster on his second mile happened to come up on my six at the start of mile 6 and pushed past. I decided to see if I could draft for a while. Well I guess he wanted to drop gramps and pushed the pace. Heh. We dropped a 6:30 on the last lap and gramps was still there. The look was priceless and the hard last mile was good. Damn I need to lose this weight.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

Sigh...this week has just about been a bust. Had a great run to start the week off, then the daycare cough demon showed back up. I'm still hoping to do my long run tomorrow, but that will only make for two actual workouts this week. Then again, if I get the run in, I'll still have over 30 for the week. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Ostrich runner

Sigh...this week has just about been a bust. Had a great run to start the week off, then the daycare cough demon showed back up. I'm still hoping to do my long run tomorrow, but that will only make for two actual workouts this week. Then again, if I get the run in, I'll still have over 30 for the week. 

Ended up managing 13 for the long run last Saturday, then quickly descended into full blown bronchitis. Hoping to be able to pump my lungs with enough albuterol to get a run in this week. 

Ostrich runner

Purdey

Self anointed title

I haven't had a good workout for a couple of years.  But this week I am at least jogging and doing circuits.  That's something.

I have a feeling you will  have many good workouts in the weeks and months to come, Purdey.

Workout?  I tried a couple of those when I was doing the mile challenge (which I never did).  I might try one again soon. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

#artbydmcbride

I did intervals at the track and my legs felt surprisingly strong!  Even the bleacher run up portions!   I blame the Monkey for wakening the muscles in my butt.   Smile

Runners run

Nice.  Enjoy those butt muscles!  Long may they (and the good running) continue.

I need to take control and do something with my running soon.  It's easy to think about, but then I wuss out when I try and commit to anything other than going out the door and seeing what happens (but following a general pattern that includes slower, not so slow to steady...with faster finish, and long)

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

I need to take control and do something with my running soon.  It's easy to think about, but then I wuss out when I try and commit to anything other than going out the door and seeing what happens (but following a general pattern that includes slower, not so slow to steady...with faster finish, and long)

So commit to something, get your shit together and execute, or next time I am in the UK we are going to sit and work on that scotch stash until it is gone or one of us drops.  Since I've got about 30-40 lbs and a second liver on you, I suggest that running is the easy way out.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Whatever I do with running, if you come over here, we will drink Whisky.  I will lose, I will probably DNF (and lose as a result of that), but I may as well try.

Commit, shit together, execute.  Yep.  I know.  It's easy in words, and not sure why I find it a struggle in reality.  After all, I run, I force myself up most days and get out that door, I run long runs, I even run some tempo-ish style runs, but I don't do it with purpose or with sensible training...so why not make the runs have a more obvious goal and allow some to have a set purpose (which, by default would make all have a purpose).  I actually need to think of some goals that I might stick to (and are realisitic...ie however much I like the idea of coming over to your side of the Atlantic and running a race, it's hard to fulfil due to finances and holiday time).  My inability to turn up at a race might also be an issue for anything here or overseas.  Broken record.  Not hurtlocker.

xhristopher

10K at HM pace for me today. I think a couple of these workouts will be helpful for my goal HM in January. Got it done just fine but was mentally tough going in considering it meant running a solo sub 40 10K. That's a quicker jog than I'm used to doing.

Feeling the growl again

Whatever I do with running, if you come over here, we will drink Whisky.  I will lose, I will probably DNF (and lose as a result of that), but I may as well try.

Commit, shit together, execute.  Yep.  I know.  It's easy in words, and not sure why I find it a struggle in reality.  After all, I run, I force myself up most days and get out that door, I run long runs, I even run some tempo-ish style runs, but I don't do it with purpose or with sensible training...so why not make the runs have a more obvious goal and allow some to have a set purpose (which, by default would make all have a purpose).  I actually need to think of some goals that I might stick to (and are realisitic...ie however much I like the idea of coming over to your side of the Atlantic and running a race, it's hard to fulfil due to finances and holiday time).  My inability to turn up at a race might also be an issue for anything here or overseas.  Broken record.  Not hurtlocker.

Well, since I have no idea the next time I will get over there will be (was just in Dublin a couple weeks ago though), I'm not waiting.  My wonderful wife asked if I needed anything from the store and I said no, and she comes home with a bottle of The Glenlivet.  Sipping now.

You need to find a goal before we all here get creative for you....  Smile

If you can commit to a hypothesis and pursue it through months of invisible biochemical reactions in clear tubes before realizing achievement after the data is analyzed, I think you can figure out something in running that you can hypothesize as achievable, then blindly focus on training for a few months before seeing the results.  It's really not that different. 

Except for the whole part about hurting worse.  Then of course I found the mental torture of research much worse than that of running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I ran up a mountain in Maui.  I ran up, then up some more, than up some more.  Turned around and taught my quads a lesson.  It was single track.  Now I am back home in Illinois.  Sigh.