3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Boston 2013 (Read 601 times)

It's been long enough since April to get it out of my mind on how hot it was there this year.  I have no desire to run marathons in that kind of weather and I even told myself that for the next marathon I would keep it to smaller events where I could switch out last minute if the weather sucked.  Well, I threw that out the window and am committing myself to Boston 2013.

Why am I putting it here?  First for travel arrangement reasons...I've never been out to Boston and know relatively little about it.  So any feedback or advice from you "experienced" runners would be appreciated.  Thoughts on where to stay, how far in advance to book, or any other helpful tips would be good.  Please help...

Second, I hope to use this post for motivation and tracking of progress once training resumes.  I need to figure out this nagging thing with my right leg that has been there since March.  Once that clears up, I hope to get some good training in and some decent racing efforts in the fall with a key race being a 1/2 marathon in September.

Feedback and any general "motivational" efforts from the Hurtlocker are welcome as always.  Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

That's awesome.  No better time to start training for Boston 2013 than tomorrow.  Except yesterday would have been better.

As for where to stay and when to book, I am not much help other than to say if you get a hotel book ASAP.  Where, I'd say close-ish to the finish and take the bus to the start.  It's a bigger PIA to take transport out after the finish than to catch the bus the morning of.  I have never found the bus ride all that inconvenient.

I've always stayed with friends/family so I'm no help with hotels.  Last two times were family in Cambridge...walk to Crossroads for beer after the finish and rest the legs, then walk the rest of the way after.  No problem.  Crew me for the ultra in October and perhaps I can hook you up.  Wink

Other than that, standard marathon training except it would be swell to find somewhere you can pound the snot out of your quads with significant downhill running 2X per month or so.  I mean, really abuse them.  It will help.  Trust me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

I'm with spaniel on the stay location. I stayed at the Sheraton about 5 blocks from the finish line and was glad I did. It was pricey (even with my friends employee rate) so check Hotwire or Priceline for one's around there. I would say anything within a 10 block radius (1 mile) is good. I would book now if you know you are going. 

The bus ride was ok but one thing I noticed is that the later you wait to catch the bus, the longer the lines. I got there right at my "designated" time and had to wait 20 minutes but the lines behind me were huge. If you do catch an earlier ride I would bring an inflatable pool raft and a toss away blanket. Plenty of places in the village to catch some sleep and stay off your feet (assuming no rain). Also getting to the village early might get you a spot under the tents.

I've got nothing on training. I'm old, slow and getting fatter by the day. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I've got no suggestions on Boston.

Just popped in to say that I ran Stockwell Ln this morning and your old HS Coach says HI. He also says to eat two cans of pineapple two days out from your marathon.

I've got no suggestions on Boston.

Just popped in to say that I ran Stockwell Ln this morning and your old HS Coach says HI. He also says to eat two cans of pineapple two days out from your marathon.

Now that's a random piece of advice.

How's Coach D?  Where did you run into him at?

Feeling the growl again

Oh...almost forgot an important point...make sure you are within staggering distance of Crossroads Pub.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Slo

Now that's a random piece of advice.

How's Coach D?  Where did you run into him at?

Fulton Dutch days the week before I ran went to Green Bay.

He was serious about the Pineapple...cleans you out real well. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't touch the stuff the day before!

Really? Those of us who ran it this year aren't over it....did you have to remind us? Wink

I would book a hotel by this fall. We stayed in the back bay this year and loved it. Lots of places to go to within walking distance (restaurants etc), and a quick walk from the finish line. Pretty quick acess to the trails by the river for the pre-race runs. I stayed close to MIT the first time I went out and didn't like it.

Really? Those of us who ran it this year aren't over it....did you have to remind us? Wink

We stayed in the back bay this year and loved it.

I thought I waited long enough before I sent something out, but I guess not.

Where in back bay did you stay?  I know there's a Sheraton in the area.  Oh and for what Spaniel's said, looks like Crossroads is nearby the back bay area.  That's a +.

I think the amount of time I trained for the stupid race has to go by before I forget about the stupid race. Or something like that.

The Park Plaza is where we stayed. If you're going to Crossroads post race it does take a little bit of time to get there in a cab (assuming you don't want to walk) just because of all the rerouting of streets and such.

Feeling the growl again

I think the amount of time I trained for the stupid race has to go by before I forget about the stupid race. Or something like that.

The Park Plaza is where we stayed. If you're going to Crossroads post race it does take a little bit of time to get there in a cab (assuming you don't want to walk) just because of all the rerouting of streets and such.

I walked. Unless your legs are completely thrashed or it is some silly 90 degree day it is walkable.

DoppleBock

Interesting - My sister finally ran her BQ.  3:48 and she needed 3:55 minutes.  I think she will be vigilant at signing up the second she is allowed.

I am conflicted - Part of me never wanted to run another Boston Marathon.  Part of me thinks it would be a great vacation for my wife and I to hang out with her and her boyfriend.  My wife wants to go to Boston pretty badly.

I guess I have a few months to think through it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

First week of entry is under way.  Got signed up on Monday and received the confirmation email on Tuesday.  Hotel was booked about two months ago.  We chose the Revere Hotel.  Other than air fare, the only thing I need to do is START running.

Ramp-up time has begun!  I've got a run streak of 32 days going and now it's a habit.  I'm starting to feel like a real runner again.

Let's see...the last four week I've been able to manage >50 mpw.  I'm at 236 miles for the last 30 days.  Last time I was there was in February.  I still have a slight hope of actually making this year a worthwhile running year.  2000 miles are in reach.  I'm going to have to work for it in the last two months though.

As far as Boston goes, I've got 5 months and 3 weeks to train my a$$ off.  The left achilles is about 95% there.  I'm ramping up my mileage and long runs.  I'm still not planning any sort of fast stuff yet and am going to keep with my hill workouts in the time being.  I'd like to be doing those twice a week with a longer run on the weekends.

I'm itching for a race as I'd like a fitness check but am a little gun shy at this point.  We'll see if I can find something in early November.

Happy running all!

Ramp-up time has begun!  I've got a run streak of 32 days going and now it's a habit.  I'm starting to feel like a real runner again.

Let's see...the last four week I've been able to manage >50 mpw.  I'm at 236 miles for the last 30 days.  Last time I was there was in February.  I still have a slight hope of actually making this year a worthwhile running year.  2000 miles are in reach.  I'm going to have to work for it in the last two months though.

As far as Boston goes, I've got 5 months and 3 weeks to train my a$$ off.  The left achilles is about 95% there.  I'm ramping up my mileage and long runs.  I'm still not planning any sort of fast stuff yet and am going to keep with my hill workouts in the time being.  I'd like to be doing those twice a week with a longer run on the weekends.

I'm itching for a race as I'd like a fitness check but am a little gun shy at this point.  We'll see if I can find something in early November.

Happy running all!

Mike this is really exciting.

I hesitate to put my two cents in, but you've stated two time frames (2000 miles for 2012) and five months to Boston. I would say to focus on the second and not worry about cramming in 2000 miles for the year and risk you progress on the achilles.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus