3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

November / December 2012 Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1074 times)

C-R

{{{{hurtlocker chubbsters}}}}   

Daaayuuumm!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

162 this morning.  I have no official December goal, but I have found out that running 80 - 90 miles a week does not make me lose weight, which is stupid.

If I don't gain weight this month, I will be happy.

On the plus side, a HM on New Year's day means I will pay for it IMMEDIATELY if I splurge too much on New Year's Eve.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

kcam

My big ass is up to 178... actually DOWN to 178 from a high of about 183.  I was 186 with clothes and shoes the other day, so that's a PR for me. I should probably try to get down to 175.

In my running club we have a lot of older runners (70+ guys) who were pretty fast in their day.  Every Saturday we run a 'workout' that's really a free race in the neighborhoods around the track where we meet.  There are several 'set' courses that they rotate through.  These older guys crack me up with their attitudes - they keep track of their worst performances on a particular course.  When they run the slowest ever on a course they tout it on the club newsletter as a PW.  "Joe Blow ran a PW on the Valley Vista course on Saturday." or "Joe Blow was vying for a PW on Valle Vista Saturday but missed it by a mere 7 seconds."  With the younger guys and gals out there as well the full cycle of the running life is on display, really a thing of beauty.   I hope to set some PW's out there one day.

Tony - I think that 186 qualifies as a PW, not a PR!  You're not ready for PWs yet, get crackin' man!

I didn't weigh-in last week on purpose.  I was ravenous after the marathon, and still am to some degree.  I will weigh myself again tomorrow morning for week 7, hopefully it's not too bad (pretty sure it won't be a PW as my PW is 185 from about 4 or 5 years ago).

Feeling the growl again

I have found out that running 80 - 90 miles a week does not make me lose weight, which is stupid.

Yeah, me too. It blows.  I hate it when peopletell me I must have to eat all the time with how much I run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yeah, me too. It blows.  I hate it when peopletell me I must have to eat all the time with how much I run.

What are you guys eating? Chunks of lard?

Feeling the growl again

Nothing to do with what I eat.

Until I took myself off of it recently, I was on thyroid medication for ~18 months.

My normal body temp was ~98.6 in my early 20s.  It is now 95-96.

It is 69 degrees in my house; I am sitting here in a T-shirt, a long sleeve T, and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up.  I am still cold.

But yes, a few less beers per week would also help.

Wait a few more years, and I am sure you will notice your metabolism start to do some unpleasant tricks to you too.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slightly off topic, but a few months ago I was blog stalking one of the local WI competitive ultra runners Zach Bitter (5:26 for 50 miles).  He is on sponsored by  Vespa and had been increasing his fat intake since early spring.  Anyway, the last blog I read a few months ago, he had basically been eating mostly high fat red meats, bacon, and high fat dairy products with some carbs mixed in running 130 mile weeks.  His cholesterol was supposedly the lowest ever.  Then again, he only ran 40 some seconds faster at JFK last weekend than Ice Age which is a significantly harder course.  

Not sure what my point here is other than eating lots of red meat and drinking beer is psychologically rewarding Big grin

Lard fried in bacon grease, covered in beer batter, dipped in chocolate.

In seriousness, I could probably cut out the beer calories (but this time of year, with all the winter darks, I don't want to).  I eat things like a bowl of Cheerios and a banana for breakfast.  

I have people at work tell me "It must be nice to be able to eat whatever you want!"  They say this when I'm eating a healthy lunch and they have fried food.  They have also completely forgotten that I was pretty fat two years ago.  

Metabolically, my little sister is my polar opposite.  She struggles to keep her weight above 100 lbs.  I more or less hate her for it. :-P

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                  Emil Zatopek

*Snort* If this is not motivation, I don't know what is.
                    C-R

Wait a few more years, and I am sure you will notice your metabolism start to do some unpleasant tricks to you too.  Smile

Things get really interesting after 45. I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust.

If I do figure it out, I'm not telling.

Oh and get off my lawn!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

try starting menopause!   Get the hell off of MY lawn!!  Angry

Runners run

kcam

W6 - 149.0  

MTA:  Ouch, Ilene.  But at least you get to be warm at random times during the day!  My wife - "it's hot!",  5 minutes later - "it's cold!" rinse, repeat!

123.8 Surgery helped weight loss

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Nothing to do with what I eat.

Until I took myself off of it recently, I was on thyroid medication for ~18 months.

My normal body temp was ~98.6 in my early 20s.  It is now 95-96.

It is 69 degrees in my house; I am sitting here in a T-shirt, a long sleeve T, and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood up.  I am still cold.

But yes, a few less beers per week would also help.

my body temp is low as well and we keep the temp in house at 72 and I'm usually still covered up

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Slightly off topic, but a few months ago I was blog stalking one of the local WI competitive ultra runners Zach Bitter (5:26 for 50 miles).  He is on sponsored by  Vespa and had been increasing his fat intake since early spring.  Anyway, the last blog I read a few months ago, he had basically been eating mostly high fat red meats, bacon, and high fat dairy products with some carbs mixed in running 130 mile weeks.  His cholesterol was supposedly the lowest ever.  Then again, he only ran 40 some seconds faster at JFK last weekend than Ice Age which is a significantly harder course.  

Not sure what my point here is other than eating lots of red meat and drinking beer is psychologically rewarding Big grin

I bet this dude dies at an early age.