3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Now that's the way to do it! Nice run.

My body had forgotten what real hill work felt like.

Holy Shit.

Been starting to trickle some things in the running.  Did a 4-mile tempo last night and was happy to see how a 5:37-5:38 average pace felt.  I can tell the difference (in a good way) what lifting has done over the last 7-8 weeks.  Did this at about 8 pm last night with several layers on and in the trainers.  I'll take that as a good sign to where things are at.

I can tell the difference (in a good way) what lifting has done over the last 7-8 weeks.

Can you explain this a bit more? 

Any areas you are focusing on? Does running just feel easier?

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

Slo

Been starting to trickle some things in the running.  Did a 4-mile tempo last night and was happy to see how a 5:37-5:38 average pace felt.  I can tell the difference (in a good way) what lifting has done over the last 7-8 weeks.  Did this at about 8 pm last night with several layers on and in the trainers.  I'll take that as a good sign to where things are at.

I would love to know what it feels like to to run a 5:38 pace for 4 miles.

Feeling the growl again

I thought you said you were out of shape??

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I would love to know what it feels like to to run a 5:38 pace for 4 miles.

I would love to know what it feels like for even 100 meters.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I would love to know what it feels like for even 100 meters.

Me too!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Can you explain this a bit more? 

Any areas you are focusing on? Does running just feel easier?

Most of the weight sessions I've been doing have been total body.  If I were to pick a couple areas I've been focusing on, I would say core, shoulders and lats.

There are a few little areas I can feel difference while running but most of it is in form and posture.  One thing I notice that when I try to push the pace, two things happen.  One, I'll overstride and two, my upper body (shoulders) tend to start leaning back.  In the case of last night, leg turnover felt good and the posture was staying in line as a result of a stronger mid-section.  Help at all?

The Winter of Clive began Monday, with a plyometrics session.  Felt not too bad, so I did all three sets of the five exercises/drills/stupid-looking movements.  Come Tuesday morning ... OMG!  My hip flexors and calves!  I'm walking even more like an old man than usual.  It's Wednesday evening, and I'm still stiff/sore.

Plyometrics' options:

1. Kill me.

2. Make me stronger.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Last night got on the treadmill to do 4x6 minute sets at 10K pace, which I'm pegging at 6:22 right now, with three minute recoveries at 9:00 pace, plus a couple of extra miles on either side.

There's something to be said for using a treadmill to do these. I was able to crank up some music and completely zone out during the speed segments -- I won't do either of those things outside because I enjoy not dying. You know that zone where a workout feels exactly as hard as it should be, no more and no less? That was this. I love that feeling.

I thought you said you were out of shape??

Apparently consistent running helps. Who knew... And Clive, plyo work is great. I've been sprinkling some of that in too. No hard core sessions. I do believe that Nobby posted at one time, plyo work is a good substitute to hill work in the winter time.
                        C-R

How in the hell do you people make time for anything other than running. I need the miles but I need to add weights or other stuff and can't find the minutes.

I'm open for any advice.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

How in the hell do you people make time for anything other than running. I need the miles but I need to add weights or other stuff and can't find the minutes.

I'm open for any advice.

I can't help much. We don't have kids, and I work from home. That obviously makes it easier.

Feeling the growl again

I'm open for any advice.

When you figure it out, let me know.  You could adopt the Lord of the Flies parenting methodology, but something tell me that's not you.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

I'm open for any advice.

Finding time is tough because I'm not a morning runner. I've run over a quarter of my yearly miles commuting, all with a backpack. I set up my day where at the end of it I've got a minimum of 2.5 miles to cover on foot if I want to get home. Often I'm not in the mood but the basic urge to get home is always greater. Once under way, it's easier to add a couple miles and my commute time is only marginally longer due to traffic. I don't think this is an option or interesting to many but it's where I make time when I don't have it.