3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Screw the corrals (Read 249 times)

So I get my bib # information with corral seeding this morning and I notice that I'm in....(gulp)...CORRAL C.  I saw this after my shitty tempo run this morning which made my morning even more shitty.  The website doesn't have any info on corral information.  So my pea-brain engineering mind puts the logic together and tells me that C is still after A and B.  I hope that is not the case.  I have already sent and email and may be visting the solution desk at the expo.  I don't want to get stuck behind a sea of people otherwise I can throw my PR attempt out the window.  The humidity already has me concerned enough.

C-R

Damn. If you're in C with a 1:15 goal that is either one tough damn field or one srewed up race system.

Sounds like you need to jump corrals no matter what.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

This happened to me at Twin Cities Marathon in 2004.  I drove up to expo - paid $10 to park - got in - got out and got home.  I looked at I was inthe 4 hour plus group ... I then repeated the process including the $10, but did get it fixed.

I hope yours gets fixed also

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

What was the process used to assign runners to corrals?

I would take any recent published race results you have with you so you can point out to them the danger of forcing a legitimate 1:15 guy to bob and weave through a sea of slower runners.  If they arranged the corrals by pace, and they have a clue, they should bump you up.  But having the proof of your ability in hand may make the difference.  I hope you get this fixed.

If you don't, don't get too disheartened.  As long as it's chip time you care about, it may not hurt you that badly.  My second-fastest marathon (2:29:27) was at Chicago and I messed up and could not get into my corral.  I was with the 3:30-45 pace people when the gun went off.  I got some upset yells as I went through, but in the end I actually went TOO FAST the first 6 miles.  So even in very congested races you are not necessarily out a lot....depending on width of roads etc though.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

A 1:15 runner in corral C?  That's got to be a mistake that should be easily fixed.  I agree with Spaniel that your real danger in starting in corral C might be in panicking and running too fast early (personal experience).  For sure in a marathon I don't believe it would hurt you much if at all but in a half there isn't as much room for going out easy for a few miles.   I would be really surprised if you can't get it straightened out.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I would take any recent published race results you have with you so you can point out to them the danger of forcing a legitimate 1:15 guy to bob and weave through a sea of slower runners.  If they arranged the corrals by pace, and they have a clue, they should bump you up.  But having the proof of your ability in hand may make the difference.  I hope you get this fixed.

If you don't, don't get too disheartened.  As long as it's chip time you care about, it may not hurt you that badly.  

Yes what spaniel said.  Good luck with it.

steph  

What was the process used to assign runners to corrals?

I'm trying to get more info.  They have zero info on their website on corral seeding.  Surprising for an event with 20,000+ participants.  I already sent in a question regarding that, so hopefully I'll hear something about it.  I did a google search and came across a website that had runner reviews from last year's event.  There wasn't much info about corrals other than one guy had an "AA" corral assignment.  That obvisouly didn't exist.  There was one statement about Corral C being behind the elites.  ???  It didn't make sense to me.

Oh, and technically I'm not a "1:15 guy"...................yet.  It's my goal and I hope to beat it.  All indications show that I should be able to do that.

Feeling the growl again

Oh, and technically I'm not a "1:15 guy"...................yet.  It's my goal and I hope to beat it.  All indications show that I should be able to do that.

Perhaps not technically, but even if you have a 16:XX 5K or a 35:XX 10K to show them within the past 2 years, there can't be enough faster people in the race to justify not putting you in the first corral.

The Indy Mini is supposedly the largest HM in the country, and a sub-1:15 gets you in the ELITE corral with free entry.  You could jog what it takes to get in the first corral behind that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

Some places have an A and B elite group - Maybe C is right ... I doubt it.

#artbydmcbride

It looks like they have an application form to be in the elite corral that had to sent in November.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

Some places have an A and B elite group - Maybe C is right ... I doubt it.

It could be...Corral A is wheelchair, Corral B is Elite women,..Corral C is elite Men...

Runners run

an amazing likeness

The Indy Mini is supposedly the largest HM in the country, and a sub-1:15 gets you in the ELITE corral with free entry.  You could jog what it takes to get in the first corral behind that.

Nice...I was pretty darn pleased with myself for being seeded in the D corral at Indy Mini 2011.  So much for that, sigh. (insert sound of balloon deflating here...)   Cry

[totally kidding. not about the corral though, it was nice and spacious up there]

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Nice...I was pretty darn pleased with myself for being seeded in the D corral at Indy Mini 2011.  So much for that, sigh. (insert sound of balloon deflating here...)   Cry

[totally kidding. not about the corral though, it was nice and spacious up there]

They don't list corrals on the website, but you get preferred entry starting with a 2:30 half marathon and the most restrictive non-elite cutoff is 1:30...so I'm sure you were still pretty far up there.

DoppleBock

Funny - I would love to be seeded in the Double D coral ... specially nice to keep warm on a cold day.

an amazing likeness

So I get my bib # information with corral seeding this morning and I notice that I'm in....(gulp)...CORRAL C.  I saw this after my shitty tempo run this morning which made my morning even more shitty.  The website doesn't have any info on corral information.  So my pea-brain engineering mind puts the logic together and tells me that C is still after A and B.  I hope that is not the case.  I have already sent and email and may be visting the solution desk at the expo.  I don't want to get stuck behind a sea of people otherwise I can throw my PR attempt out the window.  The humidity already has me concerned enough.

Took a while for it to click in my pea-sized brain that you were thinking C was back in the masses.  I figure all you Indy vets know all this, but I had some time on a conference call, and here's how it was in 2011.  Corral C was right on top of the start.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.