3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The "Not Another Scary Hamster Wheel Thread" Thread (Read 31 times)

I came into possession of a NordicTrack Professional Series 3500 about a month back. Its previous owner had it for ~3 years, with irregular use. Other than its motor tripping circuit breakers (15-amps, baby!), he had no problems with it. I got the thing to my place, and it sits proudly in my garage, waiting to assist me in the pursuit of godlike fitness.

Except ... the control panel doesn't seem to respond to button-pushing. It powers on just fine, and the display lights up. But I can't get speed to increase, incline to change, or any of the pre-programmed crap to engage. Thoughts?

(Amazon very conveniently has replacement consoles available for a mere $1680 apiece.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

If there is absolutely no response to any button pushing, the first thing to do is check all connections between the console and the control board.  Typically there are connectors behind the console that you can see when you remove a back cover.  Likely the wire runs down the right side upright, and into the motor housing area where the control board is.  So remove that and check those connections as well.

With moving the treadmill, it would not be unusual for something to shake loose.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

90% of any treadmll's use, yours may be 100%.  Good luck on the control board issue.  Did it work before you moved it?  If so, spaniel's probably right, loose connection.

If there is absolutely no response to any button pushing, the first thing to do is check all connections between the console and the control board.  Typically there are connectors behind the console that you can see when you remove a back cover.  Likely the wire runs down the right side upright, and into the motor housing area where the control board is.  So remove that and check those connections as well.

With moving the treadmill, it would not be unusual for something to shake loose.

Nothing more to add than this.  As Spaniel said the console connectors run down the right side upright.  Best thing to do is take it apart, unplug the connector and plug it back in and then trace and check connections at the control board by the motor.  If you don't have the manual, check on-line for how the console and uprights piece together.  It should be pretty easy reversing the steps for taking it apart.  For the front panel on the deck that covers the motor and control board, there should be three screws on the front and then one on each side accessed below the deck that holds it together.    Good luck.

Feeling the growl again

PS - typically the connectors to the console itself are snap connectors, so it is hard for them to come loose.  If I had to bet money on it they are more likely to come loose where they plug into the board.  Mine did that once.

PPS - Good to see you around here again.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Thanks, folks!

I'll see if I can break it completely this weekend. 

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Thanks, folks!

I'll see if I can break it completely this weekend

Want me to come over?

Went under the hood, cleaned out all the dirt and crap, checked and pushed every connector, and removed from string-like string from the end of the roller. Plugged it in, turned it on, reset the circuit breaker (again) ... and it works just fine.

I have no idea if it was due to anything I did. 

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

I have no idea if it was due to anything I did. 

The logical conclusion is that you are a friggin genious, and proceed as such...

C-R

Based on this article, you may live forever spaniel. Assuming you get extra points for running treadmills into the ground.

Treadmill test

Seriously, I wonder just how accurate. Seems there are too many variables to consider

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Based on this article, you may live forever spaniel. Assuming you get extra points for running treadmills into the ground.

Treadmill test

Seriously, I wonder just how accurate. Seems there are too many variables to consider

I'm confused.  I thought the last study said running more than 20 minutes moderately per week killed us....

Hawt and sexy

My treadmill got wet while I was gone. A toilet upstairs overflowed on it for a few hours. So far the deck is sturdy. But Andypants must never even look at Probey now.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

My treadmill got wet while I was gone. A toilet upstairs overflowed on it for a few hours. So far the deck is sturdy. But Andypants must never even look at Probey now.

I Googled Probey.  The urban dictionary definition is....interesting.

As long as the deck and electronics didn't get wet it could be OK.  The decks are nothing more than highly compressed paper/cardboard like material so if they really get wet you will know it.  I used an old treadmill deck as a table for last year's Beer Mile, set across a couple sawhorses.  I was lazy (ie drunk) and left it out for a couple days, and it got half an inch of rain on it.

Afterwards it resembled the letter U and weighed about 100 lbs.

Hawt and sexy

Silly Andypants.  Probey is the first name of my hamster wheel. Probey Proform.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Silly Andypants.  Probey is the first name of my hamster wheel. Probey Proform.

So I guess the sexual connotations of the urban dictionary definition don't apply....LOL...Personally I prefer the NCIS definition.