3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Each of those years were riddled with some kind of injury.  I'm in the middle of my best stretch of running in 14 years and am feeling pretty dang good.  I really would like to get a few shorter races in before Boston.  We'll have to see what I can find.

I recall your PMs when I had my Achilles thing.  Glad to see your running is on such as upswing.

5:42.  As tempo pace.  Geez.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

J-L-C

Be afraid, very afraid...

On another note, finally getting things to come back around.  This week has been a distaster with work schedules (got about 3 hours sleep Tuesday night.  Now that all that is behind me and I had two decent nights sleep, I set out for an 8 mile tempo.  45:35 for the 8 which was an average 5:42 per mile.  Was really happy with the consistency throughout.  Helped mentally to break down the long tempo effort in 2 mile segments.

Wow. That's a helluva tempo. Nicely done!

J-L-C

I sorta bombed my Tuesday workout. It was cold and raining and it was my first attempt at some longer 5k pace efforts and it just didn't happen. Plan was for 5x3mins at 5k pace. The first one was a second or two slow, the next one was another second slower, the next one the same, and 2 mins into the 4th I wasn't even managing 10k pace anymore so I pulled the plug and limped back home with my tail between my legs, ruing my prior efforts at increasing the pace on my easy days by a bit too much.

Took it easy the next two days and yesterday managed to nail my longest interval session in the last year at the track, 4+ miles of 10k paced intervals in the form of 5 x 1.4k (3.5 laps of the track). Was shooting for 4:54 (5:37/mile) on each and managed 4:54, 4:54, 4:52, 4:54, 4:55 with 2 mins, 400m recoveries. It was all of 25 degrees and getting dark and those last two were hellacious. Thought I might get lost in the hurtlocker and not find my way out again.

Happy running!

Feeling the growl again

Thanks to the nor'easter I was able to get a nice little 14 miler in first thing in the morning and then start drinking with lunch.

Now a day doesn't get much better than that...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Second run of the day was just supposed to be an easy jog but no plan survives the first meeting of the enemy.

DS1 got his first pair of real running shoes so he and I hit the track for a mile to make sure they worked. A nice sub 8 and I decided to pick things up a bit with mile repeats. Ran three at <6:30 with 7:20 or so recoveries. Last one sucked but this was a good workout a couple of weeks out from my HM. Total 7 miles in 49:41.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Second run of the day was just supposed to be an easy jog but no plan survives the first meeting of the enemy.

DS1 got his first pair of real running shoes so he and I hit the track for a mile to make sure they worked. A nice sub 8 and I decided to pick things up a bit with mile repeats. Ran three at <6:30 with 7:20 or so recoveries. Last one sucked but this was a good workout a couple of weeks out from my HM. Total 7 miles in 49:41.

Kick ass.  Pain is good.  Did DS hang with you or did you lay down the Old Man Speed on him?

(I can talk shit now because I am a few years away from this and have two girls to buffer from my son catching up to me)

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Kick ass.  Pain is good.  Did DS hang with you or did you lay down the Old Man Speed on him?

(I can talk shit now because I am a few years away from this and have two girls to buffer from my son catching up to me)

He tried the new shoes and then played basketball and swam while I pummeled myself.

I've got two years to get serious and keep him at bay but that might be the end of it. Track season starts next week and he wants to run the 160 and 2400.

Don't worry. Nate will be pushing you to do that extra workout in a few years.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Feeling the growl again

He tried the new shoes and then played basketball and swam while I pummeled myself.

I've got two years to get serious and keep him at bay but that might be the end of it. Track season starts next week and he wants to run the 160 and 2400.

Don't worry. Nate will be pushing you to do that extra workout in a few years.

Sounds like you have a few years of motivation to revisit those PRs...

160?  2400?  WTF units do you work with up there???

Crap, I will be in the weakness of my mid/late 40s when Nate gets to the age of kicking my ass.  I get the feeling it will be a pretty quick passing of the torch.

C-R

Sounds like you have a few years of motivation to revisit those PRs...

160?  2400?  WTF units do you work with up there???

Crap, I will be in the weakness of my mid/late 40s when Nate gets to the age of kicking my ass.  I get the feeling it will be a pretty quick passing of the torch.

1600 and yes those PRs must fall now as I have a feeling they won't be the house low in a few. Well at least the 5k and 10k. Others I might get to keep for a bit.

Damn it sucks getting old but it sure is fun watching your kid hit their stride.

C-R, 1600 and 2400?  Your son must like to suffer.  What's his username?

While not nearly as impressive as some here, I did get in a solid two hour long run (16 miles) last night, mostly doing laps at the hilly local cemetery.

I've also started P90X in hopes of working on my core issues (for example, as I've gotten faster, side stitches at 5K-10K pace have become more common) and my weak-ass arms and back  (my shoulders sometimes go numb on long runs).

I.  Hate.  Tony.  Horton.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

C-R

C-R, 1600 and 2400?  Your son must like to suffer.  What's his username?

I've also started P90X in hopes of working on my core issues (for example, as I've gotten faster, side stitches at 5K-10K pace have become more common) and my weak-ass arms and back  (my shoulders sometimes go numb on long runs).

I.  Hate.  Tony.  Horton.

My father was a sprint guy (100 yd, 220 and 440 with several HS and one state record in the 50s) but those genes have skipped us so we must try to make up over distance. He wanted the challenge and probably like the idea of kicking the old man's ass pretty soon. He better put in the work 'cause I am. He's not on RA. Frankly the place scares me and I have no idea what it would look like to an 12yo.

I tried the P90x core workout yesterday. Tony Horton can kiss my ass. Couldn't keep up and I hurt. But I'll pop it back in the player for more pain.

MTA: 16 miles in a cemetery? Damn. Quiet I'm sure but damn.

Heh, I was kidding about the username thing.  Heck, as a teacher, I live in semi-fear of a the possible awkward moment when one of my students who runs discovers this site.  Sounds like your son is going to be a heck of a runner--starting from a great place and definitely has the parental support and role model he'll need.

I hate, despise, LOATHE Ab Ripper X.  I have been doing Pfitz's "Advanced Core" workout for about a year (but don't usually log it), and thought I'd be fine at P90X's offering.  Yeah, I can't do it without breaks.  That was a humbling realization.

And I love "my cemetery."  It's hilly as heck, a mile from home, one loop is over a mile, and they plow it in the winter.

My father was a sprint guy (100 yd, 220 and 440 with several HS and one state record in the 50s) but those genes have skipped us so we must try to make up over distance. He wanted the challenge and probably like the idea of kicking the old man's ass pretty soon. He better put in the work 'cause I am. He's not on RA. Frankly the place scares me and I have no idea what it would look like to an 12yo.

I tried the P90x core workout yesterday. Tony Horton can kiss my ass. Couldn't keep up and I hurt. But I'll pop it back in the player for more pain.

MTA: 16 miles in a cemetery? Damn. Quiet I'm sure but damn.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

Kalsarikännit

I'll finally contribute to this thread.

I ended up bailing on my workout a few days ago. I had spent a half week running in the mountains (including a beastly 21.4 mi run) and ended up with a quad that was super cranky. I turned my tempo into a MP run a few days ago, but even that was too much. I was hobbling just running easy. I didn't know what to expect for this morning's long run.  I headed out super easy, but the pace increased. I kept saying, "slow down, dummy", and I would, but it never lasted long. At the turn around I figure I would have to slow. It was 19 degrees out, and on the way back I had a vicious headwind.  My clothes were wet and it was freezing, plus it was so strong at times it felt like it was pushing you back (welcome to running on Chicago's lakefront).  It made my eyes (or contacts) feel like they were freezing and burning. Everything got foggy and blurry, but that's ok. (When I got home, my eyes were the most astonishing shade of red). I was surprised to see that I was still keeping a nice pace and it felt really relaxed and easy.  Anyways, at the end of the run I discovered that I had run the fastest pace of any long run I have ever done. Ever. Not bad for a 28 mile run!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

Nice.  Doing a long run on the lakefront path this time of year is no trivial undertaking.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Very good, Wrigley!  And now I feel even more guilty for whining about the "cold" we have been

having.  Just cold weather wuss here.

steph