3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

It is rare to see good commentary on running races in the US.  

That the race is on at all I count as a minor victory. Though, I've recently switched to ATTuverse so have like a bazillion channels now and running pops on a few once in a while (even if it's tape delayed ncaa stuff on nbcsports).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Tough one for Mo yesterday, but at least it may have dampened expectations before London.  It was good to see G.Mutai back running well though.  London is going to be a serious serious race at the sharp end.

To be on the ground and still finish 17sec for Mutai...not a bad sign.

That he blacked out and collapsed after the race is scary though.  Sounds like he was really pushing it to get himself into 2nd, but still....somebody force-feed that man a cheeseburger.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

BEKELE!!!!

Basically counted as a has-been the last 4-5 years or so, despite demolishing all of the Tergat/Geb 5K/10K records.  Now he beats Mo handily in the HM, the debuts in the marathon far superior to Geb/Tergat despite a) having to do it solo for the last half, and b) also experiencing some cramping, which Geb fell back on repeatedly as an excuse for some of his many sub-par marathon performances.

The interesting thing, is that when Geb/Tergat were debuting a 2:05 was exceptional.   Now it is not (granted, Paris is not the fastest course).  Curious what will happen with Bekele in marathones 2 or 3 on a real record-quality course.

I'm a bit disappointed he seemed to avoid real competition...not running London....to debut in Paris.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

MEB!!!!

I'm seriously ticked I'm plugging away at work with no opportunity to follow real-time, much less watch the race.  Wow did that sound good.

kcam

Jeez that was exciting.  I was streaming it from the BAA site at work.  I thought for sure he'd get run down.  Pacing around my cube if you can believe that!  I knew that if he could make that right onto Hereford with 8 or 9 seconds lead he'd get pumped from the energy of the crowd and hold on.  Right when he made the turn I thought I could see a renewed bounce in his stride.  Right then, unfortunately, my boss yelled for me to come into his office.... NOOOOO!! ARE YOU KIDDING?  NOW???? I wanted to yell.  But I dutifully trudged over and into his office happy and secure that I knew Meb had it in the bag.  Came back to check and saw that he had PR'd and held on for the win.  Couldn't be a nicer and more deserving winner than Meb.

Glad I watched the race.  Think with a couple more chasers, they could have made this hairier than it was.  Courageous chase there by Chebet.

C-R

Both elite men and women's were a blast to watch. Glad I didn't need to travel today.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I was not very productive this morning. Damn that was fun.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I was not very productive this morning. Damn that was fun.

Effing work deadlines.  I didn't even log on until it was over.

Just a dude.

So did anyone else see the article where Ryan Hall may have helped Meb win Boston?

Thoughts?

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/04/untold-story-american-teamwork-ryan-hall-helped-meb-keflezighi-win-boston/

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Feeling the growl again

So did anyone else see the article where Ryan Hall may have helped Meb win Boston?

Thoughts?

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/04/untold-story-american-teamwork-ryan-hall-helped-meb-keflezighi-win-boston/

-Kelly

Smart on Ryan's part.  He's right, if they had pushed it the Africans would have just drafted on them until they put on the big move.  Did it cost some of the Americans involved?  Who knows, it may have helped them from blowing up going to early.  Maybe they could have finished a bit better.  We'll never know.  But I can guarantee that once the gauntlet was thrown, the other Americans would have been dusted.

But it certainly helped Meb.

heh.. Looks like RH learned his lesson about being a pacer at Boston.

And we run because we like it
                          Through the broad bright land

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thought spaniel at least might appreciate this.

from http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/07/mens-1500-asbel-kiprop-goes-world-record-loaded-field/

El Guerrouj’s recorded 800 PR was just 1:47.18, but the guy for whatever reason simply didn’t get tired. He finished off his WR with a 1:49.5-ish final 800 (53.3 last lap). He also closed his 2004 Olympic 1,500 gold medal race with a 1:46.5 final 800.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Thought spaniel at least might appreciate this.

from http://www.letsrun.com/news/2014/07/mens-1500-asbel-kiprop-goes-world-record-loaded-field/

Thanks, good read...despite the source.  Big grin   I'll be looking for the result.  1:54/400m....just wow.  I remember the days of El G vs Lagat, those were the days of the 1500m.  Hard to believe it's been so long since El G retired and Lagat is still notching wins.

America's greatest runner retires.. Cant wait for Matt Scherer's marathon debut.

And we run because we like it
                                Through the broad bright land