3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Doldrums and Committment (Read 50 times)

So the results were mixed. I was thinking sub 35 and ended up 35:31 2AG. It was pretty windy but that's a crap excuse. The bright side is I'm doing this with too many extra pounds on the frame and at only around 30mpw. More work needed.

Improvement will come with time and consistency.  Most importantly, you're back at it.  I'd still call your result a win.  How's the boy running this Spring?

C-R

Improvement will come with time and consistency.  Most importantly, you're back at it.  I'd still call your result a win.  How's the boy running this Spring?

True. Small improvements over time.

Kiddo is doing well. Track season right now. He ran 10:30 on Friday. Next to last race, windy, cold. He wasn't happy as he's looking to get around 10:10. He has the fitness but needs racing experience and strategy for track. On grass he's like a damn deer. Should be breaking 16 for the 5k XC soon.

I see your kiddo is throwing some serious times down too.

Fun to watch.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I failed to care from June 4th to July 24th.

I lost a lot of ground in those 51 days.  I am starting to move forward again, but I have not caught back up with end of May fitness.

After the heat meltdown at FANS 24, I was not mentally committed to any race ... so driving force to get me to care.

July 24th - I realized if I did not get my ass in gear I would not be able to run the Glacial Trail 50M.

I need something to help me do more that run enough to survive.  I have to care enough to moderately train.

My plan included a test 5 Mile run on Thanksgiving and then see how fit I can get by our 1st real road race of the 2018 season ~ Point Bock 5 miler on March 3rd.

My real-end goal is to build enough fitness to break 3 hours for the marathon after I turn 50 (2019 season).  From my current fitness that will take awhile.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

No Glacial 50M.

Still stuck in this death loop.

In theory I should improve running 40-50 miles per week, > 5,000 vertical, 2-3 weight sessions and some other activity.  But that is the maximum that I can do and still eat like shit, drink too much beer, be dehydrated and generally not take care of myself.  But just enough working out that I think I deserve a treat ... every day.

I decided to try to act like an athlete this week and see if it gets a little easier.  Which reminds we I need more h20 this morning.

I am not willing to accept that 48 is when everything completely falls apart ... but it is either that or that my consumption and dehydration is at an all time ugliness.

I ran a 5 mile turkey trot thanksgiving morning and it sucked on every level.  I had 3 days of drinking too much and eating poorly and I was dehydrated.  The mile markers were off on the new course.  I started back a bit and hit the start line 15 seconds after gun, it took the 1st mile to get to clean air ... hit mile #1 7:27 ... Mile # 2 13:57 (I am thinking yeehaw ... despite feeling like a pile of crap this is encouraging).  There were race signs everywhere and I did not see another mile marker.  At 33 minutes I am waiting to see the finish line come into view, instead I hit a spot where I know I still have at least 3/4 a mile left ... damn it!  I keep it up ... barely.  It is the 1st time I heaved 4-5 times after crossing a finish line .. not actually throwing up, but fighting hard not to.

39:16 ... maybe 39:00 if it were chip timed.

I have really sunk low ...  It must be a call to action ... but what action?  Fight or Flight.

My plan is to run the Point Bock 5 miler March 3rd to see if I can make some real progress.

Feeling the growl again

No Glacial 50M.

Still stuck in this death loop.

In theory I should improve running 40-50 miles per week, > 5,000 vertical, 2-3 weight sessions and some other activity.  But that is the maximum that I can do and still eat like shit, drink too much beer, be dehydrated and generally not take care of myself.  But just enough working out that I think I deserve a treat ... every day.

I decided to try to act like an athlete this week and see if it gets a little easier.  Which reminds we I need more h20 this morning.

I am not willing to accept that 48 is when everything completely falls apart ... but it is either that or that my consumption and dehydration is at an all time ugliness.

I ran a 5 mile turkey trot thanksgiving morning and it sucked on every level.  I had 3 days of drinking too much and eating poorly and I was dehydrated.  The mile markers were off on the new course.  I started back a bit and hit the start line 15 seconds after gun, it took the 1st mile to get to clean air ... hit mile #1 7:27 ... Mile # 2 13:57 (I am thinking yeehaw ... despite feeling like a pile of crap this is encouraging).  There were race signs everywhere and I did not see another mile marker.  At 33 minutes I am waiting to see the finish line come into view, instead I hit a spot where I know I still have at least 3/4 a mile left ... damn it!  I keep it up ... barely.  It is the 1st time I heaved 4-5 times after crossing a finish line .. not actually throwing up, but fighting hard not to.

39:16 ... maybe 39:00 if it were chip timed.

I have really sunk low ...  It must be a call to action ... but what action?  Fight or Flight.

My plan is to run the Point Bock 5 miler March 3rd to see if I can make some real progress.

I haven't raced in 2 years.

I gained 20lbs within 6 months of my promotion 3 years ago, and have only arrested the gain.  Maybe.

I'm kind of at the point I'm disgusted with myself but unsure how to effect a long-term solution.  My kids are getting older and consuming more time, and my time was already gone.  A major part of my problem is that even IF I have time after work for exercise, I'm so depleted I just want to veg.  Which leaves shifting my whole schedule back to rely on consistent 5:30-6am workouts.  Scant success with that yet.

Deep down I know it is just willpower and in many circumstances this is a core strength of mine.  But here, after many years of holding the line, I'm lacking.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Deep down I know it is just willpower and in many circumstances this is a core strength of mine.  But here, after many years of holding the line, I'm lacking.

Don't beat yourself up for putting all of this real life stuff first.  All of this stuff is why I never got serious about running until I was in my 40's,  Once your kids get to their teenage years they will be wanting some independence and you will find yourself having more time slots available for running.  At least that's my experience.  So maybe you ride out a few years of relative inactivity then when the time presents itself you start looking into working on the masters PRs.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

I think this is what bugs me the most about my current self.  In the past I would make goals - make a plan - follow the plan ... disciplined life!

Now I make goals - make a plan - I become the King of bad decisions that blow the plan up.

My plan is not that hard for how my life is structured right now.  I am down to 50-60 hours a week of work.  My 17 year old is pretty much doing her thing and we see her a few nights a week.  My 13 year old is busy but we see more of her.

Plan

* 40-60 MPW

* 2,500-10,000 feet of vertical

*  weights 2-3 times a week

*  limit alcohol and drink lots of water

*  Eat a healthy(ish)

*  Add volleyball, racquetball or walleyball with my 13 year old any time she wants

It is very flexible - I can substitute other activities for run miles ... Cross Country Skiing, Biking, Snowshoeing (Anything aerobic)

My exercise level is OK - I have been failing miserably on the alcohol, h20 and diet ...

DoppleBock

I remember when all my older friends said that sub 2:50 or even sub 3:00 was nice in your 40's but near impossible in your 50's.

February 27, 2019 - I turn 50 and I am hoping to get a little piss and vinegar back in my discipline to prove them wrong.  2018 ... need to be about healthy habits and 2019 about a little more training.

But I continue to write mental checks on goals I cannot cash.

Right now I am just trying to get to day #7 with being healthy(ish) ~

Don't beat yourself up for putting all of this real life stuff first.  All of this stuff is why I never got serious about running until I was in my 40's,  Once your kids get to their teenage years they will be wanting some independence and you will find yourself having more time slots available for running.  At least that's my experience.  So maybe you ride out a few years of relative inactivity then when the time presents itself you start looking into working on the masters PRs.

C-R

I hear you. I'm having more discipline on running consistently and now getting some workouts in the mix. I struggle on the diet side and the extra weight is not coming off. My BQ shot is in late March and I need to nut up now.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

DoppleBock

Is it Carmel marathon 3/31?

Maybe we should get an convey going to carry you along Smile

I hear you. I'm having more discipline on running consistently and now getting some workouts in the mix. I struggle on the diet side and the extra weight is not coming off. My BQ shot is in late March and I need to nut up now.

C-R

Is it Carmel marathon 3/31?

Maybe we should get an convey going to carry you along Smile

It sure is. Come on down. I have lots of room and beer.

DoppleBock

50-54 Man are you old

* < 3:30

but really you need to shoot for

* < 3:25 or better

I am still young 45-49 (49)

* Not likely ... but maybe.

I have the NK50K the next weekend.  It sure was fun last time, but we were young back then (2012).  I remember getting up early the next day for a 4-5 mile shakeout run and then doing a 26 mile trail run later that day on the way home.

Damn you ... I really miss being in shape.

C-R

Hahaha. I am old but making peace with it.

Shooting for 3:25

You need to register and there's mutual accountability to actually have at it and get better.

Time to nut up.

BTW - 6+ miles below race pace in the snow today. I'm starting to feel those old stirrings.

Or perhaps its just gas. Time will tell.

DoppleBock

Are you talking trash to me ?

Or just a crotchety old man?

I may come to see you - Run and hand out ... but this would not fit as a goal race.  That being said ~ is it filling up?  I am not ready to make the call as I have to figure out a few weekends to get needed stuff done.

I don't need to make lofty goals - I just want to stay consistent for now.  Been at 40 MPW ... now moving to that 50-60 for awhile.  Starting to add a bit of speed.  But more working on vertical right now ... probably too much > 2 vertical miles this week already.

Us old people have to be conservative in our training

Hahaha. I am old but making peace with it.

Shooting for 3:25

You need to register and there's mutual accountability to actually have at it and get better.

Time to nut up.

BTW - 6+ miles below race pace in the snow today. I'm starting to feel those old stirrings.

Or perhaps its just gas. Time will tell.

C-R

It won't fill out plus I'm good buds with the RD so a spot will always be open.

I agree on the patient training. Last year taught me that.

And yes I'm getting to be that crotchety old man. So turn down that music and get off my lawn.

First workout of the training cycle in the books today.

Time to drop the weight.