3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Doldrums and Committment (Read 50 times)

Last 70 days = 701 miles with some days off

Nice work.  Good to see the consistency. How has the winter weather been for you up there?  It'a been pretty good down here. Suppose to be pushing into the 60's over the next four days!

Are you keeping track of vertical gain too?  Where are you at through the last 70 days?

DoppleBock

Mostly TM  miles.  Been a lot of ice.

I am finishing up 5 days in Arizona and have enjoyed running on road and trails here @ Supersition Mountain.  Took Saturday off to crew my sister in Black Canyon 100k - It was cold and rainy all day ... She finshed in 15:30 in 20+ MPH winds, driving rain and 39K.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Wow, that's solid.  I'd love to average 10 a day again.

Been a rough week at work.  Three days off in the last 5, but when I run I run, 12 miles each.  Extended weekend starting with family travel, but in a way that should open extra time to run.  Hoping to make a 5 day running week look somewhat impressive.

Well, I didn't get the kids out of school soon enough.  They brought whatever flu is going around with them.  Lots of time cleaning up puke and taking care of sick kids.  And whatever it was wasn't completely covered by the flu vaccine, because I got a lot of fatigue from it.

Nonetheless, I got 12 miles in with some guys I used to dust.  Problem was they were doing 16 and I couldn't hang.  Depressing.  Still got out and did another 12 the next day trying to get the 16, but again found it pushing too far.  But hey, I could have sat on my ass and not felt bad about it, but I got some miles in.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Village people

Well, I didn't get the kids out of school soon enough.  They brought whatever flu is going around with them.  Lots of time cleaning up puke and taking care of sick kids.  And whatever it was wasn't completely covered by the flu vaccine, because I got a lot of fatigue from it.

Nonetheless, I got 12 miles in with some guys I used to dust.  Problem was they were doing 16 and I couldn't hang.  Depressing.  Still got out and did another 12 the next day trying to get the 16, but again found it pushing too far.  But hey, I could have sat on my ass and not felt bad about it, but I got some miles in.

That stinks. A lot of yucky stuff going through my house, too. Hopefully everyone is on the mend.

DoppleBock

Yesterday I had a nice 10k at lunch (For me right now).  It was parents versus kids at my daughters club team and I worked really hard for 1 hour 40 minutes.  I got home to do my evening hill workout and about 1 mile in I knew I was toast and had to shut it down.

I do not want to give up other fun non-running activities and I do not know how to half ass them either.

I also think as I take less walk breaks and run faster I will have to learn easy pace.  I am in  aperiod of good progress and would prefer not to screw it up.

My older daugher is home sick with a cold today ... we are worried as tomorrow is sub-district for Forensics.  As a freshmen shen went to state and received a perfect score - So she should make it through if she can actually talk.

Feeling the growl again

My older daugher is home sick with a cold today ... we are worried as tomorrow is sub-district for Forensics.  As a freshmen shen went to state and received a perfect score - So she should make it through if she can actually talk.

Best of luck to her.  Which event does she do?  This was a big part of my high school experience, and turned out to be invaluable to my career.  So much more important than the jocks who played football, then never did again after HS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Hope that competition went well. Feel the same way about kiddo's robotics team. He's learned more hands on engineering and technical problem solving in two years than most kids get in a lifetime.

So my quest continues with managing to stay off IR and building miles. Still slow and fat but both are trending in the correct direction. It sure is easier to stay in shape than to regain it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Village people

Hope that competition went well. Feel the same way about kiddo's robotics team. He's learned more hands on engineering and technical problem solving in two years than most kids get in a lifetime.

So my quest continues with managing to stay off IR and building miles. Still slow and fat but both are trending in the correct direction. It sure is easier to stay in shape than to regain it.

Hey, my daughter is on her HS robotics team. I love that program.

Good luck to your daughter. I hope she feels

better.

DoppleBock

She was well enough to move on to Districts.

I continue to be semi-committed.  Committed to running 90% and to eating 50%.  I need to get both up to 90% and I will have the following winds.  I cut back my 30+ mile run Saturday to a 22 mile run.  I did not get up early enough (Friday night beer, pizza and family games) and had to get my oldest daughter to a friends house (Winter Dance at school).  That ended up OK because I had a really nice speed workout Sunday morning.

C-R

First road race of the year for me tomorrow - 8k. Both excited and a bit nervous in that this is a test to see if my steady training for health on my knee worked under "racing" (right now I need to put that in quotes due to non specific race training and general fatness) conditions.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

DoppleBock

Enjoy the race ... I am waiting a bit yet until I test shorter distances.

First road race of the year for me tomorrow - 8k. Both excited and a bit nervous in that this is a test to see if my steady training for health on my knee worked under "racing" (right now I need to put that in quotes due to non specific race training and general fatness) conditions.

Overall I have great momentum.  I continue to lose 3-4# a week.  I continue to fit in running, work & family time in a reasonable balance.  My back and hip have remained in decent shape (an occasional bark).  Currently my hernia in my diaphragm is painful ... but not too painful for me to continue to do my workouts, sometimes I have to alter workouts or do them on different days.

I am thrilled with my progress ... It is less important at the speed I continue to move forward, I just do to not step backward at this point.

May 13 will be my 1st official race (April 1st 50k was a "Fun Run") - Ice Age 50 Miler.  I am planning on having fun and not killing myself ... be in control and drink beer afterward.

June 3-4 FANS 24 is my goal race to make at least 101 miles to secure my 500 mile vest in 4 year of racing.  But reasonably I am hoping to pull off 131 miles if I can keep making progress.

After FANS - I will think about racing 5ks - 1/2 marathons for awhile.

C-R

Good to hear DB. Balance is a key. Right now I could use more of that in work/life area.

Feeling the growl again

Damn DB, that is some killer training you are getting in.  No wonder the weight is dropping.

Wish I could say the same, I don't know where I would find the time.  But I think my kids are younger and right now that's a time sink.  It sounds lame but I've buckled down more for the past week than the past 2 years.  Down a good 3lbs.  And it feels sustainable to keep on this way.

C-R

So the results were mixed. I was thinking sub 35 and ended up 35:31 2AG. It was pretty windy but that's a crap excuse. The bright side is I'm doing this with too many extra pounds on the frame and at only around 30mpw. More work needed.

DoppleBock

Nice start and setpoint ... now just figure out how to improve.

So the results were mixed. I was thinking sub 35 and ended up 35:31 2AG. It was pretty windy but that's a crap excuse. The bright side is I'm doing this with too many extra pounds on the frame and at only around 30mpw. More work needed.