3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

False starting (Read 515 times)

Feeling the growl again

Can't argue that one.  I leave the house for work at 5:30 AM, so running in the morning means that I would have to get up at 4.  That doesn't happen.  Lunch is not an option when I am in the office ... no locker facilities.  So unless I am working from home, which is rare, I run in the afternoon when I am home from work.  I don't sit down, I quickly get changed and out the door I go.

The fact that I would have to get up at 4 AM everyday is what prevents me from ever doing doubles.

I've been much the same way, but I'd have fewer unintentional skipped runs if I logged the miles while the family was still asleep.  After-work runs are just getting too intrusive on family time and will more so with another little one.  I'd rather afternoon runs turn into a bonus, and I log most miles in morning or at lunch.  If I get up at 5:20AM I can squeeze in 8-10 miles if I use the treadmill to skip winter gear prep time.

I'm off to San Fran tomorrow....I have some runs there I really like doing so I'm looking forward to it.  I plan to destroy myself on hills a couple times, though running the last 2-3 days I am there will really be challenging on top of 14-18hr workdays.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I've run more miles than you so far this month? That's just not right.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I'm off to San Fran tomorrow....I have some runs there I really like doing so I'm looking forward to it.  I plan to destroy myself on hills a couple times, though running the last 2-3 days I am there will really be challenging on top of 14-18hr workdays.

I was there in June.  Stayed in Tiburon.  Nice running there.  I also ran across the Golden Gate Bridge and down to Crissy Field and back one day.  That was cool.

If you get a chance head up to Santa Rosa and hit the Russian River Brewery.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Fuck. 

I find this forum's particular form of motivation strangely refreshing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

I was there in June.  Stayed in Tiburon.  Nice running there.  I also ran across the Golden Gate Bridge and down to Crissy Field and back one day.  That was cool.

If you get a chance head up to Santa Rosa and hit the Russian River Brewery.

My staple run is from downtown, along the Embarcadero and through some parks, across the Golden Gate and back.  17 miles.   Hills are not hard to find.

We have no car...my usual local family member who I'd take on that is off in China.  So I'm stuck in the city.  Trust me, I googled it.

C-R

Yikes. I don't log stalk too often but I'm with ra on this one. 

Go have some fun on the hills in SF. Oh and don't eat any brownies unless you know who made them.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

So I'm stuck in the city.  Trust me, I googled it.

There's always 21st Amendment.  Love their black IPA.  That's near the Bay Bridge.

Not at it at all. 

Just a dude.

I find this forum's particular form of motivation strangely refreshing.

+1

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Lunch runs I usually...almost always...get out the door if I can make time at work without dropping responsibilities.  Morning runs are where I have work to do.

Yes, if you can do this, do it.  And by the way, good call on nixing the night runs. In my experience that is just a huge imposition on family life. I know the purpose of this thread is to get you to run more. But, really, if you are going to get up at 5 a.m. and run 8-10 a day.  That's a good consistency. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

DoppleBock

Funny how the choices we make in life have such an impact

I chose to work for a family friendly company and have chosen to only work at locations that allow me to live in area that are pretty rural - They also do not expect more than 50 hours per week on average

I chose to live 5 minutes from work

These choices mean significantly less money - But I am still blessed with more than I need

I have not job hopped - If I would move anywhere and switched companies a few times, I am confident I could have been more successful in the eyes of the world.

My choices mean I spend about 1 hour per week total in my car - That is to work - to the Y - to church - to shopping etc.  This does not include driving to trails or High Cliff.  This leaves me about 6 hours of free time on work days.  

I have had chances to move to NJ, PA, UT, CA - All in big cities and I have said no.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I agree we should be spending time with our families - I might spend less time than some of the people on this board - But more than the average Dad out there - What I do make sure is that my family time is spent 100% engaged with the family.  We play a lot of family games, watch movies together, I help with homework or we go outside and play.  To me there is not a lot of value in having me watching my show on TV while the family is on the computer, sitting in their room doing only God knows what or having them watching a different TV.  I see a lot of families that are in the same house - but are not really spending time together.

Feeling the growl again

I chose to live 5 minutes from work 

I do miss those days and envy you.  My commute will get cut by 30-80% (depending on the day) when they finish this blasted construction.  To have a rewarding job yet live in a rural area I am lucky I could make it all happen in my profession/industry with the commute I have.

This thread has turned more to choices but the frustration I had that led to starting the tread was not about choices....but to setbacks not related to choices.  Mono, two bugs this fall, and finally this issue with my back.  I'm just looking forward to getting enough time strung together to see some decent results.

DoppleBock

well at least it was a diversion for a while