3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

What would you do? (Read 683 times)

Candice - you should not be ashamed of those splits. Yes, the first few were a bit quick - but, given the heat, it wasn't too far off your PR. On a good day you would have destroyed it.

I kept trying to keep it more around 7 minute pace the first 10 miles because I knew the 6:35s were too fast, but it seemed like when it wasn't hilly I went under 7 minute pace, and when it was I went over.... then once the heat started taking effect I was just holding on to what I could. Mile 25 was a kick in the ass, up this huge hill in the middle of nowhere on a highway with no people around except for a guy that I found puking his guts out on the side of the road. He told me not to stop but I got him help when I found a volunteer. I really really wanted to join him. What he was doing seemed more fun.

My thinking early on, in the first 10 or 11 miles (before my pace started slipping too bad) was that if it didn't get any hotter i'd be able to keep running low 7s, and possibly still sub 7s. I tried going after something faster than 3:05. I knew that probably wasn't smart, but I didn't really care. I was prepared for two things- blowing up, or a bigger PR than 3:05.

Anyway, its 5 minutes off my PR. Which yea, is not bad. I'm just bummed cause I worked harder for more. It happens. It's my fastest blow up ever! So theres that Wink

Hopefully I get a good day at the next one.

I will always be proud of how I did in the heat at Boston in 04 but my splits were not that even.  I slowed down more.  Looks good to me.

I usually have way more even splits. I thought these were terrible. I guess not as terrible as I thought.

Anyway, its 5 minutes off my PR. Which yea, is not bad. I'm just bummed cause I worked harder for more. It happens. It's my fastest blow up ever! So theres that Wink

Maybe negative energy is what motivates you best, but I don't see "failure" in your race time or splits.  You should be bummed, but not about your performance.  You held up your end of the bargain and arrived at the line in fantastic shape, but Nature dealt you a meteorologically crappy hand.

How you played the crap hand was solid.  I think there's a lot of Goodness to be taken away from both the race experience and the training cycle that led up to it.  You're doing things right.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Maybe negative energy is what motivates you best, but I don't see "failure" in your race time or splits.  You should be bummed, but not about your performance.  You held up your end of the bargain and arrived at the line in fantastic shape, but Nature dealt you a meteorologically crappy hand.

How you played the crap hand was solid.  I think there's a lot of Goodness to be taken away from both the race experience and the training cycle that led up to it.  You're doing things right.

ABSOLUTELY!! +1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks Clive.

Things are rarely ever good enough for me... if they can be better. It's kinda just how I am. I wouldn't call it being motivated by negative...i'd call it being motivated by the belief, or hope, that I can do more.

Now HTFU.  This is NOT a "you can do it!" group.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Will do Wink

Prince of Fatness

Things are rarely ever good enough for me... if they can be better. It's kinda just how I am. I wouldn't call it being motivated by negative...i'd call it being motivated by the belief, or hope, that I can do more.

This is good, and I really don't think that you are unique in this line of thinking.  Honestly there are less than a handful of races where I was completely satisfied.  By satisfied I mean that I got just about all that I could out of my body that day.  I think that if I were you I would be pissed that the weather was what it was but satisfied that I got about all that I could out of my body that day.  Of course, I'm not you.

You handled the heat just about as well as anyone could expect, especially considering that you hadn't had a chance to acclimate to it.  You were top 10 female overall.  I know that the time on the clock was not what you were looking for, and it's good that you are hungry for more.  But I also think that it is OK to take away the positives from your race, and there are many.  I don't see it as an either / or.

Not at it at all. 

This is good, and I really don't think that you are unique in this line of thinking.  Honestly there are less than a handful of races where I was completely satisfied.  By satisfied I mean that I got just about all that I could out of my body that day.  I think that if I were you I would be pissed that the weather was what it was but satisfied that I got about all that I could out of my body that day.  Of course, I'm not you.

You handled the heat just about as well as anyone could expect, especially considering that you hadn't had a chance to acclimate to it.  You were top 10 female overall.  I know that the time on the clock was not what you were looking for, and it's good that you are hungry for more.  But I also think that it is OK to take away the positives from your race, and there are many.  I don't see it as an either / or.

It's always easier to look back on a race and think you could have done better. You're always less tired, less hot, less something. But in reality, no, you're not. Your line of thinking is pretty much the same as mine. I mean, I didn't throw a fit after this race like I usually do when I run bad Wink Because I didn't run bad. I did what I could. I'm stubborn, but i'm not stubborn enough to believe the voices that tell me "you just suck."

I can't wait to start training again. I'm not just hungry, i'm starving. Monday.